Which RWL Tire Brand / Wheel & Tire Simulator

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewAgeMuscle

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
*Edit*

Thanks to the replies I have decided against the Hankooks as the front width would be too wide. Now I'm seeking input any of you guys have on which RWL Tire brand to go with? BF Goodrich Radial T/As, Mickey Thompson Sportsmans S/Ts, Mastercraft Avenger G/Ts, or Cooper Cobra Radial G/Ts.... 

And lastly, as a side note, if anyone has experience with this wheel / tire simulator:

https://autoplicity.com/226592-percys-high-performance-wheelrite-wheel-and-tire-simulator?gclid=COr4mZiX5dICFQwUgQodcosI7A

Looking for a new setup on my car and am really interested in the Hankook Ventus H101s: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+H101&sidewall=Painted%20White%20Letters&partnum=95SR5H101&tab=Sizes#RatingsReviews

Unfortunately they only have 265s, 275s and 295s..

Would like to go 295's in the back and 265's in the front I guess. Do you guys think i'll be able to run a 15x8 4.5 inch backspace in the front with those tires? Planning on using Magnum 500 rims. (Going for the white lettering look, so getting the rears only and a different front tire probably wont be a choice)

Thanks for the help!

Adam

Here's a pic for fun  :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I think so I run 255's up front and there is plenty of room. I'm on 17's though and I am lowered about an inch-biggest concern I would have is that with that much backspacing you may have interference with the ball joint. Backspacing sounds about right

I think so I run 255's up front and there is plenty of room.  I'm on 17's though and I am lowered about an inch-biggest concern I would have is that with that much backspacing you may have interference with the ball joint.  Backspacing sounds about right
Your car looks great by the looks of it on the banner! Right so you've said "with that much backspacing you may have interference with the ball joint." then "backspacing sounds about right". So what you're saying is 4.5 inches sounds like a good amount of backspacing, but I may have a problem with hitting the balljoint? 

Also a little off topic, what width are you running in the front? I tried a 17x8 (from a 2005 mustang gt) on my '72 to test fitment and I couldn't even get the wheel on because it was hitting either the lower control arm or upper ball joint.

Due to backspacing/offset on newer wheels you have to use spacers between the hub and wheel for them to fit right.

This thread might help you:

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-what-s-the-widest-tire?

You can find more by searching the forum for tire sizes and wheel size.
Ah I see, but yea decided against the newer wheels and will stick with the Magnum 500's. Thank you for linking the thread, it confirmed that the 295's with a 15x10 and 5 inch backspace will fit nicely in the rear.

Didn't see anything regarding a 15x8 with a 4.5 inch backspace though for the front, I see that people are running 255's like Jeff said above in the front, so do you think I should be fine running 265's there? Jeff said he's running 255's and has space with 17's will running a 15's give me less room for error?

There will be two potential problems, the inside bulge of the tire will be wider and more likely to contact something, plus the bulge in the tire will be closer to the center of the spindle than what Jeff is running. What wheels and tires are you running now? You might be able to calculate the differences in size between what you have now and what you want and try to see where your existing tires and wheels clear the various components and how much room it looks like you have. It won't be precise, but should give you an idea.

Are you going to buy the tires from a local dealer? You might talk to them and see if they'll let you test fit the new tires on your new wheels, and if they don't fit buy a smaller size from them. If you buy your new wheels from them they may be even more likely to work with you.

Hi Adam,

265'S on a 15 inch Magnum rim up front won't work well at all. Fit issues, plus handling issues will beset you.

The optimum package for a good trouble free fit, and ride/ handling thing, is a 245/60 R15 Tire on a 8x15 rim with a 4.5 inch backspace. Zero issues with that set up. I run that setup on my'73 Vert, and it's top dog all 'round for me. ::thumb:: Love it. Also consider  overall diameters when teaming up front and back tires. I run 245/60's up front and 295/50's on the back. Both overall diameters are almost the same in this case, and a good marriage of sizes.

I've never done it, but i know some guys have put a 255/60 R15 tire up front and from what i know, there have been no issues per say. That's of course, a wider tire, so handling could be more of a problem with that 255/60 tire on. I run Mastercraft Avenger tires on my two '73 Mustangs, and i love them, but T/A Radials are great as well.

Greg. :)

4.5 sounds like it would be right, but there is no way you can tell without mocking it up. Because the 17's provide more clearance for the ball joint, my results aren't going to be a sufficient predictor for you. What you might want to do is get a wheel simulator that you can bolt on to the spindle. Not sure if you can rent one or borrow one anywhere.

https://autoplicity.com/226592-percys-high-performance-wheelrite-wheel-and-tire-simulator?gclid=COr4mZiX5dICFQwUgQodcosI7A

I also believe you could make a similar item with hanger wire and plywood etc

There will be two potential problems, the inside bulge of the tire will be wider and more likely to contact something, plus the bulge in the tire will be closer to the center of the spindle than what Jeff is running. What wheels and tires are you running now? You might be able to calculate the differences in size between what you have now and what you want and try to see where your existing tires and wheels clear the various components and how much room it looks like you have. It won't be precise, but should give you an idea.

Are you going to buy the tires from a local dealer? You might talk to them and see if they'll let you test fit the new tires on your new wheels, and if they don't fit buy a smaller size from them. If you buy your new wheels from them they may be even more likely to work with you.
I will probably be getting the tires online and finding some used magnum 500's on craigslist due to my student budget  :shootself: so likely won't be able to test fit unfortunately..

Hi Adam,

265'S on a 15 inch Magnum rim up front won't work well at all. Fit issues, plus handling issues will beset you.

The optimum package for a good trouble free fit, and ride/ handling thing, is a 245/60 R15 Tire on a 8x15 rim with a 4.5 inch backspace. Zero issues with that set up. I run that setup on my'73 Vert, and it's top dog all 'round for me. ::thumb:: Love it. Also consider  overall diameters when teaming up front and back tires. I run 245/60's up front and 295/50's on the back. Both overall diameters are almost the same in this case, and a good marriage of sizes.

I've never done it, but i know some guys have put a 255/60 R15 tire up front and from what i know, there have been no issues per say. That's of course, a wider tire, so handling could be more of a problem with that 255/60 tire on. I run Mastercraft Avenger tires on my two '73 Mustangs, and i love them, but T/A Radials are great as well.

Greg. :)
Okay I see, will decide against the Hankook tires then if the 265's up front will kill the handling even more. Those Mastercrafts look really good on your car! I currently have bald and dry rotted T/A radials, but love the RWL look. Has anyone tried the Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T's? I will stick to what you're saying and run 245's in the front and 295's out back. 

So basically now the question is, Mickey Thompsons, BF Goodrich Radial T/A's, Cooper Cobras or Mastercraft Avengers.. Sounds like they're all great options, anyone run any of those aforementioned tires? I live in Vancouver, Canada and my '72 is my daily so would like something semi-decent in the wet.

Thanks for all your help!

4.5 sounds like it would be right, but there is no way you can tell without mocking it up.  Because the 17's provide more clearance for the ball joint, my results aren't going to be a sufficient predictor for you.  What you might want to do is get a wheel simulator that you can bolt on to the spindle.  Not sure if you can rent one or borrow one anywhere.

I also believe you could make a similar item with hanger wire and plywood etc
Wow.... If I knew such a tool existed would have spent the $60 awhile ago... My friends and I are all looking for new setups so this would save us a ton of time and we won't have to worry about buying wheels that don't fit  :whistling:

Thanks so much for this suggestion!

*Edit* Seeing a lot of negative reviews due to the cheap plastic it's made of, has anyone had experience with it on here? Or know of any companies that make a similar product?

There are other similar products, but I suspect if you handle it with reasonable care it will be just fine. One thing to remember is to put the car on jack stands and then to jack up the corner you are checking by the suspension and check through a full range of suspension travel and full lock to lock steering.

I'm running Cooper Cobras in the same sizes as Austin Vert on Cragar S/S rims.  I still have probably less than 100 miles on mine, but so far, so good.

A lot of people complain about the Cobras - especially for wet weather traction (or lack there of).  You might want to heed their warnings, as I have no experience with mine an wet roads (and likely won't, either).

The general consensus is that the BFGs are the best, Mastercraft and M/Ts tied for second, and the Cobras - only because of the cheaper prices... but oddly enough, Cooper, Mastercraft, and Mickey Thompson are all owned by the same conglomerate corporation.

I'm running Cooper Cobras in the same sizes as Austin Vert on Cragar S/S rims.  I still have probably less than 100 miles on mine, but so far, so good.

A lot of people complain about the Cobras - especially for wet weather traction (or lack there of).  You might want to heed their warnings, as I have no experience with mine an wet roads (and likely won't, either).

The general consensus is that the BFGs are the best, Mastercraft and M/Ts tied for second, and the Cobras - only because of the cheaper prices... but oddly enough, Cooper, Mastercraft, and Mickey Thompson are all owned by the same conglomerate corporation.
Thanks for the info, will probably go with Mickey Thompsons in the front on a 15x8 rim 245/50/15 4.5" backspace and 15x10 rim 295/50/15 with a 5.5" backspace on magnum 500's! Will update you guys when I grab the setup if I decide on it :)

Back