Calling all owners of seat material oddity - no comfort weave or D4 Pinto seat backs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
351 Cleveland
PS, PB, A/C, rear defrost
All with seat material from late 1973 without comfort weave or Pinto seat backs:

I have been trying to follow up with the gods of Mustang history to get a final resolution to our question about Pinto seat backs and plain vinyl panels instead of comfort weave. If you can send me pictures, build dates, and VIN numbers, I will forward those to the benevolent subdiety of code tags, numbers, and all things Mustang. I think that we have a chance to record history properly and let's go for it.

If you do not wish to have your VIN posted, send me a PM with it and I will include it in the hard copy being sent to the one who publishes the numbers.

Thanks and happy holidays,

JB73Mach

Great idea John! Thanks for following up on this. You have my info already (and I do have the D4 Pinto seatbacks on both of my Mach 1's). Here is the latest list of forum members that have the all vinyl interior:

1) jb73mach - black interior, build date 7/5/73

2) HighOctane - ginger interior, build date 7/3/73

3) jbojo - white interior, build date 6/28/73 (original owner)

4) Steve73QMach1 - black interior, build date 7/5/73

5) Steve 73QMach1 - black interior, build date 6/29/73

6) Don61 - black interior, build date 6/11/73

7) MustangMyWay - black interior, build date 6/14/73

8) Carplayer - white interior, build date ~ 6/18/73

Help John out guys and send him your info. I would be great to have this seat material oddity officially recognized as a legitimate configuration for late 1973 vehicles. I have a feeling that the Pinto seatbacks affect a wider date range of vehicles than the all vinyl seats but it would be good to know when that started as well and to get it documented.

And - for all members, current and future - following is a link back to the original discussion about the Pinto seatbacks and Comfortweave substitution, for those interested in the complete details of the discovery. The entire thread should be read:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mach-1-interior-seat-material-oddity

-Kurt

P.S.: JB, you might want to add "1973" as part of the thread title to help us in the Google rankings and bring in more owners (and more data).

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

This was one of the most interesting threads that I have read here and pretty awesome what was discovered. I had a thought that you might want to also ask for the cars with late builds that DONT have the oddity. Who knows but some consistency may become apparent. Anyways, thanks for the info.

Jeff

All with seat material from late 1973 without comfort weave or Pinto seat backs:

I have been trying to follow up with the gods of Mustang history to get a final resolution to our question about Pinto seat backs and plain vinyl panels instead of comfort weave. If you can send me pictures, build dates, and VIN numbers, I will forward those to the benevolent subdiety of code tags, numbers, and all things Mustang. I think that we have a chance to record history properly and let's go for it.

If you do not wish to have your VIN posted, send me a PM with it and I will include it in the hard copy being sent to the one who publishes the numbers.

Thanks and happy holidays,

JB73Mach
I sent my info to you.

-jbojo

I have a feeling that the Pinto seatbacks affect a wider date range of vehicles than the all vinyl seats but it would be good to know when that started as well and to get it documented.
Yup...Pinto seat backs may affect a wider range of the vinyl seats than confortweave...And i have yet to see as many "or any" guys with weave seats step forward with pinto pannels instead of regular 73 mustang seat pannels...So for all we know...A confortweave seat with pinto seat backs mite be just as rare of a combo

1) jb73mach - black interior, build date 7/5/73

2) HighOctane - ginger interior, build date 7/3/73

3) jbojo - white interior, build date 6/28/73 (original owner)

4) Steve73QMach1 - black interior, build date 7/5/73

5) Steve 73QMach1 - black interior, build date 6/29/73

6) Don61 - black interior, build date 6/11/73

7) MustangMyWay - black interior, build date 6/14/73

8) Carplayer - white interior, build date ~ 6/18/73

1) Hyena429-White interior pinto seat pannel's. Real seat material unknown..Build date 6/04/73

Lets see how many combo's pop up and do a little % work ...I been waiting for some late or mid model pinto seats to pop up or may ones even..Some combo's mite be harder to find than other's..Hoping for some May mustangs to chime in.

Here's the info from the 73 convertible I just sold. Build date of 6-19-73 . Vin 3F03F253...... I didn't save any info on the car, so I'm just going on my memory. The trim code was CW.

The drivers bottom cover was replaced back in 84 by a previous owner. He told me he had a hell of a time finding a replacement to match the rest of the incorrect interior.

This is a pic before I replaced it with the fake comfort weave replacements.
735_zps2445e697.jpg

Back