why did u get your mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i always wanted an old car. when i was growing up my dad always had 3rd hand used cars. he drove a 1969 Chevy impala with a stop sign as a floor. He was a mechanic back in the early 1970s, and tried his hardest to discourage me from doing something stupid and driving something over 15 years old.

in the 1980s i was walking with a friend of mine and we came upon a Rusted out Blue car with argent colored trim. It sported 4 flat tires and had all manner of things dangling underneath it. it was covered in dead leafs and i'm sure had not moved in years from that spot on the street.

My friend declared it the ugliest thing he had ever seen, i had to have one.

20 years later i bought one just like it. my dad was right.

i always wanted an old car. when i was growing up my dad always had 3rd hand used cars. he drove a 1969 Chevy impala with a stop sign as a floor. He was a mechanic back in the early 1970s, and tried his hardest to discourage me from doing something stupid and driving something over 15 years old.

in the 1980s i was walking with a friend of mine and we came upon a Rusted out Blue car with argent colored trim. It sported 4 flat tires and had all manner of things dangling underneath it. it was covered in dead leafs and i'm sure had not moved in years from that spot on the street.

My friend declared it the ugliest thing he had ever seen, i had to have one.

20 years later i bought one just like it. my dad was right.
So am I passing on a curse to my boys by fixing these "coolest cars ever" (their words) up for them (and me)?

In the mid 80's we lived in an apartment complex that had a very tired 73 Convertible sitting on 4 flat tires. It had sat there so long that they had black topped the parking lot around it. We got in it and found the owners name in the glove box. She was listed in the phone book, we called and she agreed to sign it over to us. She said it had sat over the winter a few years back and would not start that spring.

Just a little TLC, new battery, some fresh gas, and it fired right up. 302, 2bbl, 3 speed and rust. The dry rotted top blew off the first trip down the highway. We did little other than drive it. 200,000 plus miles, a few different engines, a couple of 4 speeds, it finally got so weak that it was not safe to drive.

Shortly after we got the convertible we picked up a 73 Grande and drove it till had nothing left. They both went for MO to FL and back over the course of 15 years. Oddly Both cars were built the same day April 18th.

We parked them together under a tree on our farm until someone drove by and offered us 2500.00 for the pair. My wife cried a little bit as he hauled them off.

15 years later my 14 year old son finds a decent but apart 73 convertible on craigs list and my wife says she wants one again. It has been here about a month. Then we find 2 converible parts cars. Wife says it is time to stop getting cars and get one built.

My boys and I are having fun tearing into this project.

- Paul of MO

Last edited by a moderator:
wow amazing stories all...read them all!

reason i got my mustang...all started from my dad..he got a shelby gt350 with the roll bar and 5 point seat belts right out of high school....he sold it while i was in dipers...but..he was a car nut...he would drag in any car from model t's too hearses....and many mach 1's.....kids would wait at school just too see what odd car i would be dropped off in...lol..every week..i was showing up in some thing odd....i remmeber my dad had a mach one..painted like a flag kinda..stars n stripes...got pulled over going threw town while i was in it for speeding..hehe.....well finaly when i was about 13 he picked up a 1973 blue mach 1 4v...i was struck!! too me....was the most amazing car he owned...it got more compliments at the store than anything we ever drove....people chased us around asking if he wanted to sell it..lol...well some one offered him so much..he took it..i was devistated!! and he knew it...cause for once..i thought it would maybe be my car some day.....well i was about to turn 18 and get out of high school he picked up this beautiful red mach 1...too me..was perfict...not the blue one we use to own....but i quickly fell in love with it just as fast....he let me drive it around a few times...and finaly..a storm blew..and a big camper fell on the fender and messed it up a bit.....he told me..i will sell you that car for 1500 bucks!! i said sold!! ..he even tried to buy it back..and his freinds have tried to buy it from me...and i wont let go of it for nothing..means alot too me...and hope too pick up another.. give me 1971-73 stangs or give me death!!! {grins}

Hi all

Here in OZ we dont have that much of a choice re Mustangs

but I always wanted a Mach 1 like diamonds are for ever

not too many around here

anyway I looked in the papers on ebay and asked around

I found a convertible for $15k down in Melbourne

1200 miles south of here

I followed it but missed out when it finally sold for $22K

well out of curiosity I typed in Mustang convertible

and up came 72 convertible Right hand drive starts and drives $10k

well on to the phone I go

the next day Im on plane check the car have a drive

and hand over $9700 which was $10k less the airfare

so now Im the proud owner of a 72 convertible

thanks John

Never trust a dog to hold a sandwich

The Mach is my father's favorite car. When i turned 16 I was nagging my dad about a car. He told me if i would take the mach he would paint it and buy some wheels for it. The car is still in my possession with the same wheels and the same paint job.

With me it was pretty simple. I had wanted an American car since I was a kid. As I live in Europe, American cars are scarce and exotic, but growing up on Starsky & Hutch, The Fall Guy and the like left an impression on some of us.

So one day I found my Mustang in the local classifieds, I went to take a look at it and bought it, although it was not the model I wanted at the time. But it was there for sale, so I grabbed it.

Turned out to be a rust bucket that had been almost totaled more than once, so, looking back, I shoulda left it where it was. Took a lot of TLC and even more money until it looked like it does now.

Oh, by the way, meanwhile I'm really happy that it is not one of the "common" 65-70 Mustangs and I love that it is a 71-73, as they are truly rare around here, especially the ragtops.

Okay, I bought my Mustang because I could not purchase an Australian made GS/GT falcon for the price I bought my 73 mach 1. I had an XB GS as my second car, loved the car, courted my wife in this car and always got heaps of comments to how nice the car was, anyhow, had to sell this car when I started my own businness, i regreted it and have always talked about how good a car it was and how well it drived. About a year ago I started to hunt around for another Aussie made Ford Falcon GS or GT, I struggled to find a car that was in good condition, most had rust issues and the prices where out of my reach, I decided to look abroad and the 71-73 Mach 1's instantly stood out, the 73 has many similarities to our XB falcon coupes, the 73 I bought had the same running gear as my Falcon, also had power steering and disc brake front end like my Falcon and to top it off it even drives like my old XB falcon. Gotta say I am totally wrapped in my Mach 1, and to top it off my two boys look to have inherited my Blue Blood and are in total awe of the car!!!!

Well... This is an excelent thread by the way!... I think i did tell some of the story of my mustang here and there but here it goes again and compacted! :p

I grew up in my born city in Montevideo, Uruguay in an average neighbour, average family and it goes something like this...

In here, ANY american car is gold... Expensive from day one, rare as hell and like a "show-off" ride too... Imagine this scenario, 20 years ago when i was a kid that played soccer in the street with my friends...

Arround my house back then, there was this weird guy, very small, skinny and owner of a space ship look alike car (AKA my mustang!)

I remember perfectly the shine of its red paint as the car passed by in front of my assorted eyes almost daily... Well... i knew the car since back then and that was why, one day i decided i was going to try to purchase a mustang... That was almost a decade ago and i ended up with a detroyed 1970 hardtop... Well.. another story there...

This fastback, was always there, metter away from my parents house and his owner as he was getting older, he was doing more and more "mods" to the car until the point it looked like a christmas tree!!... One day, the car dissapiared... I inmediately went to ask him and he told me it had been stolen... :( :( :( The hole neighbour was sad... can you imagine??... this was and still is the ONLY 71-73 FASTBACK IN MY COUNTRY.... Days later, the car "was back"... interior was a mess... wheels were gone, paint was all scratched and so on... That was about 7 years ago...

I offered the owner my hands and all my knowledge to help him put the car together again for free... just to help him and see the car back on the street... He refused of course, telling me he was going to do a full restoration with it... The guy dissambled the hole car and did some floor replacements here and there but basically the car sat in his backyard for 5-6 years...

The car was NOT FOR SALE even with a sign that said that!!.. One day i bump into the guy and he ask me a few questions about the condition of the shell.. i went to look at the car (was a mess... every body part was laying in the grass with the sky as roof!) and told him that the car was ugly looking but good in shape... No hits or big dents in his hole history...

I remember i was looking at a very ugly patch in the inner cowl just above the glovebox area when the guy touch my knee and tell me... "Damián, do you want the car?"... It shocked me big time!... i went there to try to help him with HIS LIFETIME car...

I said yes Diego, since I was a kid i want your car... Then he tells me, can you afford it?... And i told him my truth... Diego, i have 7000 dollars in my account... He said Damián, the car is yours... lets start it and take it now...

Well.. long story short, the guy realiced he wasnt gonna be able to put the mustang back in the street ever again and he didn´t want to sell it to some rich collector and loose track of the car...

7000 dollars was a bargain... i sold the trushed 70 hardtop all modified and horrible for 22K and an another 66 with a 220 mercedes benz diessel engine and with an evidence of a big front hit for 11K...

Well.. i did not restore my fastback actually... i had no money to put in the car because of some loans i had to pay with the other car money so i decided to TLC my fastback using materials I had in my shop... Including me Ivy Glow paint, etc...

Well... As this car is my dream car... i decided not to sell it NEVER so... i´m enjoying every nut i put back on it :)

Thanks for reading!! dancebanana

Back