Yea, well...they're vehicles too.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 M-code "Soylent Green"
'69 Plymouth Valiant 100
'68 Plymouth Satellite
Some are still with me, some have been sold off (those two all-chrome Schwinn Paramounts paid for the '71 and its parts). Almost all of them are bone-stock original - just polishing, no repaints.

Enjoy the pictures.

The prize of my collection - a 1979 Peugeot PY10 confirmed to be Peugeot's star showbike from the 1980 New York City International Bike Show, a genuine one-of-one made for the trade exhibition:

peugeot_py10_n_37.jpg

1961 Schwinn Paramount P12 - a junker turned survivor, polished (but un-restored) and rebuilt with period parts:

paramount61_041610_1.jpg

1951 Raleigh Sports "C" Tourist:

51_sportsctourist_LARGE.jpg

1978 Raleigh Professional Mk.V w/1976 Campagnolo Super Record (first-generation) components:

raleighpro_28.jpg

1970 and 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9's:

paramount_seeingdouble_2.jpg

My restomod 1982 Schwinn Superior, decked out to look like a 1960's French randonneur. Previous owner repainted in "Winesap" ('85 Porsche color):

superior21057_59.jpg

Another 1982 Superior, this one since sold, but a good example of what the red one above looked like when new. Component-wise, this one is also a restomod:

82_superior_38.jpg

1979 Rudge DL-1 rod-brake roadster:

rudge_79dl1_041708_1.jpg

I had a few too many Paramounts for my own good at one time:

paramount_group_6.jpg

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice old bikes...Like that 79 rudge.

Got my old bikes from when i was a kid still in the garage...One is a red Schwin travaler 2...still has all the little fenders and stuff...Got a very rare Murray street machine...Has drum breaks..Mid sized cruzer...But impossible to find parts for...and i was tuff on it as a kid..lol

Nice bikes, Kurt! ::thumb::

I actually still have my early '80s Sentinel Californian. It's not a particularly expensive bike, but it's fairly rare I've discovered, and was actually made in the USA in Van Nuys, CA. I rode it through high school, putting thousands of miles on it and not treating it very well, since my previous bike was a Roger DeCoster/Mongoose BMX bike. I used to hop curbs and whatnot as needed, so my back rim took a lot of abuse.

A few years ago, I 'restored' it - more like 'restomod.' I used some Specialized equipment ('commuter' seat, water bottle rack, brake pads, speedo/odo computer), Bar Phat foam handlebar tape, Shimano pedals (with clips on one side, no clips on the other), and a new back rim (can't recall the make/model, but I want to get a similar rim for the front as well), and some new tires as well. I love that bike, since it's a big-body frame I always felt comfortable on it. Even after almost 20 years of not riding it, as soon as I hopped back on, it just felt right.

I also have an early-'90s Mongoose Hill Topper MTB that I scored from a local Police bike auction, along with a Trek Antelope (that I sold/flipped to a friend). I like the Mongoose, but it's pretty heavy and I don't ride it much.

I wish I would've kept my early '80s Schwinn LeTour III, but foolishly gave it to a friend when he moved to Germany back in the late '90s. The frame on that bike didn't "fit" me anyway... I always felt too top-heavy on it.

FB's on the 'lock-out' site here at work, so I'll post before and after pics when I get home tonight.

Edit: Here's the 'before' pic, after living in the garage since '93:

22553_108086219202305_5126139_n.jpg

And the 'after' pic once I cleaned it all up and added the new stuff (and why I need to swap out the original front rim):

22553_108086222535638_2666663_n.jpg

And here's the stationary trainer I picked up a few months later:

22553_108086225868971_7467962_n.jpg

I need to start riding it again.

I can't speak to the level of restoration Kurt's doing, but finding correct sized rims for mine (old school "inch" measurements, since the new standard is metric) has been a royal PITA, and they're quite pricey. I could almost buy a decent bike for the cost of a non-metric rim of discontinued size.

The rest of the gear I bought for mine was all less than $300. But again, those are 'accessories'-type things that you would be buying regardless of the bike's age.

Kurt's on a whole different level than just 'reviving' a bike with new equipment (like I did), and doing a damn fine job as well.

Wow, and I thought car parts were hard to get! Is that also a pretty expensive hobby, or not?
If you want the nicest stuff, it can easily make cars look cheap. The gold anodized Simplex bits on that Peugeot can fetch pretty hefty sums on their own on eBay (the gold RD below will run anywhere from $250-$300), and Campagnolo Nuovo/Super Record components always hold good value:

peugeot_py10_n_13.jpg

SR_firstgen_RD.jpg

The Peugeot alone is about a $2k bike complete.

-Kurt

Very, very nice Kurt!

I've got an old bike that looks slightly better than Eric's pre restoration bike pic. I'll have to post a pic of it when I get back home from traveling with work this week & next.

Back