What size valves?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omie01

Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
I want to order a new set of stainless valves, one piece, single notch. Anybody know what length they need to be? They are 2.19, 1.70's. Any recommendations?

Ferrea, Manley, or Rev. All are good valves. Whatever you buy, the installed spring height will need to be checked and an appropriate springs, keepers, and retainers selected. Use a competent racing machine shop. Chuck

EDIT: Many of the after market valve are non-stock length as they are made from BBC blanks.

Yes, I was thinking Manley or Ferrea, anybody know what length I need to start with?

I measured stock ford valves with a dial caliper. Intake= 5.202,Exhaust=5.031

Manley lists Intake=5.244, Exhaust=5.042

Ferrea lists Intake=5.060, 5.221, 5.275, 5.349 Exhaust= 5.060

The machine shop must establish equal seat depths and angles then select appropriate keepers, retainers, and springs with the proper on the seat and over the nose pressures. The intake valve is very heavy and hard to control at high RPMs. So if going past about 6500 consider hollow stem valves, beehive springs, and light retainers.

The Ferrea site has lots of good information if you want to read it.

Chuck

Qmar,

I get this when I try to reply to your PM

Please correct the following errors before continuing:

•Omie01 has reached their private message quota so your message could not be sent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back