New daily driver

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse)
67 GT S-Code 4sp
It was time to find a new dilay driver LAST YEAR, but I held on to get the 72 restoration paid for and keep looking and comparing. I bit the bullet this past Saturday and bought a new truck I located on a dealer over the interweb. I made an insanely good buy on a 2014. My Father retired from Chrysler so I get his employee discount which is usually about 5% below dealer cost. I chose not to get a control number for the employee discount to see if I could get a better deal haggling on a new 2014 still on the lot. Well, I did. This is WAY more truck than I ever thought I would own. So many bells and whistles it is going to take me months to learn how to make everything work. I bought the truck in Houston, TX and the dealer said the deal had to be done by 3/31/15 to get the price. Monday night I flew MEM-ATL & ATL-HOU (Hobby) to get the truck. Long 10 hour drive home yesterday but it was REALLY comfortable.

I now have 2 mustangs and 1 longhorn. If I find a goat (GTO) I could possibly apply for farm aid. rofl

ram.jpg

It was time to find a new dilay driver LAST YEAR, but I held on to get the 72 restoration paid for and keep looking and comparing. I bit the bullet this past Saturday and bought a new truck I located on a dealer over the interweb. I made an insanely good buy on a 2014. My Father retired from Chrysler so I get his employee discount which is usually about 5% below dealer cost. I chose not to get a control number for the employee discount to see if I could get a better deal haggling on a new 2014 still on the lot. Well, I did. This is WAY more truck than I ever thought I would own. So many bells and whistles it is going to take me months to learn how to make everything work. I bought the truck in Houston, TX and the dealer said the deal had to be done by 3/31/15 to get the price. Monday night I flew MEM-ATL & ATL-HOU (Hobby) to get the truck. Long 10 hour drive home yesterday but it was REALLY comfortable.

I now have 2 mustangs and 1 longhorn. If I find a goat (GTO) I could possibly apply for farm aid. rofl

Brian,

How did we let that truck out of Houston, TX? That is a very nice truck. My daily driver is a 2005 Dodge Ram Larimie 2500 diesel. Bought it new in 05 but drove it very little since I had a city vehicle. When I started driving it in January after retiring it had only 38K miles on it. I saw no reason to buy a new one until I wear this one out.

What dealer did you get that vehicle? It must have had everything you wanted to fly to Houston to pick it up. My truck makes me look skinny too but I am a rail already. I run a lot!

Mike,

If I had some more time I should have looked you up. Sorry. Found it at Ron Carter in Alvin, TX. They have 2 more just like it so in my mind it is a 1 of 3. Tried Clear Lake who had a similiar one, but they have all of theses "Extra Fees" to add on.

I would have preferred a 2500, but just couldn't convince myself of that for a daily driver and trying to balance gas mileage with towing capacity. Gas mileage won out, but 10K towing should work for me.

It has ALOT of stuff, but most importantly Color, 3.92 axle ratio, trailer brake controller, and posi rear axle.

Had 20.4 miles per gallon on the 600 mile drive home. For new out of the box I think that should improve a little more, but not bad for that axle ratio. It also has a 32 gallon fuel tank so that will hurt at the pump but help on the road.

Just did the same for my new daily driver (replaced a spent Mercury Marquis). 2015s were on the lot for a couple of months already so the 2014s were going at great deals. Got this one for less new than a comparable 2014 used!

2nm1yfr.jpg

Nice truck, BK! ::thumb::

Been loving mine since December. 2012 1500 Lone Star. Couldn't pass it up - 23K miles, loaded, and the color is perfect.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I can attest that they have alot of inventory of 2014's spread around the state. I think that is also helping push the deals. Mister4x4 like that deep cherry color. If I was better at keeping it clean I would have gone that route. My wife had an 04' Pacifica in the Molten Red Metallic that is like that. She decided to swipe one of those yellow bank poles all the way down the passanger side of the car. Bodyshop had to repaint the entire car to get the color to match. Not fun!

My '97 was Garnet Red Metallic (essentially the same color), and after a hail storm, the paint shop simply mixed up whatever color was still showing in the bed (sunburned and starting to turn pinkish-magenta... but it's the bed, who cares). Well, they painted the whole truck that color... and did a really nice job, too. But SO not the right color - I'm red/green color blind and could see the difference. The owner wanted to argue with me, saying he got the paint code off the door sticker... I opened the door (which showed the original color since they hadn't "jammed it.") and just said, "Really?." He hung his head and said he'd paint it again.

It really doesn't matter what color we get here in West Texas. It's going to be dusty within a few hours of washing, and will start changing colors to whatever color the air is that day within a few days.

I've never really been a fan of the browns that wind up on cars, but I think Ram picked an awesome color for your truck - it's looks GREAT! ::thumb::

My only complaints so far are the electronic throttle control (feels like a 'dead spot' when rolling on the throttle - unlike a proper cable control) and that all the storage bins/cubbies seem to have a plastic-ish rattle no matter what I put in them. Other than that (and the factory stereo seems kind of flat to me), it's awesome!

Is yours 4WD or 2WD? I didn't "need" 4WD, so I 'downgraded' to 2WD this time. I'm subconsciously regretting it because I know there will be that one time I need it and ain't got it, but so far so good.

Gotta love those family plans. My ex wifes father worked for GM and we would get great deals all the time. That was the only reason I stayed with her as long as i did.

Gotta love those family plans. My ex wifes father worked for GM and we would get great deals all the time. That was the only reason I stayed with her as long as i did.
yeah sometimes those wives that bring along a benefit of cash or even a dad that can get you a good deal are sometimes not worth it. A friend of mine married into big bucks. Her grandmother lived next door to Reynolda

ReynoldaHouse400x400.jpg

so you can imagine she didnt live in a shabby house either. They were from McCormick Foods. Anyway she was mean as hell and I mean MEAN!

Went with 2wd Mister4x4. Couldn't justify the lower gas mileage, higher price, and higher maintenance for a 4x4 livin where I could not justify it. I also did not want to loose a couple hundred pounds of towing capacity for the extra weight of the 4x4 components.

Back