Update on paint job

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quality materials are through the roof..3k in material is the norm these days for a over all base coat clear coat complete
I had originally intended to stay with a single stage paint but the painter convinced me to go with a base and clear coats, he explained it's more durable and future touch up and repairs are earier than with a single stage paint job. What's your thoughts on that?

Plus my only concern is with the dust nips that still need to be sanded and buffed out. As a layman I can't vision that being done without going through the clear coats. It has two base coats and 3 clear coats so if some of the dust is in the base coat wouldn't you have to sand through the clear coats?

OK another update. Although it was recommended I take it to a professional to have the wet sanding and polishing done, being a hard headed American of German Irish descent I went ahead and did it myself after reading up on the subject, listening to you guys and watching some videos on the subject. I

I hand wet sanded the dust nips and more noticable orange peel with 1500, then went back over the whole car using a Porter Cable DA XP polisher, first with 3M trizact 3000 pad then with trizact 5000 pad (wet sanding). As advised, I took "special caution" on the edges to insure I didn't burn through. After using the 5000 grit pad, I used the Port Cable with Adams swirl and Haze remover followed up with Adams fine machine polish. My last step, which I haven't done yet is to finish it with Adam's machine super sealant. As I understand it, I should first put on all the decals prior to applying the sealant for better adhesion???

Here's two photos of the same section. The first photo is after leveling the paint with the final sanding using the 3M Trizact 5000 pad. The second is after the Adams polishing.

!Final.jpg

After 3M Trizact 5000 pad.

!Fina2.jpg

After polishing with Adams fine machine polish

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great::goodjob:: if your not sure what stripe color to go with, u could always go with yellow;)

Wow, looks really shiny! Looks good. I'm having my Mustang, a 71 hardtop fixed up at the body shop, correcting another shops mistakes! The underneath of the hood had paint flaking off of it, no prep. The drivers door and hood will be aligned better also. Wish me luck, they said it should be done by next Wednesday.

Looks great, glad a fellow MAACO painted one of these bad boys, my dad owns one here in MD and i am the painter here. To answer the question about wet sanding single stage, you can as long as its a solid color and they put at least 2-3 coats of color down, and let it set for a few days before sanding since its very tricky to buff. Looks great tho! love the color

Back