$300 Oopp's today...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7173Vert

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible, 1973 Hardtop
Decided to take the 73 coupe out for a good run to a small Ford Show 50 mi from my home. I had not started the car in months, but tried it last night and it would not start. Did a quick check with some fuel poured down the carb and she ran briefly. Tried starting again and it started right up... Should have paid attention to this red flag... Anyway, I made it fine to the show and on my way back about half way and after constant bumper to bumper traffic, the car died at 60mph... Had to call a flatbed and he was happy to receive 3 solid large bills from me(( ... It didn't take long when I checked the issue at home, found this fuel filter clogged sufficiently to shut me down. I had this carb rebuilt a couple years ago and I recall thinking that this must be the original or an early replacement fuel filter and me liking originality (too much), I put it back on the car, lol. Well, I paid for that bonehead move today. The original was just letting enough fuel by and finally after all the sitting my car's do, it came back to haunt me today. Now, in my defence I am still mourning my wife and not thinking clearly as I should be when it comes to the toy's, but, this was suppose to be a day to move forward a bit and and try to enjoy. It actually was a good day, just not the bumper to bumper traffic coming home and then the engine shutting down. I will be more diligent moving forward)). Do your maintenance or open your wallets...

PS As a side note, I just realized the dealership in the photo of my car coincides with the City this car spent the first 46 years of its life. That's gotta be worth $300...

Attachments

• 73 Coupe Oakland Ford Show August 13 2023.jpg
    73 Coupe Oakland Ford Show August 13 2023.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Motorcraft 19C Fuel Filter Original Defective2.jpg.PNG
    Motorcraft 19C Fuel Filter Original Defective2.jpg.PNG
    972 KB · Views: 0
  • Motorcraft 19C Fuel Filter Original Defective.jpg
    Motorcraft 19C Fuel Filter Original Defective.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Decided to take the 73 coupe out for a good run to a small Ford Show 50 mi from my home. I had not started the car in months, but tried it last night and it would not start. Did a quick check with some fuel poured down the carb and she ran briefly. Tried starting again and it started right up... Should have paid attention to this red flag... Anyway, I made it fine to the show and on my way back about half way and after constant bumper to bumper traffic, the car died at 60mph... Had to call a flatbed and he was happy to receive 3 solid large bills from me(( ... It didn't take long when I checked the issue at home, found this fuel filter clogged sufficiently to shut me down. I had this carb rebuilt a couple years ago and I recall thinking that this must be the original or an early replacement fuel filter and me liking originality (too much), I put it back on the car, lol. Well, I paid for that bonehead move today. The original was just letting enough fuel by and finally after all the sitting my car's do, it came back to haunt me today. Now, in my defence I am still mourning my wife and not thinking clearly as I should be when it comes to the toy's, but, this was suppose to be a day to move forward a bit and and try to enjoy. It actually was a good day, just not the bumper to bumper traffic coming home and then the engine shutting down. I will be more diligent moving forward)). Do your maintenance or open your wallets...

PS As a side note, I just realized the dealership in the photo of my car coincides with the City this car spent the first 46 years of its life. That's gotta be worth $300...
Well, the car looks great! ;)

Decided to take the 73 coupe out for a good run to a small Ford Show 50 mi from my home. I had not started the car in months, but tried it last night and it would not start. Did a quick check with some fuel poured down the carb and she ran briefly. Tried
Sorry to hear about that. Easy to pass things off if it's not an obvious problem. Although I have never been stranded with mine, it is aways there in the back of my mind whenever I'm driving.

Your tow #3 that I'm awhere of this season:
Stanglover, me and now you :(
Yeah, but I bet I made the most mess. That oil stain is still on the parking lot where the HP line blew. ( a friend drives over the Bluewater bridge regularly and just has to remind me!)

Yeah, but I bet I made the most mess. That oil stain is still on the parking lot where the HP line blew. ( a friend drives over the Bluewater bridge regularly and just has to remind me!)
Dont feel bad. I would have been tow #4, but luckily my car died right as I got back to my house. I was able to put it in neutral and roll it down the grade into my back yard and into the shop. And then most the mess I made got contained in there where nobody can shame me for it.

That sucks Ken.
Things like this are why I have CAA Premium and not just for my Mustang. The last tow from Sarnia would have cost me much more than 300 bucks. It's cheap insurance.

I have State Farm, classic car ins. (Although I used to have Hagerty, S.F. was the same price (cheap)). But my point was, that when I was dealing with a sketchy motor, and didn't know if, where or when it'd die, I could use their free flat-bed towing. Hagerty also has it. Heck, I also used my free towing, (with their permission) to tow my car, from home to the garage for it's engine re-build!

Back