Why the change from 2 to 1 hood latch supports?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danoreilly

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach1 351C 4V
02 Deluxe Convertible
67 Fairlane GT 390
Just out of idle curiosity, does anybody have any idea why/when Ford changed from double hood catch supports to a single one? It can't be weight, the things don't weigh more than 3 or so pounds. My 71 Mach (build date early Dec 1970) has the double setup

Ehhhh... Which one was first? My car has standard hood and Mach 1 grille from factory, it is from april 1972 and it has single hood latch... Just one bracket to the grill too despite the grille has both kind of mounting spots..

I think maybe the right design was the doble latch but as the single one was used in most mustangs, an overstock

As i said... Damn iPhone... An overstock of single and more common latches can expolian its use on mach1 too...

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the 429 mustang mega site, changeover was May/June '71 with the exact changeover date still undetermined. See

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/mustang_exterior.htm

and scroll down to Hood Latch Support.

My 09/70 build Mach 1 has dual supports.

- Manfred

Are we talking about the threaded adjustable "buttons" that keep the hood from rattling/moving?. If so mine has 2.
Nope. Talking about hood latch support (I hope at least ;-)

- Manfred

Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of idle curiosity, does anybody have any idea why/when Ford changed from double hood catch supports to a single one? It can't be weight, the things don't weigh more than 3 or so pounds. My 71 Mach (build date early Dec 1970) has the double setup
A well paid bean counter calculated it would lower cost by $ 1.21125 per unit. I really don't know but the above is my best guess. Chuck

According to the 429 mustang mega site, changeover was May/June '71 with the exact changeover date still undetermined. See

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/mustang_exterior.htm

and scroll down to Hood Latch Support.

My 09/70 build Mach 1 has dual supports.

- Manfred

Are we talking about the threaded adjustable "buttons" that keep the hood from rattling/moving?. If so mine has 2.
Nope. Talking about hood latch support (I hope at least ;-)

- Manfred
I get it now. Thanks for the education. I never noticed there was a 2 support version.

Back