What you guys think of my combo for engine.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exceso

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback Mustang (resto procesS)
2000 Mustang GT (street racer)
Hey guys,

Well I want to more power into muy mustang.

Nice Torque with throttle response and most important, street manners.

I have two option buy a used 5.0 engine from either 94 mustang or used my same 302 block which is older, they have told me is better to buy new because it has modern and already for roller cam which i can buy a kit for my current engine, in both case i am looking at the stage 01 kit which is:

I am looking at top end kits and found this one for 2,529.95 plus 331 for the roller kit cam.

What do you guys think:

KIT/COMBO CONTENTS:

AFR-1402 AFR 165cc emissions legal cylinder heads, 58cc combustion chamber, Pair

TFS-51403001 Camshaft, Track Max, Hydraulic Roller Tappet, Duration @.050 221/225, Lift .499/.510, Ford, Small Block

17043-16 COMP Cams High Energy Die-Cast Aluminum Rocker Arms, 1.6 Ratio, Fits 3/8 in. Stud, Ford, Small Block/351W, Set of 16

AFR-6717 Valve Covers, Stock Height, Cast Aluminum, Black, AFR Logo, Ford, Small Block, Pair

ARP-154-3601 Cylinder Head Bolts, High Performance, Hex Head, Ford, 289-302, Kit

FEL-TCS45449 Gaskets, Timing Cover, Cork/Rubber, Ford, Small Block, Kit

TFS-51400904 Gaskets, Head Set, Ford, 289/302/351W, Set

TFS-51478520 Timing Chain and Gear Set, True Roller, Double Roller, Billet Steel Sprockets, Ford, Small Block, Set

TFS-21406250 Pushrods, Chromemoly, Heat-Treated, 5/16 in. Diameter, 6.250 in. Length, Universal, Set of 16

21400004 Trick Flow OE replacement 302 roller lifters for roller 302/351w blocks, .874" OD

I am probably thinking on a 750 holley carb double pump

Intake don't know if RPM air gap or RPM Performer from edelbrock since my cam is 2500-5500 and those intakes are good until 6,500 RPM.

According to the webpage seller this kit depending on the intake carb combo can take my car to about 310RWHP I would love to see 400 to the wheels but 300 is still pretty fun, plus I will shoot 100 shot nitrous just to get that 400 ponies lol, i would rather without the nitrous but I don't have the money right now to do 331 or 347 stroker, 3,000 is about my budget for parts right now give or take.

are the HP numbers reasonable or ar way off?

Forgot to mention, I will be installing electric waterpump and electric fans, just to get rid of some stress to the engine, don't know if any real gain from that lol, but just to make sure it stays cool enough.

Forgot to mention, I will be installing electric waterpump and electric fans, just to get rid of some stress to the engine, don't know if any real gain from that lol, but just to make sure it stays cool enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say invest in the stroker kit first as the top end parts can be more easily added later. Go 347. A 331 isn't any better than the 347. Oil control issues are not a legitimate concern like perceived as long as the engine is built correctly.

AFR 185 heads are easy power if you already have pistons compatible with a 2.02" intake valve. No need to worry about the emissions legal heads. More things to worry about.

Hey guys,

Well I want to more power into my mustang.

Nice Torque with throttle response and most important, street manners.
Please don't be offended at me but I think you have mixed up thinking/planning.

What do you want to do with the car? Be realistic with your answer. Is it a street driven car? Daily driver? Weekend cruiser? Drag strip duty? What rear gears?

Torque is what you need around town not hp.

Hi Don,

No offense taken.

Street driven car, not a trailer queen haha.

So even though this will not be my 7 day weekly car, If i am in the mood I may want to use it 4 days, or only weekends, it will be definitely a car for the streets but I want to take out most of it to be a quick car, I like taking my car to the drag strip also, maybe once every month or once every 2 month, but i like to drive them fast.

Don't know if any of these make sense or i am just talking wild haha, brakes and suspension will also be upgraded to compensate power.

"Torque wins races. Horsepower sells cars." -Carrol Shelby

A buddy of mine asked for all kinds of advice from me when building up his engine. Granted i'm no expert, but I shared the basics with him as to picking the "right" cam for the type of driving that he (and you'd) be realistically doing. He didn't listen to a word I said and bought a Mother Thumper Comp cam. That decision screwed up his whole car. It sounded real cool but wasn't streetable. He hated the car after that and sold it for a loss. The cam advertisement and high hp hype was too appealing.

Do some research and see if a low rpm power producing cam would better match your car and planned driving style vs. a high rpm high power cam.

Take a look at the Comp 268h cam. http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=792&sb=2

It's a very good one that has excellent street manners and has served me well in my 65's engine. I plan to use that same grind again on my 73 vert's 302 when I rebuild that engine.

If you go 5.0l the stock 5.0 cam is a very good one which was straight from the factory. Add 3.50 gears (or higher if you have an overdrive) and you will be one happy dude.

+1 on MeZapU's post. If you are building a stroker go 347 and use the AFR 205s. You need a cam with more lift to take full advantage of the AFR heads. Figure out what you really expect from the car and contact Bullet Cams for a suggestion. Consider the entire drivetrain when making engine decisions. All the parts need to be compatible to obtain the results you want. No matter which way you go find a competent machine shop that has a good reputation for building high performance engines. Good luck with the build. Chuck

Has anyone out there ever considered putting a 351w in their cars in place of a 302? The stock '69 4v was rated at 290 hp, and I think with just a better intake manifold, 500-600cfm carb, headers, it would give great power for minimum hop up. Just a thought. Seems like a natural but I don't know as I've seen anyone do it.

Back