yellow top coil for pertronix

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1, 351c 4v, C6 trans, grabber blue with white interior
I have a pertronix ignition installed with the higher voltage pertronix coil. I believe to be correct by MCA rules, the 71 - 73's are suppose to have the yellow top coil.

Does pertronix or someone else make a high voltage yellow top coil?

Is there already a paint that mustard color yellow?

Does anyone have a successful color mix ( maybe hobby paint red / yellow combo? ) to use for painting the pertronix coil top?

Thanks!

I have a pertronix ignition installed with the higher voltage pertronix coil. I believe to be correct by MCA rules, the 71 - 73's are suppose to have the yellow top coil.

Does pertronix or someone else make a high voltage yellow top coil?

Is there already a paint that mustard color yellow?

Does anyone have a successful color mix ( maybe hobby paint red / yellow combo? ) to use for painting the pertronix coil top?

Thanks!
There are high voltage coils that are about the same size and without the tall coil plug outlet that some have. Mallery makes one. We painted those black with a yellow top and even put the chalk x on them. We just used rustoleum medium yellow from a rattle can.

MCA might catch it but real people will not.

I agree with other threads that the MCA approved fasteners and other specs do match unrestored - unmolested cars I have worked on over the years.

Odd - When a very low mileage car shows up MCA does not change their guidelines even though the 900 mile never driven car does not match what they have been saying for years.

- Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
I noted no performance difference between the Flame Thrower coil and the stock yellow top. So I'd just install it and forget about it.

there re no high perf yellow top coils.

if you paint the top yellow, it must be done with spray paint . . scuff the top up with gray scotch brite first.

you can find some spray paints that are fairly close

Back