Will our cars ever become as desirable as older Mustangs?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
I see prices all over the place for my 1972 Mach 1 Q code 4 speed.  I was just wondering if you guys think we will ever see the bigger prices for our cars like you see with the older Mustangs?  I don't want to sale my car but I would like to think I will eventually have a valuable classic.

I personally do not see a possibility for gain.

The show I was at couple weeks ago had way more newer Mustangs that older. They are faster, better, more creature comforts and the young people love them.

If you go to the N.E. Georgia Mustang club site you can go through the pictures of the cars as they entered the field. Every car got it's picture made. I have my 73 vert there and there was a 73 Mach 1. There are three people in this area that have running 71 - 73 cars and two working on them.

The boss cars 2, 9 & 1 are mostly vanity cars. Yes there are a few that own them because they had one new or their dad did. Most are owned so they can say "Look what I have", lol.

Even the earlier Mustangs are dropping off in numbers at the shows. By far the Fox body and newer Mustang out number at the shows. When I attended the show in Michigan at the Ford Dearborn facility the new Mustangs way out number the old.

Just like the Model T and Model A have gone so will the older Mustangs. There was not a single Model T or A at that show this year and was open to any Ford vehicle. Use to see dozens there. They have all died out just like we will.

Never build one of these cars thinking it is an investment. Not even a Boss 351 would be an investment now. Cost you way more to restore than it will ever sell for.

When I filled my car up with gas the other day one person ask me what year Challenger was it and another ask what kind of car it was, lol. They looked to be in their thirties.

You would be hard pressed to find a young person in their 20's or 30's that would have any interest in a 71 - 73 model Mustang.

The newer ones run circles around the old ones in 1/4 mile or top end and get twice the gas mileage, and cost way less than restoring one of these rusty hulks.

Just my observations. I have a 37 year old that want's none of them he bought a 2018 GT Mustang.

Maybe.

I have seen the “hunters” on Craigslist listings with cash WTB ads start to list 71-73’s on their desired lists. That wasn’t the case a few years ago.

Values stateside can be raised by demand elsewhere. It happened with air cooled VWs over a decade ago. Overseas values skyrocketed and hunters would pick up whatever they could to export. I watched cars vanish from my buddies VW yard that were so rusty and crusty that most people wouldn’t even consider them restoration worthy.

I agree with David a bit too. I remember the first time I drove my 71, not exactly a performance car, especially by today’s standards.

You never know...

I think the market will stay strong for close to original factory performance car’s that are #’s matching. The younger generation will be drawn to these car’s as they are updated with the newer engines, suspensions, etc. Collector's will look for the all original, #'s matching car's as well.

The value in these car’s will be with the R, C & J Code models.

I do agree with David; that buying a ‘71-3 that needs a full restoration may not be a good return on overall investment if you are looking to make $$$. If this is the case, buy one already restored... My 2 cents...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to the GoodGuys car show in Charlotte this coming weekend. I will be surprised if I see even one of our cars. They seem to be rare finds in car shows at least around here. I didn't buy mine for an investment and am sure I will spend way more money in getting it back on the road than I would ever get back out of it. My first car in 1986 was a 72 Mach 1 so that's why I bought this one,

Find a good base, do a "Wheeler Dealer restoration", drive it a bit and you could make a profit.

If you love these cars and restore them, there is no profit to be made. Especially if you let shops do the work for you.

But its not that bad. A well maintained, with bits of pedigree solid 7173 will always bring up a descent price may you be forced to sale.

Not many cars more than 10 years old can claim that. Question is for how long.

Over here, they are pushing hard electrification and fuel is expensive, so I don't think this niche market will change much. Chances it collapses are bigger.

In some cities, they already started to restrict access to older cars than 90...

I'm an optimist.  These cars are way too cool not to gain in value over time.  However, that being said, The ones that will gain the most are C Code, J Code, M Code, Q Code, and of course R Code.   Our standard 302 2v and 351 2v cars will likely only see very minor to moderate gains and only for pristine cherry examples either restored or original.  Standard driver quality cars should at least hold steady in price and will vary more depending on location and timing. I see this as a good thing for those of us that love this generation of Mustang because that keeps our cost low.  The high end cars drive new parts production, and we all benefit from that.  Over the last 15 years the number of parts being made for our cars has really gotten much better.  Hopefully one day the body parts will be better, because many of them are complete crap at the moment.

One other thing to consider.  If you bought a brand new car, doesn't matter what brand or model, and you bought a 71 Q Code Mach 1.  Drive them both an equal number of miles for 5 years, doing regular maintenance and repairs on both.  Then sell them both after 5 years.  Your Q Code will sell for the same or more than you paid for it 5 years previously, and your Brand new car would sell for 15-25% of what you paid for it.  Not to mention that your Brand new car wont be anywhere near as cool or fun to drive as your mustang.

I like to consider myself to still be one of the "younger guys"...just turned 40 on Friday.   :whistling: 

Personally I would prefer to have my 72 over a fox body.  I do love the newer 2018/2019 Mustang GT but I already have a 2011 GT with the Coyote engine so I guess that satisfies my desires with respect to faster/newer.  Not only did I want a classic, but I also wanted a car that I could work on and understand.  I work in the IT field but I don't want to mess with the computer and electronics on these newer cars.  Not to mention history...I LOVE the history behind things whether it's buildings, battlefields, airplanes or cars.  I definitely get caught up in the nostalgia of it all.  So much so that I've been buying old 8 track cassettes that I can play once my car is finished on the Ford 8 track player added under the drivers side dash.  So to me all of this speaks volumes and really drives my desire to revive my 72 and keep it running for years to come.  Obviously that will take some time and work and lots of $$$.  I'm not really worried about how much it will be worth but more like how long it will last and that it can be handed down to my son later on in life.  To me that is priceless.

I have some hope that these cars become more desirable but on the other hand i dont care. I always wanted to have a muscle car to tinker with. It was either a Mustang or a Cuda. Most Mopars are too expensive so now i have my Mustang and I love it. A lot of money and time into it and probably will never get a monetary return on investment but my satisfaction is priceless. Not only the satisfaction, but all the new skills and knowledge. Priceless!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'm an optimist.  These cars are way too cool not to gain in value over time.  However, that being said, The ones that will gain the most are C Code, J Code, M Code, Q Code, and of course R Code.   Our standard 302 2v and 351 2v cars will likely only see very minor to moderate gains and only for pristine cherry examples either restored or original.  Standard driver quality cars should at least hold steady in price and will vary more depending on location and timing. I see this as a good thing for those of us that love this generation of Mustang because that keeps our cost low.  The high end cars drive new parts production, and we all benefit from that.  Over the last 15 years the number of parts being made for our cars has really gotten much better.  Hopefully one day the body parts will be better, because many of them are complete crap at the moment.

One other thing to consider.  If you bought a brand new car, doesn't matter what brand or model, and you bought a 71 Q Code Mach 1.  Drive them both an equal number of miles for 5 years, doing regular maintenance and repairs on both.  Then sell them both after 5 years.  Your Q Code will sell for the same or more than you paid for it 5 years previously, and your Brand new car would sell for 15-25% of what you paid for it.  Not to mention that your Brand new car won't be anywhere near as cool or fun to drive as your mustang.
True. Now think if you do this over 30-40 years or more, which some of my friends have gone through that same new car depreciation cycle 7, 8 or more times. If they lost at least $10-15,000 on each cycle that added up to $70-120,000. Put your money into the car that you love and stick with it. Sometimes when you sell you'll make money, sometimes not. (on that end) You will always be making money by not paying the depreciation. A penny saved is a penny earned. Those guys always have newer cars and huge bank payments/interest/depreciation and you'll always have something that is more of a statement about you. You don't buy cool, you build it.

Most newer cars look boring no matter the brand! Our cars are just sexy as hell! 

On another note...I got pulled over driving my Convertible in Germany, I didn't speed or anything and didn't know why I was being pulled over. One of the cops asked me to exit the vehicle and pop the hood so he could take a look at the engine. He then put his sunglasses on so he COULD take a good long look at it and then walked off wishing me a good day LOL!

True. Now think if you do this over 30-40 years or more, which some of my friends have gone through that same new car depreciation cycle 7, 8 or more times. If they lost at least $10-15,000 on each cycle that added up to $70-120,000. Put your money into the car that you love and stick with it. Sometimes when you sell you'll make money, sometimes not. (on that end) You will always be making money by not paying the depreciation. A penny saved is a penny earned. Those guys always have newer cars and huge bank payments/interest/depreciation and you'll always have something that is more of a statement about you. You don't buy cool, you build it.
Personally, I own all 3 of the vehicles I have.  I used to buy new cars every 4 or 5 years.  Lost on them every single time.  Now I buy a new old car every 3 to 5 years, inexpensive upfront cost cars that is.  I would rather have 5 cool inexpensive muscle cars, than 1 Hemi Cuda, though the Hemi Cuda would be lots of fun.  Its still cheaper to buy a 318 Cuda and drop a new Hemi into it and drive the hell out of it.  Same goes for any classic muscle car really.  Big bang for the buck, without the Mega Bucks.

Hopefully It wont be but another year or two before I get another fun car.

Like others have mentioned, I think the hot cars for value are the '71 R, C, and J code cars, numbers-matching, with 4 speed models bringing the higher values (of course Boss 351 will always be a 4 speed). M and Q code cars get honorable mention. The majority of these Mustangs which were sold were high-image cars with 302 or 351-2V engines and automatic trans. People bought what they could insure and afford to fill up with gas. And hey, even H and F code cars can be cool as hell. I just like this body style more than the classic body style (older) Mustangs. I have a '71 429 CJ-R 4 speed car, numbers-matching, in excellent driver condition that I bought at a very good price and I'm not afraid to put it on the macadam. I didn't purchase it as a investment, but I think it will continue to increase in value. And if I wanted to sink another $35K or so into it to turn it into a show car, I still think I'd get my money out of it. I want to drive it however and not cringe each time I hear that "ping" of a little stone bouncing off the rocker panel! I have come to appreciate the newer Mustangs, but I am 55 and they will always be like a revival of the model to me. Yes I know my 429 would not keep up with the latest models without some additional tweaking beyond what has already been done, and then only in a straight line.

I think of it this way- if you saw The Who with all of its original band members, that was like the original run of the Mustang from '65 to '73. After that period, the band was a revival. First with different drummers to replace Moon and then with a different bassist to replace Entwistle (that guy was awesome live). Those are the different stages of the newer Mustangs. You can add technically better/younger musicians (more horsepower, better suspension) but it still isn't the original band. As a guitarist from the 70's, this explanation works for me. lol

Having just got my 71 429 CJ Ram Air I'm hoping that, at least, it's value won't go down! Originally I was looking for a 351C and there were a few in the UK, some original and partially restored and others upgraded but non standard. I thought about it but, whilst the modified cars might run a bit better, I couldn't see that they would either hold their value or be worth the monies that had gone into them. When I came across the 429 (price was not that much more than the 351's too) I reasoned that in pretty much original condition, with repaint, new carpets and minor restoration, coupled with it's relative rarity and the fact that it's the last of the big block full power mustangs, that I had a better chance of breaking even if nothing else. Guess time will tell?

As for the shape this version of the mustang is, I reckon, unique in its looks. Long, sleek and low. I can't think of a comparable car with a similar silhouette. Muscular but graceful at the same time.

I know that, for the money especially, even modern turbo hatchbacks will run rings around the big mustangs. However, to me, they don't have the style or the presence of the classic muscle cars. They are more driveable, of course, with all the tech keeping them on the tarmac and not in the hedges. Maybe more reliable too but are generally ten a penny, have no exclusivity and bomb in value almost universally from initial purchase. 

I'm sure my view is coloured by my age (now 58) and I feel more analogue in an increasingly digital world. Just firing up the mustang seems like an occasion and backing her out onto lane to head out puts an inevitable smile on my face  :)

YES THEY WILL These Mustangs are the Sexiest Mustangs ever built.. Just look at the Older Challengers in 2009 and older in passed years they have come up in price they will be up their with the Cuda's and Cobra's :atomic: :atomic:

I think they will go up in value as long as the reproduction parts market stays strong. If people can buy parts, they will build the cars and keep the values in an upward momentum.  I also don't think that there are as many of our cars out there in the wild...they were only made for 3 years and I'm sure many have been sent to scrap or rusted away in a junk yard by now.  Maybe value will rise due to availability of solid restoration candidates as well??  It's anyone's guess...LOL!

People ask me about my car all the time. Some get it right.

People leave notes on my car asking to buy. People approach

me on the street and present business cards asking me to call

when I sell. And my car is not pretty, it is a rare Mustang, to them.

Needs serious body work and a paint job, they don't care.

Since I first bought my Mustang, maybe 10 years ago, the availability

of parts has gone way up. According to Marti, they only made 100

of my car. An M-code Grande w/toploader. Wonder how many are

still around. If mine is the only one still running, what is that worth?

On a different note, how will the 2018's run in 50 years? What if there

was a major disruption, EMP, my car can still run using points. Could

become very valuable.

mike

Back