Update on paint job

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1, 351 Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Automatic, AM/8 Track, Bright Red.
Pulled the car out of the garage and took this pic. I've given the paint two months to cure, next step is having it color sanded and buffed. Car has two base coats and 3 clear coats. Looks pretty good but has a lot of dirt nips that'll need to be sanded out plus there's some minor orange peel in a couple of places, no runs though. After I get it back from the sanding and buff I'll be putting the strips and stickers back on...not to mention trim, mirrors, hood pins, etc. I've already put some parts back on that shouldn't get in the way of the buffing.

The paint job was done by some Army Vets operating a paint shop, as an Army Vet I went with them for the job. I did most of the prep work, they charged me $2,300.00 that included aligning one of my doors. It didn't include painting any areas other than the exterior since I kept it the same color. It also didn't include the wet sanding and buff I still need, I "had" planned on doing it myself.

Jim

Paint.jpg

Looking good! Do they have a business or is it a side job type thing?
The Vets bought a Maaco franchise, it's all about the people working at the shop that makes the difference, being a Vet I thought I'd give them a try. I did 90% of the prep work and paid extra for their best paint, sealer and extra coats, thus the $2,300.00 cost. I didn't have any dents or rust so it was pretty straight forward. I didn’t want to spend so much money on a paint job that I’d be afraid of rock chips or someone opening a door into it every time I drove it. It appears it’s going to be a very nice driver’s quality paint job at a good price. After it’s wet sanded and buffed it should look really good, of course if the paint doesn’t stand up to the wet sanding and buffing I’ll be eating crow.

Jim

Paint1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great Jim. Think it's really good of you to give the local vets a shot. I'm sure if it doesn't turn out they'll make it right.
Thanks. I started out with the custom shops but when I heard their prices there was no way I was going to pay that much money for a paint job and then drive it on cruises on the back roads of Washington and park it at cruise ins or hotel parking lots. My Mustang is a weekend road warrior. Plus it's just a Mach1, not a Boss which would return more on investment in an expensive custom paint job.

The first custom shop I went to told me he wouldn't know how much it would cost until he "finished" He explained he didn't know what he would find when he removed all the parts and stripped it to bare metal, but promised he could keep it under 15K. He didn't even go outside his shop to inspect the car before giving me his rough estimate. I know where he was coming from but I wasn't putting a 15K paint job on a 15K car. I rolled the dice and went with the Vets at Maaco, they did give me a 5 year warranty so if it lasts that long I'll be happy for the price.

The car looks good. By today's standards I think you got a good deal. I repaired and painted two bumper covers for a 2005 Mustang this week and had $300.00 in materials alone. Auto paint is going up almost as fast as ammunition and taxes. Chuck

The Vets bought a Maaco franchise, it's all about the people working at the shop that makes the difference

Jim
Bingo as I have said there are still people out there who take PRIDE in what they do..You got a great deal...But don't forget you saved a bunch of coin by doing the prep..Looks very nice..better than some 10k jobs I've seen

The car looks good. By today's standards I think you got a good deal. I repaired and painted two bumper covers for a 2005 Mustang this week and had $300.00 in materials alone. Auto paint is going up almost as fast as ammunition and taxes. Chuck
Quality materials are through the roof..3k in material is the norm these days for a over all base coat clear coat complete

Last edited by a moderator:
Back