1972 Sprint 200 Sportroof in NC

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That car has had a very rough life. Trunk might be solid after all that 'glasswork - but it is far from nice.

Too many red flags on this one. Buyers be very A-ware!

Ray

Whats a Sprint 200?

Also headlights say 73' and tail lights say 73.

sent from my Samsung SIII via TapaTalk
It is for sure a 72, because there was no Sprint edition in 73. You can see the special paint job in the door jambs and the seats are for sure the weirdo two tone originals. Plus the title is genuine and matches the vin plate which has not been messed with. As for the '73 lights, someone swapped out the front signals and taillight clusters. I have the originals with the collection of parts that come with the car. As for the 'glass in the trunk, if you're putting in new floors and quarters in anyway, I don't see a big deal in putting a new trunk floor in while you're at it. Lots of work? Sure, but what resto isn't?

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats a Sprint 200?

It is for sure a 72, because there was no Sprint edition in 73. You can see the special paint job in the door jambs and the seats are for sure the weirdo two tone originals. Plus the title is genuine and matches the vin plate which has not been messed with. As for the '73 lights, someone swapped out the front signals and taillight clusters. I have the originals with the collection of parts that come with the car. As for the 'glass in the trunk, if you're putting in new floors and quarters in anyway, I don't see a big deal in putting a new trunk floor in while you're at it. Lots of work? Sure, but what resto isn't?
Hey Sprint. Glad to have you aboard. Please post a short intro in the Introductions thread so we can give you a proper welcome. You'll probably get more responses to your request as well.

The real Sprint 200's were 6 cylinder (cheaper) Mustangs, offered for 1966-68? model years to help with sales. Apparently V-8's were in short supply.

http://mustangs.about.com/od/1966mustangmodelprofiles/a/Ford-Mustang-Sprint-200.htm

Ray
Check THIS LINK out

As you can see, there indeed WERE 1972 Sprints and in ALL THREE body styles. The convertibles are the real rarities with only 50 made! Maybe you were just referring to the "200" part of the moniker? This model may have JUST been called a Sprint. Even though mine seems to have some incorrect pieces from a 73, it IS a 72 Sprint and the vin #s have NOT been messed with.

And how do I KNOW mine is a real Sprint? It has the original white paint job with blue stripes and red accents showing through on the edges and where the black paint didn't swallow it all up. Plus it has the special seats that were white with blue inserts and red piping (colors have faded, but you can still see the color if you look at the edges). It has the white headliner, blue dash, blue carpet, blue steering wheel (not installed).

Check out THIS LINK for more pictures

What can I say? Someone made it into a hot rod and obviously enjoyed it as a "rat" for a while. The body is still plenty straight and it is complete enough to restore back to original without having to chase down too much stuff. I posted it on here because you guys are into these 71-73 Stangs and I thought someone might want to give it a shot restoring it back to original. And as much as I like it, the car is just not my style. I traded it for a 67 Comet Caliente that needed some work and now I want to trade it for something pre-65. I've got my eye on a local '50 Shoebox that is more what I'm into. I just need to sell this first! With the mountain of responses and trade offers I've gotten already I know I will get what I am asking for it. Thanks guys!

now that I looked at pictures on the PC vs the phone, I see the light blue on the door sills, and the interior color scheme that matches the Sprint packages.

looks like at some point of its life someone installed 73 front grill assy, and 73 taillights

here is a great site I have used in the past, its the 72 mustang Sprint registry http://www.1972mustangsprint.com/

it has all of the production numbers on there.

there is also a few Sprint owners on this site.

Whats a Sprint 200?

The real Sprint 200's were 6 cylinder (cheaper) Mustangs, offered for 1966-68? model years to help with sales. Apparently V-8's were in short supply.

http://mustangs.about.com/od/1966mustangmodelprofiles/a/Ford-Mustang-Sprint-200.htm

Ray
Ray , it might not be a 200 but at least it is a GT
Ugh... yeah ugh,,, NO.

:)

Just a Sprint - or appears to be part of one. The prev owner maybe had a 73 they used for parts. Like so many I see they start modifying and just quit about mid way in the process. I hate that...

Ray

Hey all, I just found this post after searching for any helpful information on the 72 Sprints that I haven't found yet. I actually bought this Sprint from the guy in Asheville. Whoever had it before him, it looks like they were about to make it into a drag car. The grille and tail lights are 73, but he had the originals in the trunk, not sure why there were switched to begin with. I posted a couple pictures on the welcome forums of the car, inside and out. It's going to need a lot of work, but I've been all over the internet looking for help and found a few salvage yards within driving distance to help and using these forums, I've been able to find a few places I'll be able to order stuff I can't find out searching.

It will require a dedicated process to return this Sprint to its former glory. But it can be done. I have always liked the Sprints and appreciate another Mustang being saved.

We have many Sprint owners (and past Sprint owners) with much knowledge of these cars. They should be able to provide a lot of guidance along your quest.

Good luck!

Ray

Hey all, I just found this post after searching for any helpful information on the 72 Sprints that I haven't found yet. I actually bought this Sprint from the guy in Asheville. Whoever had it before him, it looks like they were about to make it into a drag car. The grille and tail lights are 73, but he had the originals in the trunk, not sure why there were switched to begin with. I posted a couple pictures on the welcome forums of the car, inside and out. It's going to need a lot of work, but I've been all over the internet looking for help and found a few salvage yards within driving distance to help and using these forums, I've been able to find a few places I'll be able to order stuff I can't find out searching.
Congrats and I have new and used parts

Don

Congrats and I have new and used parts

Don
Thanks Don, I was on your website last night making a list. I look forward to buying from you.

Brandon

Back