Close call with a couple of deer !!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t.klapperich

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Gold Glow,351 Q code w/ 4 speed toploader, 3.70 gears. Freshly built to Boss 351 Specs and a little extra !!!! It all specs to 415 H.P. Only 62,000 orig. miles. 175 on new motor !!
So my heart is still in my stomach!! I was driving my 73 Mach 1 tonight, heading north on Keystone Rd. It is a winding country road, about 7:45 tonight, that is pretty much just before dusk in Northern Illinois, and out from the bushes on the left come 2 deer on the run across the road. They were so close I didn't see them out the front windshield, I saw them out my drivers side window!!! I hit the hooks, cut it to the right and locked em up!!! I can't believe I missed them, they were so close to the front of my car I couldn't even see their legs !!!! My wife just started breathing normal 10 min. ago!!!! I have to say I really thought we had no chance to miss them, but with my Steve McQueen like reflexes :cool:, I was fortunate enough to avoid the contact !! :D

I bet that was a heart stopping experience. I always drive my 73 with a lot of extra caution around other vehicles, but deer are hard to anticipate.

Glad you did not mess up you're ride!!...My cousins wife hit a deer last year there family car...He pulled a chunk of meat out of the grill bigger than a pot roast when the tow truck got it home....destroyed the front clip, radiator, windshield.

My dad told me he was following his freind up the continental divide pass on a harley at night few years ago...Suddenly he said it was like a airplane crash..He seen a bit of crome and stuff flying...Well a big buck jumped out infront of his freind at 50mph..he hit it dead on...lifted him off the seat and brung him too a dead stop..Knocked the deer off into the brush...Bent his fender and lost some chrome on his bagger...but they just bent it back out and kept going on...lol..You get a lucky one sometimes.

Glad you and the car are ok.

About 15 years ago I almost rolled an Audi Quattro after hitting a deer. I got the car fishtailing after I tried to avoid the animal and lost controll because I overdid it. After I had made a 180 turn, I flew sideways off the road into a field that was lower than the road (taking a fence with me while airborne) and hit the field with the two driver side wheels first. The wheels dug into the soil and the passenger side started to rise.

The slide came to a stop just as the car was going to roll on the side, so it stood on two wheels for a few seconds and then slowly fell back on all four.

Since that day, I dread the next encounter.

Oh, by the way, the Audi only had two dents on the driver side because of the fence posts it hit but no other damage. Even the deer had not left a dent, only a scratch on the hood. No broken glass or headlights and most of all no damage to the suspension.

After the guys at the body shop had removed about ten lbs of soil and grass from the undercarriage, I drove that car (with the dents) for another two years after the incident. Talk about quality!!

I really couldn't care less about the deer! I was thinking about the damage to my ride the entire time I was sliding closer and closer to them!:s Then once they were clear, I was thinking about how far down the ditch I was going to end up!:-/ Luckily all ended well, no damage, no ditch, maybe some new underwear are in order:p

that's good that it was a no harm done encounter ... better then my trip back from Dallas about a year and a half ago I had hit 3 deer in a span of about 90 min. Of coarse my dually has a 300 lbs grill guard but still...

I had hit (more like winged) the first one in the passing lane doing about 70 -75 freaking my passenger out and about 15-20 min later did the same thing in the right hand lane and marshal was a little bit more enthusiastic this time because he saw my reaction or lack there of to the first hit. The best one is always the last it seems like cause about an hour after that one I had a deer smack dab in the middle of my lane with a rig to the right and a ditch to the left so I chose my line and basically broad sided this animal the guard took it like a champ but my suspension didn't like going over the top of it

So glad you escaped a close call ,except for some new bvd's. I know auron is from maine so he's used to dodging=raming deer!:p Funny story,when I was a kid my Dad was riding motorcycles with friends,his throttle cable broke,he was riding home after dark running throtle with a pair of pliers,then a bat got stuck in his handlebars leaving 1 hand on the pliers-throttle ,1 hand trying to swat a bat off the handlebars.

Thats the first Iv'e heard of a bat encounter on a bike:cool:

So glad you escaped a close call ,except for some new bvd's. I know auron is from maine so he's used to dodging=raming deer!:p Funny story,when I was a kid my Dad was riding motorcycles with friends,his throttle cable broke,he was riding home after dark running throtle with a pair of pliers,then a bat got stuck in his handlebars leaving 1 hand on the pliers-throttle ,1 hand trying to swat a bat off the handlebars.
yeah when I drove my truck to northern Maine I almost scored myself a bear coming back from a truck pull I just don't want to land myself a moose cause they have a nasty habit of going above grill guards. 470110_460132667331291_1661864328_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was driving semi (hauling wood chips up north),I met another trucker who said he came across a moose in the middle of the road,after waiting 10 mins or so ,he blew the airhorn & the moose responded by ramming the grille of the Peterbilt with his antlers ,rendering the trucker in the road with a hole in his radiator!!Be careful who you blow the horn at. :p

TOOT TOOT !!!:p

I hit a deer a few years ago on my motorcycle and that was no fun. Luckily my gear protected me and I was able to pick up the bike and ride the 60 miles home.

P7060216.JPG

P7060218.JPG

P7070219.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had alot of close calls with deer, but this was by far the closest!:rolleyes: I still have a hard time understanding why they dont see or hear something as big as a car or truck, when you hear stories from bow hunters that the deer will actually jump out of the way of an arrow in flight !!!:dodgy:

Back