YA FREAKING HOO!!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
Fixed the timing problem and subsequent wiring problem, and then this is what happened:

dancebanana::chili:::banana::udaman:::yourock::::tease::::chili:::banana:dancebanana

Not a knock or a ping or a rattle or a taptaptap. It sounds like a beast!! I ran her for 15 minutes at 1500 - 2000 RPM, shut her down, and then shot this short video.

Next, should I drain and change the oil and filter, or take her around the block for a spin? And then what? I never opened the throttle more than 1/4 of the way and it sounds like a dragster. A year and a half since she was last started. Boy am I HAPPY!!! It runs GREAT!!!

Doc, dancing on the ceiling

Fixed the timing problem and subsequent wiring problem, and then this is what happened:

Doc let me be the first to congratulate you I thought you were building one of those vacuum cleaner type drivers. It sounds fantastic, after you check all your fluid levels bolts, belts etc. take it for a spin. The breakin procedure should be lots of different rpm ranges dont drive it 350 miles at 2000 rpm. I usually will give up to 3/4 throttle the first 100 miles after that give it some more, at 200 give her hell! Change the break in oil at 50-100 miles it will be ready then. Great job!!!;)

Crap...427heaven beat me to it....but he does have a 427...

Outstanding....I am so envious.

The only thing is, I would have waited until up 3am to open her to make sure the neighbors knew I just finished my new motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats!!!! That's always a great moment, when the motor fires up for the first time!

Lemme party with you: :banana:::chili::::chili::::chili:::banana::banana:

YES!!! Congratulations!! Told ya you could do it!

A little sad though... now I can't pick on ya about maybe having mine running first. ;) :D :D :D

This is Great News Brutha! Enjoy breakin' 'er in - with all that new power and coolness, it'll be like having a whole new car.

OUTSTANDING, Doc!

I am so very happy for you and impressed with all the work you have done and totally impressed with the perseverance you have exhibited throughout the journey.

You have done GOOD, my Friend!!

BT

Thanks to all of you my friends. You know that I could never have done it without the support and assistance I've received here. In fact, I never would have even considered tackling anything like that.

If you're not busy this weekend, stop by and we'll put some break-in miles on her. :)

Doc

that sounds so good it needs to be in a new big budget movie or something.....congrats

::congrats:: Doc! There's a cold beverage waiting for you in the lounge...
I'm on my way.... ! ::beer::

Started it up after work and it wouldn't run for crap. Hobbled down to builder (they build many of the engines that run in our little 1/8 strip, so they've got quite a bit of experience with these kind of engines. They LOVE my cleveland 'cause the owner is an old timer who raced clevelands back in the day). He cleaned up the points and tried to time/tune it without much luck. Said the distributor was shot and I mentioned that I was thinking about a Pertronix and he said "Sounds good".

What do you guys think. I know I've read a bunch of posts about preferred ignition systems and read good things about the Pertronix 2 but not so much the three. I'll have to look for those threads.

Anyway, on to something different for the first time in a year and a half besides putting the engine back together. :):)

Doc

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that's what I have been waiting for! Awesome! I know you are stoked! I concur with the break in advice above. Vary the rpms a lot up yo 3/4 throttle then at 200 miles take it down the strip, well maybe not the strip but find a steep hill where the engine will have some load on it and go full throttle a few times. Run it hard. Then continue to vary the rpms some until 500 miles or so. Then drive as you wish.

Change the oil at 100 miles. Then again somewhere between 500 & 1000 miles.

For a disibutor what about a duraspark or a DUI (if they even make DUIs) for our engines?

What do you guys think. I know I've read a bunch of posts about preferred ignition systems and read good things about the Pertronix 2 but not so much the three. I'll have to look for those threads.

Anyway, on to something different for the first time in a year and a half besides putting the engine back together. :):)

Doc
I seem to remember people saying the Pertronix II is better than the III because of tachometer issues - it's a bear to get the factory tachs to work with the P-III wiring. Hope that helps!

Back