Tire size

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Mustang Mach 1 (1973)-351Ci-4V
Hi,

Is this a good driving combination and nice looking combination on the Mustang Mach1 1973?

I have those rims already, but is this tires combination good and is the speedometer still works correctly?

BF GOODRICH RADIAL T/A

MAGNUM 500 WHEEL 15" X 7" 235/60R15

MAGNUM 500 WHEEL 15" X 8" 255/60R15

Thanks and greetings from Belgium,

eddyw ::help::

They will look and handle great. Get the ones that match your existing tire diameter and your speefo will still work as before

I don't know if the speedo works correctly with this sizes of tires, i have no Mustang before... it's a restoration project.

:rolleyes:

Here is some info from a thread a while back discussing suspension and tire sizes. I have seen and ridden in Chuck's (C9zx) car and it looks excellent.

To cut to the parts I think will help the most for your question, see the following from both Chuck (C9zx) and Scott (Qcode351Mach):

Qcode351Mach

Chuck posted up a link to eaton spring http://www.eatonsprings.com/ where you should get your springs from. Give them a call & speak to them with your plans..If you get the correct front 1" lowering springs you will not sacrifice ride quality in fact you will enhance it... I think to get the stance your after (not having the back squat) your going to have to lower the front

The other thing I would do is consider 16" wheels all around..There's a reason new cars have 16" 17" & 18" wheel & tire combo's It will be one the best upgrades you can do to enhance handling. I've done many upgrade suspension wheel tire swaps.. Here's a great program to compare different wheel tire combos. http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp I've used this extensively on my own cars & it's never let me down. I just punched in your chosen tires on a 15" rim when you look at them rear & front the front looks like a drag race tire..Not really a great look..Also not the best setup for optimum handing.

Check out my susp upgrades to my car here I went with 18" all around.

http://www.saturdaymorninggarage.com/201...tall-3511/

C9zx

... the rear wheel size. They are ... 15x8s with 4 1/2 back spacing. ... I have 15x7 with 4 1/4 back spacing wheel vintiques on the front with 245x60x15 in the front. I feel this is the edge with 245x60x15 tires (Goodrich Radial T/As) and may be over the edge if a tire of the same size with a wider section width is used. They don't rub but, there is not much clearance. The 275s in the back are tall at 28.00 inches so it numerically lowers the effective gear ratio a bit but, it fills up the wheel wells which I like and others do not. Chuck

As Q said, you can't go wrong using parts suggested by eaton spring for a restoration or true street car. If you want to race, that is a different matter. I used a high durometer front spring eye and shackle bushings from eaton with the stock 4 leaf rear springs that are part of the "competition suspension" that came with the Q code Mustangs. I used the original front springs with 1/2 coil removed (using a cut off wheel) to get the stance I wanted. Again it is all personal preference. Chuck

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
My car came with 17x8 rims and 235x45R17. 25.3" diameter and about 9.25" wide. Not enough sidewall for me... they don't look that bad, but I feel every pebble in the road.

I'm going to the opposite end o fthe spectrum... 14x6 rims with 225x70R14 tires. 26.4" diameter and about 8.9" wide.

I'm swapping out rear end gears (going with 3.89) at the same time, and will be using a 23 tooth speedo gear, which should be perfect for the wheel size / gear set combination.

And I'll go from a 4" sidewall to a 6" sidewall.

I'm going to go with the BF Goodrich Radial TA also.

Yes, it is the original color and mostly what you see except the front fenders is original paint. It is a little ratty in spots, but it will be a good driver till I have more $$$ to complete.

Thanks, Jay

Hi,

Is this a good driving combination and nice looking combination on the Mustang Mach1 1973?

I have those rims already, but is this tires combination good and is the speedometer still works correctly?

BF GOODRICH RADIAL T/A

Those sizes will perform well. Get a GPS speedometer ap for a smart phone and determine how much the speedometer is off. Mine is off by exactly 10%. 50 is actually 55... etc.

Hi,

BF GOODRICH RADIAL T/A

Those sizes will perform well. Get a GPS speedometer ap for a smart phone and determine how much the speedometer is off. Mine is off by exactly 10%. 50 is actually 55... etc.
[/b]Very good advice, THANKS

Guys,

Here is my car with the 15 x 7 & 235-60-15 fronts and 15 x 8 & 255-60-15.

I looks great !!!

Thanks, Jay
And after 5.5 years!

Thanks man for posting size with the photos!

I was looking for size+pics for a long time. I will most likely follow your sizes.

Cheers.

Logzz

Got the same sizes on mine.
nice looking!

But don't you feel that chrome wheels would look even better?

Rims are 8 inch all 4?

So tires are not rubbing anywhere and run good?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back