WHATS YOUR OPINION

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 (M CODE) MACH 1 NOW BBF
OK FELLAS, I AM IN A SMALL DELEMA! WHEN I STARTED ON MY 71 IT HAD ALOT OF PREVIOUS DAMAGE TO THE FRT AND RIGHT 1/4 POST, NOT TO MENTION ALL THE RUST, IT ALSO HAD A 460 IN IT INSTEAD OF THE ORIGINAL 351. SO I WASNT TO SET ON KEEPING IT ORIGINAL. NOW AS THINGS START TO TAKE SHAPE ITS COMING TOGETHER BETTER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD, AND IT APPEARS THAT THE VALUES OF OUR CARS ARE GOING UP ALITTLE. SO MY DELEMA IS, SHOULD I STAY MORE TOWARDS THE ORIGINAL COLOR AND INTERIOR, AND KEEP MY EYES OPEN FOR THE 351 OR NOT BE TO CONCERNED ABOUT THE ORIGINAL THEME.

IM STILL ALONG WAY FROM THE FINAL CHOICE BUT IT BUGS ME, DONT EXPECT TO PAINT TILL MAYBE NEXT WINTER, BUT WILL SOON NEED TO MAKE SOME CHOICES.

OK FELLAS, I AM IN A SMALL DELEMA! WHEN I STARTED ON MY 71 IT HAD ALOT OF PREVIOUS DAMAGE TO THE FRT AND RIGHT 1/4 POST, NOT TO MENTION ALL THE RUST, IT ALSO HAD A 460 IN IT INSTEAD OF THE ORIGINAL 351. SO I WASNT TO SET ON KEEPING IT ORIGINAL. NOW AS THINGS START TO TAKE SHAPE ITS COMING TOGETHER BETTER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD, AND IT APPEARS THAT THE VALUES OF OUR CARS ARE GOING UP ALITTLE. SO MY DELEMA IS, SHOULD I STAY MORE TOWARDS THE ORIGINAL COLOR AND INTERIOR, AND KEEP MY EYES OPEN FOR THE 351 OR NOT BE TO CONCERNED ABOUT THE ORIGINAL THEME.

IM STILL ALONG WAY FROM THE FINAL CHOICE BUT IT BUGS ME, DONT EXPECT TO PAINT TILL MAYBE NEXT WINTER, BUT WILL SOON NEED TO MAKE SOME CHOICES.
Well for me I did not build the car to sell, I will keep it hopefully forever. So I built what I wanted not what I should have or what was exactly correct. In the end its yours.

Hey Pappy!!! how are you!??... Roy is right... it depends on what you are planning to do in the future with the car, but i understand what you mean... one thing is build a car for sale but the reality sometimes force us to sell it someday and if the car is enjoiable as it supposed to be, then why modify?

I´m not a modifier and i dont believe mustangs are race cars.. they are fun to drive but for me, the difference between a super big engine and a big but original one is not always more fun... I also like the feeling of an old "soft" car, that´s why for example, i preffer the factory stock set up in suspension as a performance one...

For me, a original car is not only more valuable but it is also more fun... i like to feel i´m riding a classic car, not a modern car with old looks....

I don't know...once your numbers don't match, it will never match so I tend to agree with the others. Build it the way you want it! If it were a historical or special car then I'd try to keep original but both of ours are not 100% original.

Pappy,x2 on what Roy said. My car is set up for more racing with some street use. I have kept all the original parts boxed up. The car is going to my grandson when he turns 18. At that time I will put it back stock,but for now I will enjoy what I am doing with it. In the long run it is up to you.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Pappy, based on your stated sentiments I would recommend a combination of a couple of things that have been said in this thread.

If you like the original color, I would paint it that color as paint (when done correctly) can take a LOT of time and money. As to the drive train, it has been my experience that swapping out engines, transmissions and rear ends (while potentially expensive) does not necessarily take a lot of time. This is especially true if you have already gathered the "original" or "like original" parts.

The "BEAUTY" of modifying is you can make the car EXACTLY the way you want it now, utilizing new technologies in combination with old technologies if that is your wish. If you want a "Racer", you can do it; if you want a "Street Terror", you can do that; if you want a cruiser, you can do that; etc., etc.

In short, if you are even thinking about using the car as an investment, I would "plan" for that when making any changes. Over the years, I have gathered extra Clevelands Blocks, Heads and the like in the event I decided to pull out the big blocks...again just hedging my bets.

Hope this helps.

BT

Pappy

At the end of the day ....it's your car, do what makes you happy. That's the thing I love about Mustang's there is no right or wrong , the Mustang lends itself to any incarnation you can think of.

If you like the original color combination Go with that. If you don't, change it to another combination that was available for your car. As far as protecting your financial investment goes, the 351 would get the nod. Especially if the car was originally a 351C 4V car. With properly matched components, a 351 can satisfy most peoples need for speed. If you just love the idea of having a big block, run it. My opinion is biased towards cars that are stock appearing but are fast. It's probably connected to the youthful experience of earning some money on the street. Really think about what you want the car to do and the relative importance of minimizing financial loss should you sell the car. In the end it is your car. Build it the way you really want to. The only person you need to please is you. JMO

Chuck

Well for me I did not build the car to sell, I will keep it hopefully forever. So I built what I wanted not what I should have or what was exactly correct. In the end its yours.
+1 Pappy !It is yours do what YOU like.If we were in this for the profit,we are not very smart peaple !

PC250021.JPG

Pappy

At the end of the day ....it's your car, do what makes you happy. That's the thing I love about Mustang's there is no right or wrong , the Mustang lends itself to any incarnation you can think of.

I agree completely. The only person you need to please is you. Even if you decide to cut the car for modifications, with the parts available today it can be restored to "stock down" the road anyway.

If a modified car is done well the value can be greater than a comparative "stock" restoration. Unless it's rare do what you want.

I vote make it yours like most. If your looking for value and future resale, that's going to cost big money, and as rockfoot already mentioned the number won't match so your still looking at a restomod.

Alan L

I KNEW YOU GUYS COULD STRAIGHTEN OUT MY CONFUSION. I HAVE THOUGHT SO MUCH ABOUT IT AND LOOKED AT SO MANY PICS, IT WAS GETTING JUMBLED.

I LOVE FAST E'S CAR, HE HAS PLAYED WITH MANY COMBINATIONS BUT STILL KEPTED THE ORIGINAL LOOK.

COBRA IS RIGHT FOR HIS INPUT AND FOR A COMPETENT REASON.

C9ZX HAS PRETTY MUCH TOOK ME BACK TO THE BEGINNING BY SAYING HAVE FUN, PLAY WITH IT, BUT KEEP THE ORIGINAL LOOK AND THE ORIGINAL PARTS.

AND COIL WIRE IS ON THE SAME PAGE, WHEN HE SAYS HE WANTS TO HAND IT DOWN PRETTY MUCH ORIGINAL.

SO I GUESS THE BOTTOM LINE IS KEEP IT LOOKING ORIGINAL BODY WISE, AND COLOR, AND THEN HAVE A SHITLOAD OF FUN IN THE MEANTIME. AND ITS IRONIC THAT THE FIRST TWO REPLYS TO MY POST BOTH HAVE SILVER CARS CAUSE THATS MINES ORIGINAL COLOR.

THANKS TO ALL OF MY NEW FRIENDS. I OWE YOU.

I agree with the original look but my problem is I do not think I like the brown color of my car. I would like to change it but after reading every thing in here I think I will change a little off the brown and add some black to it so I think it looks better. any other changes I am doing to the car will only be bolt on, I have all the # stock parts. My car is also going to my grandson he is only 1 1/2 years old so I have lots of time for me to have fun with it. I am finding it hard to not keep it 100% stock but like someone said, it is mine I should be happy with it!!!

Good luck with yours and have fun!!!

This is what mine would look like stock!!

Mustang.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I KNEW YOU GUYS COULD STRAIGHTEN OUT MY CONFUSION. I HAVE THOUGHT SO MUCH ABOUT IT AND LOOKED AT SO MANY PICS, IT WAS GETTING JUMBLED.

I LOVE FAST E'S CAR, HE HAS PLAYED WITH MANY COMBINATIONS BUT STILL KEPTED THE ORIGINAL LOOK.

COBRA IS RIGHT FOR HIS INPUT AND FOR A COMPETENT REASON.

C9ZX HAS PRETTY MUCH TOOK ME BACK TO THE BEGINNING BY SAYING HAVE FUN, PLAY WITH IT, BUT KEEP THE ORIGINAL LOOK AND THE ORIGINAL PARTS.

AND COIL WIRE IS ON THE SAME PAGE, WHEN HE SAYS HE WANTS TO HAND IT DOWN PRETTY MUCH ORIGINAL.

SO I GUESS THE BOTTOM LINE IS KEEP IT LOOKING ORIGINAL BODY WISE, AND COLOR, AND THEN HAVE A SHITLOAD OF FUN IN THE MEANTIME. AND ITS IRONIC THAT THE FIRST TWO REPLYS TO MY POST BOTH HAVE SILVER CARS CAUSE THATS MINES ORIGINAL COLOR.

THANKS TO ALL OF MY NEW FRIENDS. I OWE YOU.

I agree with the original look but my problem is I do not think I like the brown color of my car. I would like to change it but after reading every thing in here I think I will change a little off the brown and add some black to it so I think it looks better. any other changes I am doing to the car will only be bolt on, I have all the # stock parts. My car is also going to my grandson he is only 1 1/2 years old so I have lots of time for me to have fun with it. I am finding it hard to not keep it 100% stock but like someone said, it is mine I should be happy with it!!!

Doc, that brown color is beginning to be popular on new cars again, but I haven't decided if I like it yet...

One more thing Pappy, don't you have a son-in-law that needs a run for his money with a Camaro? I vote Big Block! ;)

YOUR ABSOLUTELY RIGHT BADMACH!! UNFORTUNATELY WITH THE ADDITION OF A LITTLE ONE AND BUYING A HOUSE THE CAR HAD TO SELL. BUT ITS ONLY 6 MILES FROM ME AND OWNED BY A FRIEND. HE TOOK IT OFF THE STREET, CHANGED REAR GEARS AND ADDED 14X30 SLICKS BUT I STILL KNOW WHERE TO FIND IT ON ABOUT EVERY SAT. NIGHT. SO THE FUN IS STILL ALIVE...

Docweld, If you don't like the color, and you plan on painting the car, change it to something that was available that you do like. If done properly, it won't hurt the value of our cars, the possible exception being B351. It doesn't have to be 100% original, mine isn't original under the hood and won't be. I like the B351 valve covers, black headers, Holley carb, and BT intake. It is my car, and it is Burger King. I get it my way.

Chuck

There is another issue we are not talking here... When we say Originality is better business than modification we are missing a few things...

You can modify a car and make it better in design that all the other rest of original cars are... Take Chip Foose for example... I DONT LIKE HIS CARS but do you think whatever he is doing worth less than the original car he took and modify?

Yes... you can say he´s kinda celebrity and that´s why his cars worth 100.000 dollars + but what i´m trying to say is that you can make a good quality modification, with suitable ideas and based on performance and you are actually building a new type of car... Check ebay and you´ll see a lot of modified mustangs that are trully expensive...

I think you guys in the USA can access to diferent type of buyers... The universal car colector wont pay for a modified car but there are plenty of guys that are willing to see the modifications with good eye and pay not only for the improovements you can actually make but for the "taste"... the design you paste in the car...

IMG_0005.JPG

I did this to my first mustang... and i´m now far far far away from that looks in my cars but even if this picture doesn´t show te car totally completed (it came out really nice looking actually :p) You can see it is a 1970 hardtop with heavily modified body

I look at the pictures now and i dont like the car at all... besides, that was a really accidented car used to street race and so...

I sold this car in 22.000 dollars and the guy who bought it still calls me sometimes to thank me for the wonderfull car...

This car is NOT WONDERFUL at all but here is an example of a guy willing to pay even more than a not professional but to original looks restoration worth nowadays...

Bottom line... I vote for originality because it is my personal taste these days, but Pappy... if you want something different in your car DO IT... but think what you are going to do, do it right and pretty and dont get bored after a year of your modified looking car...

If there´s any truth in this matter is that a classical look is going to be classic forever... We dont get bored of the looks of a wonderful car history era...

+1 Pappy !It is yours do what YOU like. If we were in this for the profit,we are not very smart people !
I almost missed this statement by FastE but it pretty much sums up the entire 71-73 forum in one statement.

Back