WIDE-BODY KIT FROM SCRATCH

Welcome from Oklahoma!

I am definitely more of a purist but I am really impressed with your work.

Can't say I like all of it but it looks to becoming a great looking modded Mustang. Keep up the good work and also keep the pictures coming!

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

Welcome, I had 2 65's before now and I agree that the lines are certainly unique and speak to you in a different way than the original coupe. I quite enjoy looking at it and oddly enough my Green 72 gets more attention than my Burnt orange metallic coupe did and that car was beautiful.

That is a sweet ride.

image.jpg.47583ba6c2f9affc1ea75b6d860fe15f.jpgAnyone know if there is a chance these gorgeous creation could find there way onto my car? I've been told by just about everyone around me that the car would look cool if I did 67 Shalby tail lights or some other tail light because the common feeling out there is that the 71 tail lights are not attractive. There is no way I'm changing those lights has been my response to that. However, for a set of these bad boys, I don't see myself finishing the build without them. They would completely legitimize the direction of the build.

Those are Obsidian71's tail lights. See here: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-obsidian71-2013-tail-light-install?page=5

They'll be produced sometime. He's got worse things to deal with now.

Incidentally, you're doing a beautiful job there forming that widebody - though I must say, the previous look of the car was unbelievably nice too. Love the Nascar stocker appearance:

attachment.php?thumbnail=25124

How were the headlight openings cut into the mesh grill? Also curious how it was mounted. Possibly the best custom grill I've ever seen on a '71-73 - and the simplest.

-Kurt

satellite-valiant-mustang-license-tags-signature.png

How to buy a '71-73 Mustang:

Rule #1: Assume all classic car sellers are guilty until proven innocent.

Rule #2: No classic car dealer is ever innocent; thus, they are all guilty.

Rule #3: Buy from trustworthy people: Fellow forum members. Visit 7173Mustang's For Sale forum.

IMG_0739.JPG.dbe0df3e58cecc3455ce290c83bbbbe3.JPGHi Kurt. This is exactly how i purchased the car. Stock trim and ride height. Very nice but not really my taste so since i had a month to go before the season was here i chose to make a few tweaks. Lowered it front and rear 3". Put a posi 9" out of a 70 stang (with rear disc brakes) to tuck in the rear tire. Then i went with a 27" tall front tire and a 29" tall rear tire. Painted the rims and detailed the engine bay.. As for the grill, i enjoy going to this local metal supermarket and picking out cool stuff. Made the same grill a few years back on my 68.

Those are Obsidian71's tail lights. See here: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-obsidian71-2013-tail-light-install?page=5

They'll be produced sometime. He's got worse things to deal with now.

Incidentally, you're doing a beautiful job there forming that widebody - though I must say, the previous look of the car was unbelievably nice too. Love the Nascar stocker appearance:

attachment.php?thumbnail=25124

How were the headlight openings cut into the mesh grill? Also curious how it was mounted. Possibly the best custom grill I've ever seen on a '71-73 - and the simplest.

-Kurt

Front grill on the 68 was sanded and clear coated.The 71 was blacked out.

IMG_5353.jpeg.ffeae0b3310257eff9515868b4222b60.jpeg

IMG_0460.JPG.84c09b5198f02778c92d5513ca2d03c7.JPG

I basically make all of the angles, shapes and contours of the grill that i want with cardboard, masking tape and an exacto knife. once it fits and has places that can be used as mounting points i carefully flatten the cardboard template like a pattern and trace it onto the steel grill and cut it out. Then i put it in a sheet metal break and fold in all the angles.

1402849202_REARRIMS.thumb.png.1128c70f8d7ea8e66d7296785a1fc094.png

At this point i still hadn't installed the 29" tall tire. It was still 25.5" or so and that large quarter needs more. Again everyone thought i was nuts until they saw how natural that tall tire looked in there.

You got Skills, nice work and vision ::thumb::

PS

You can never have to much tire

M4.jpg

You got Skills, nice work and vision ::thumb::

PS

You can never have to much tire

M4.jpg

Car looks sinister! Satin finish on the paint looks very even. I like it and i considered it-not easy to do it well.

378812324_Image4.thumb.jpg.7a47666ca7c0b68e1881673dc1032774.jpgA better picture of how the grill is mounted with just a few screws to the rad cover. I used the same grill for the brake cooling ducts in the chin spoiler i made. All the pieces are made out of an aluminum that i was able to put into a break and bund without it splitting on me, including the functional ram air tray i made. Since i dont know how to weld aluminum and i like more race appearance i used rivets to put it all together. 71 grill was just a rectangular cage and not as involved.

Hi Kurt. This is exactly how i purchased the car. Stock trim and ride hight. Very nice but not really my taste so since i had a month to go before the season was here i chose to make a few tweaks. Lowered it front and rear 3". Put a posi 9" out of a 70 stang (with rear disc brakes) to tuck in the rear tire. Then i went with a 27" tall front tire and a 29" tall rear tire. Painted the rims and detailed the engine bay.

Now you have me even more interested about the stance than the grill (though your explanation was perfect, thank you). It so happens that we seem to share exactly the same tastes in stance and how much wheel should fit in a wheelwell - not to mention how far inboard, rather than outboard. Not many of us out there who prefer that look.

That said, did you take the 3" off the front with drop spindles or shorter springs? I see some negative camber, so I assume it came from the springs, correct? How about the rear? The stock shackles are quite close to the frame to start with, and I can't fathom how you did so, unless you used soft leafs with coil-over shocks (not that I'd recommend it on the fragile shock boxes).

You have me equally curious on the rear end. The disc 9" couldn't have been original to the '70; any idea where it came from? It's an art to stuff as much wheel as you can into a wheelwell and NOT tub the car - not to mention work it into the wheelwell so the outboard positioning looks bone stock. That's genius.

-Kurt

satellite-valiant-mustang-license-tags-signature.png

How to buy a '71-73 Mustang:

Rule #1: Assume all classic car sellers are guilty until proven innocent.

Rule #2: No classic car dealer is ever innocent; thus, they are all guilty.

Rule #3: Buy from trustworthy people: Fellow forum members. Visit 7173Mustang's For Sale forum.

IMG_5031.thumb.jpeg.8d1002809ec0d53d69db057060525158.jpegThanks for the props. You can almost see the 3" lowering block in the photo. The tire was only a 275 but i can't remember the aspect ratio. They are the same tires in the current build photos. Even they look tiny with the new body mods lol. The front was just a quick and easy coil cut. Worked fine for one summer. Need to hash that out in the new build. Rear brakes are SSB. Bought them slightly used locally. Car drove really nice.

With all that beautiful carbon fiber bodywork and the fine body mods on the mach 1 I find it hard to believe you do not learn to weld aluminum. I really like the clean front of the underhood on the 68. It just keeps getting better.

Bright lime 72 Mach 1 with 351C 4V, with summit 600 carb(have a Holley too), Edelbrock dual-plane manifold, Hooker headers, 3 inch exhaust with flowmasters, 17 inch Eleanor wheels, FMX tranny, A/C, P/S, front disks and 350 rear gear. Drive it to work every day.

image.thumb.jpg.7b8f2df843c75ab97d3a855349e1a78b.jpgI picked up this trick looking export brace this winter. Wondering if anyone else has seen or used it. I don't have any feedback for anyone since it won't be going in for a while but I thought it was a nice piece with the quick pull pins that give you instant access to the sides of the engine. Don't have the company name handy but I googled custom export brace for 71 and found it in images if anyone is curious.

MPG Heads sells that one I believe

The mount to the firewall flexes too much, the cross brace wont clear aftermarket large distributors or AC and the tabs the push pins go through bend easily.

They sell for about 315 bucks.

Given your skill set you could do much better

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

As one with a preference for the more "period correct" mods, I gotta say I like what you're doing! This is going VERY well, and you've got some mad skillz! ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

Can I ask which rear disc brake system did you go with and got stuffed into 15" wheels?

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

As one with a preference for the more "period correct" mods, I gotta say I like what you're doing! This is going VERY well, and you've got some mad skillz! ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

Can I ask which rear disc brake system did you go with and got stuffed into 15" wheels?

The rear brakes are SSB. (Stainless steel brakes). I think they are out of Cali.

MPG Heads sells that one I believe

The mount to the firewall flexes too much, the cross brace wont clear aftermarket large distributors or AC and the tabs the push pins go through bend easily.

They sell for about 315 bucks.

Given your skill set you could do much better

Thanks for the heads up. And the vote of confidence. Lol. Wouldn't be the first expensive mistake I made. Would like to call it my last but my crystal ball is in the shop. Seems my skills need more skill. Maybe if I run some wire through it it will become a neat light fixture??

image.thumb.jpg.bf0f4bcb9ceae1a966cbee71e4e5acc1.jpgJust came from the CFD auto. My buddy Danny has just about got the rear valance worked out. Car almost tells you how it wants to look. Taking on a life of its own.

image.thumb.jpg.be7041eca5bd0080934ed89352c9968f.jpgI think this shot gives a better idea of just how much I lengthened the rear of the car. Light pan is in the stock position. I added 2" to the trunk and end caps to give the car the balance i felt it could use concidering the length of the front fenders and to get a bit of a Selene feel to the light pan

And I almost forgot ::welcome:: from San Diego, CA! I like your take on the grille as well. I am trying to come up with a new custom look for my coupes grille as the stock one is shot. Got a few ideas, just need the metal and tools to do it. Oh yeah... time and money would help too. LOL!

1_12_09_14_10_32_45.png

- Nik

Hello fellow mustang lovers. Name is Angelo and last year February I purchased my 71 fastback. My schooling and current profession has to do with art and design and my hobby and passion is putting attitude into my cars using my love for shapes and design. The 71-73 mustang in my opinion has lines that say more than many other cars out there, old and new alike. I like a little bit of a challenge and my first restomod was my 68 coupe. I've had the car for 8yrs now and enjoy it very much but this 71 is my real challenge.

Nice lookin banner-must also be your stang. Very nice finish.

1_12_09_14_11_07_03.png

I picked up this trick looking export brace this winter. Wondering if anyone else has seen or used it. I don't have any feedback for anyone since it won't be going in for a while but I thought it was a nice piece with the quick pull pins that give you instant access to the sides of the engine. Don't have the company name handy but I googled custom export brace for 71 and found it in images if anyone is curious.

It almost looks bent in that picture. The drivers side firewall mount that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up this trick looking export brace this winter. Wondering if anyone else has seen or used it. I don't have any feedback for anyone since it won't be going in for a while but I thought it was a nice piece with the quick pull pins that give you instant access to the sides of the engine. Don't have the company name handy but I googled custom export brace for 71 and found it in images if anyone is curious.

That is actually supposed to be there but I wonder if it will stay that shape. I will give the setup a chance since I bought it already and I'm not running air conditioning. Who knows, it may have been brought to their attention and was beefed up a little.

That is actually supposed to be there but I wonder if it will stay that shape. I will give the setup a chance since I bought it already and I'm not running air conditioning. Who knows, it may have been brought to their attention and was beefed up a little.

I took a look at my car when I got home and realized the firewall angles up a little bit there.

Let us know how it turns out.

First look at this thread. I have to say as others have already it looks like you have great talent in both concept and design as well as fabrication. This will be a gret project to follow. Please keep us posted. One question though... will the trunk ever open again????

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

First look at this thread. I have to say as others have already it looks like you have great talent in both concept and design as well as fabrication. This will be a gret project to follow. Please keep us posted. One question though... will the trunk ever open again????

Good eye.

Yes. The rear of the car will have 6 seperate moulds. The very skilled man who is making all the moulds for me only needed to know where I want the body lines. They didn't need to be cut into the work. The only mould that would be two pieces into one would be the bumper and lower valance. The rest would be as if they were stock.

Good eye.

Yes. The rear of the car will have 6 seperate moulds. The very skilled man who is making all the moulds for me only needed to know where I want the body lines. They didn't need to be cut into the work. The only mould that would be two pieces into one would be the bumper and lower valance. The rest would be as if they were stock.

Would you or the very skilled man be interested in making a little business? Manufacture those "holy-camoly" widebody kits? I would be seriously intrested in, who needs pro street when you can have wide body. Just a though.

Incredible looking body though, keep up the good work.

Good eye.

Would you or the very skilled man be interested in making a little business? Manufacture those "holy-camoly" widebody kits? I would be seriously intrested in, who needs pro street when you can have wide body. Just a though.

Incredible looking body though, keep up the good work.

Yes. If there is going to be any interest in it the whole kit will be available sometime next year when I get it all done.

Welcome from West Virginia! Nice work, but I am more a purist and that car looked great to start with. I have a wrecked 73 that might end up a restomod now that they released front frame rail assemblies. I love Obsidian71's taillights and it would fit your car perfect. I guess I am in the minority though as far as thinking that the 71-73 rearend is one of the best looking ones Ford has done. Seems all others are just an afterthought.