Which sticker is right?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David, MCA has done a lot of good for the Mustang community, and in the same token, has been such a PIA at car shows I quit going. I originally joined in the late 70's. Joined the local chapter, got my judging card, went to all the shows, etc. When you went to the big shows you had to deal with the Monarchy and their rules that would pick apart a car I KNEW was the same as the day it left the factory. I went through it with my 85 GT and a 95 Mustang Cobra. Still am a member, but mostly for the Mustang Times magazine.

The "Good" book I was referring to was one I actually found in Charlotte at the car show years ago at Osborne Reproductions. They had row after row of brochures, shop manuals, reference materials, old car advertisements, etc. Some items were reproduction and the original were in unbelievably good condition. I searched through dozens of "Ford" boxes and had armloads of "Loot". When I showed my bounty to the shop tech's, none of them had seen the book with the engine ID tag numbers. I believe some of the shop manuals and parts books had some of the ID info.

I had mentioned Marti since he claims they can make a new metal tag using your deluxe report if your original is missing. Didn't know if they could do the same for the paper tag.

bkdunha's post about the inspection stickers is spot on. There was an endless line of cars expected to be built and out the door that day. Did some stickers not get placed? You betcha! I had posted one time I wished we could snag a retired Dearborn line worker to give us some real life accounts of life on the assembly line. Boss1Ray had posted a interview with a Pinto line worked who had remembered seeing half smoked joints in the ash trays as the cars rolled by! Missing screws, stickers, etc! Oh yeah!

David, there was a kit from Ford where you could add power brakes to your drum brake car. Had everything needed, including the brake pedal for A/T and the part number to order for the M/T pedal. Ford called it a power brake booster installation kit (D3ZZ-2A091-A). If your car has power disk, then should be on your report as that was a RPO only item. Hope this has helped some and not added to the confusion! :)

The Marti tag book says 1973 351C 2V would be 604 and the C indicated Cleveland engine plant, the G indicates AC. The prefix should be KK for California with EGR and no thermactor. So, if Marti is correct, neither tag is correct. Chuck
Interesting. My 73 Mach 1 still has the original tag on the cover, see attached pic. Does this agree with the Marti numbers? You cannot see the top right but it is all there.

It is Q code 4 speed, air, power windows, rear defogger, PB, PS pretty much everything you could hang on it.

Heck I have found a couple errors in the Ford shop manuals one for the 65 convertible spacing for the roof bows to apply the top and 85 SVO has wire harness on the wrong side. Manual says under passenger seat and it is under the drivers seat. There are so many errors in all this stuff never know what is right even when new.
David. Could I trouble you to post another picture showing more of that snorkel and part number stamped on it as well as the air cleaner assembly on this car?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The Marti tag book says 1973 351C 2V would be 604 and the C indicated Cleveland engine plant, the G indicates AC. The prefix should be KK for California with EGR and no thermactor. So, if Marti is correct, neither tag is correct. Chuck
Interesting. My 73 Mach 1 still has the original tag on the cover, see attached pic. Does this agree with the Marti numbers? You cannot see the top right but it is all there.

It is Q code 4 speed, air, power windows, rear defogger, PB, PS pretty much everything you could hang on it.

Heck I have found a couple errors in the Ford shop manuals one for the 65 convertible spacing for the roof bows to apply the top and 85 SVO has wire harness on the wrong side. Manual says under passenger seat and it is under the drivers seat. There are so many errors in all this stuff never know what is right even when new.
David. Could I trouble you to post another picture showing more of that snorkel and part number stamped on it as well as the air cleaner assembly on this car?

Here are a couple more pics. Can get others if you want. 30+ years of dust and pollen on everything.

David

100_2216.JPG

Here are a couple more pics. Can get others if you want. 30+ years of dust and pollen on everything.

David
thanks David. Can you tell me the part number stamped on the snorkel and also, did this year have the vacuum door on the air cleaner? I don't see it in the photos so I think not.

I know we're talking engine ID stickers for a 73 here, but it's the same for most of our cars and years. I had to have mine made at a Graphics shop, 'copying it' from one that I could get from Jim Osborn Reproductions. (via NPD). I contacted Jim Osborn to ask why they are not all reproduced and the answer I got was, " unless we have an original from Ford, we cannot license it". The only ones they do reproduce are ones that there are certified originals for.

Here's a pic of my 71 for a 351C 4V 4 speed.

I know we're talking engine ID stickers for a 73 here, but it's the same for most of our cars and years. I had to have mine made at a Graphics shop, 'copying it' from one that I could get from Jim Osborn Reproductions. (via NPD). I contacted Jim Osborn to ask why they are not all reproduced and the answer I got was, " unless we have an original from Ford, we cannot license it". The only ones they do reproduce are ones that there are certified originals for.

Here's a pic of my 71 for a 351C 4V 4 speed.
I had to do the same thing. I got one that was close from Osborn and had them made. They came out pretty good, The one I got from Osborn had blue lettering and the one on my car had black lettering. I wonder if Ford did engine stickers in 2 colors??? All need to is find the right size hole punch.

John J

img fan20190317_21453465.pdf

Attachments

• img fan20190317_21453465.pdf
    7.9 KB
Back