What tranny

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just pulled the B&M Racing C6 out of my car. It was an excellent transmission with awesome shift quality. Had a 3000 RPM stall Hughes converter and 3.50:1 rear gears. However, the roads here are very high speed and long distance between cities... you generally will drive 85-90 mph on I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix for almost 2 hours. If the roads are empty you can pin it... 150 mph on occasion. You really want the OD gear for high speed driving, the wear and tear is not good for the engine at 4000 RPM cruise.

My 4R70W is being built up right now. It's based on a '98 V6 Mustang case with '03-04 internals. Lots of electronic components that need to replaced in order to make it work with my '96 EEC-V fuel injection harness. It's definitely a bit of a process. I'm using a B&M Shift kit and some heavier duty parts, including a billet multi-disc torque converter. Definitely looking forward to it! I'd say it's not for everyone, but if you like driving on freeways and highways it's definitely a good upgrade.

If overdrive is not part of the equation then you are left with the C-4, C-6, and FMX options.

As far as efficiency ratings (% of horsepower lost in transition) the C-4 and the FMX are on par while the C-6 has a greater loss.

All three transmissions are original options for a Mustang.

What is the normal use Australian transmission? Can you find someone who really knows the FMX? Why not then just stay with the FMX? With a proper rebuild it will easily handle your power output.

I believe C4s are most practical here in Aus just because of availability of parts, shifters, high stalls, etc and as stated they are tuff units with low parasitic loses the fact that there is a lot of local knowledge around making them survive in pretty tuff conditions can only be a plus.

Latest posts

Back