'71 Power Window Conversion - Wiring Harness Holes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 convertible
I am converting my '71 Convertible to power windows and I am looking for some help. I have a complete kit - wiring, switches, motors, regulators, and glass, and everything looks like it will install and work fine. Where I need help is with the location and shape of the holes that need to be added to the door frame and door jamb for the wiring harness. Does anyone have any photos of a car with power windows that can show the location and shape of the holes?

Also does anyone know if the flexible rubber tubing that fits between the door and door jamb is being reproduced anywhere?

Thanks!

MikeGriese,

If look close enough to the front on the door, towards the fenders and the post, you will see a dimple in the metal. This is where the assemble line drilled and punched the hole for the power windows and speaker harness. There is also a hole that will be needed in the firewall for the harness to run towards the battery area. Maybe one of the forum members can provide pictures.

You can find yourself an electronic caliper and measure the diameter rubber seals to get an approximation of the diameter needed.

The rubber tubes, far as I know, are not reproduced. Please take a look at West Coast Cougar. The 1971 -1972, maybe 1973 Cougars, used the same parts as the mustangs. They also have reproduction window switches at a reasonable price.

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
I am converting my '71 Convertible to power windows and I am looking for some help. I have a complete kit - wiring, switches, motors, regulators, and glass, and everything looks like it will install and work fine. Where I need help is with the location and shape of the holes that need to be added to the door frame and door jamb for the wiring harness. Does anyone have any photos of a car with power windows that can show the location and shape of the holes?

Also does anyone know if the flexible rubber tubing that fits between the door and door jamb is being reproduced anywhere?

Thanks!
I found and used these on my Mach1, they are brand new, do the job perfectly and are a great match for the originals, 30mm holes required

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RANGE-ROVER-DISCOVERY-DOOR-RUBBER-CONDUIT-LOOM-WIRE-/301732937205

29qiecl.jpg

Original Rubber Conduit/Bellows Tube

107kfow.jpg

Land Rover Part

2whe1lg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some of the original boots both used and NOS.

There were two different wire harnesses going to P.W. one with door speakers and one without, AM/FM and AM/8track had door speakers. I have pictures of a system I took out of a convertible but not on this computer. I will see if I can get them over tomorrow. I took pics of everything before I removed.

PM me if interested in the boots I can send pictures.

You probably do not have the clips to install the chrome bezels on the passenger and rear controls to the door panels. I am in the process of doing them repo. It takes 6 to do the single controls and two different ones for the drivers control. They currently sell for $35.00 each from West Coast Cougar if he has them. I will be way less.

David

There were two different wire harnesses going to P.W. one with door speakers and one without, AM/FM and AM/8track had door speakers. I have pictures of a system I took out of a convertible but not on this computer. I will see if I can get them over tomorrow. I took pics of everything before I removed.

You probably do not have the clips to install the chrome bezels on the passenger and rear controls to the door panels. I am in the process of doing them repo. It takes 6 to do the single controls and two different ones for the drivers control. They currently sell for $35.00 each from West Coast Cougar if he has them. I will be way less.

David
I am very interested in the boots. I think at this point I would go ahead with a door speaker set. In for a penny...

I haven't looked at every part in the PW set I have, but it is supposed to be complete - as in everything. But new clips are probably a good idea anyway. I won't be installing these for at least a few months, maybe longer, so whenever your clips are ready I will take a set.

David
I am very interested in the boots. I think at this point I would go ahead with a door speaker set. In for a penny...

I haven't looked at every part in the PW set I have, but it is supposed to be complete - as in everything. But new clips are probably a good idea anyway. I won't be installing these for at least a few months, maybe longer, so whenever your clips are ready I will take a set.
If you got a complete set you are the first, lol. If you have not opened up the rear motors and cleaned and lubed them you will need to do that also. They get moisture in them and get rust and the grease turns into chunks. You will need to watch the videos that West Coast Cougar has on the rebuild of them or you might damage them. The fronts also have a gear box with grease that will need attention and of course clean all the old grease off the tracks and guides and replace with Lucas Oil Products, Inc. RED "N" TACKY #2 grease. It seems to work great for windows, wiper motor, etc.

You might have not understood there is only one set of boots but there are two different wire harness for the windows. One harness has just the windows and the other has the windows and the door speakers. They are in the same harness together. You can just use the normal two wire harness for the door speakers if the window harness does not have them.

I am going to do a rebuild on the set I have this winter but still looking for the two rear switch bases. Someone cut them off and had the system wired so that the only control for rear was with the drivers control. If you know of a wire harness for the rear windows I could use one.

I will have to look at the boots I have 5 cars with door speakers and 2 with power windows. As sure as I sell the spares something will go wrong with one of them.

Will see if I can get you some pictures today of the wiring routing and where the harness mounts on the hinge end of the door.

I also assume you got the front windows with your power window purchase. They have the scallop cut in them to clear the drive and regular windows will not roll all the way down they hit.

The change is not difficult but takes some time to get every thing in right place and adjusted.

David

Great! I have the correct windows - looks like these guys took everything out of the car and put it in a box for me. Thanks for the tips on the motors. I had planned on cleaning everything up before installing, including relubing, so having a video to watch is very helpful. Let me know when you get to your rebuild and we can do them at the same time.

You are correct - I interpreted your comments that there was a different tube for a harness that had more wires. Makes sense that it would only be one now that I think of it.

I got my system from Old Dominion Mustang/Camaro. They currently have a Cougar with power windows they are parting out, so they may be able to solve your harness problem.

Great! I have the correct windows - looks like these guys took everything out of the car and put it in a box for me. Thanks for the tips on the motors. I had planned on cleaning everything up before installing, including relubing, so having a video to watch is very helpful. Let me know when you get to your rebuild and we can do them at the same time.

You are correct - I interpreted your comments that there was a different tube for a harness that had more wires. Makes sense that it would only be one now that I think of it.

I got my system from Old Dominion Mustang/Camaro. They currently have a Cougar with power windows they are parting out, so they may be able to solve your harness problem.
I saw their system on Ebay for some time was that the one? I did contact them and they would not sell any pieces only complete system.

I think some of the other Fords like T-bird and Lincoln use the same switch base will look for one of them to rob harness from.

David

Ok finally got some time to upload some pictures of the PW set up I took out of a 72vert, . I was squirreling away tomatoes today canned 22 quarts and 5 pints for the long winter.

These pictures were taken when I took the power windows out of the car. I was not the original owner it is just a parts car so might not be totally correct. You can see where everything is in the door and some detail of how I got the drives out.

I will be glad to answer any questions you have and send any pictures of the system you might need. The Mach 1 guys got shorted on windows unless you got power. I ordered my Mach 1 with power windows but they always leaked. The carpet was wet the second day I owned the car.

Anyway here are the pictures I promised hope they help you see where everything goes sharing only helps our mustangs to live.

I did order a Marti on this car and it did come with the PW and lots of great options but had the standard interior. The cut outs in the door panels were made with a die not hand cut so I think they are original. This car was one of those that sat in the back going to restore until nothing was left to restore. Soooo much rust I would never attempt it.

I am sure you will have more questions so ask away I am here to help as all Forum members are.

David

DSC_0933.JPG

DSC_0937.JPG

DSC_0951.JPG

DSC_0952.JPG

DSC_0953.JPG

DSC_0955.JPG

DSC_0967.JPG

DSC_0968.JPG

DSC_0969.JPG

DSC_0972.JPG

DSC_0975.JPG

DSC_0977.JPG

DSC_0981.JPG

DSC_0982.JPG

DSC_0985.JPG

DSC_0986.JPG

DSC_0988.JPG

Awesome - a pair are on the way.
Maybe not so awesome. On the left is the original equipment part for a power window car, the right the piece from Land Rover. I am not sure you could get the Land Rover part over the connectors in the harness to even get it installed, and the ends are way too small for the holes in the door and door jamb. I don't know if the LR parts would be suitable for a car that just had door speakers installed.

2j28a3s.jpg

2zojewy.jpg

2zexowj.jpg

put some paint stripper on the originals get the paint off and wash with Westley's Bleach White tire cleaner and they will look new. You can also blast with walnut shells.

The boot is actually taped to the wires with friction tape so they do not rub in the boot pic attached for the passenger measurement. Was cleaning on this one yesterday will finish today. Going to send to stamper that is going to make the clips to use for fit up of the clip, bezel and switch. Got to cut a piece of door panel out and send also.

There should be piles of these out there they were on all cars with AM/FM, AM/ 8 Track and Power Window cars. All body styles are the same. If yours are totally dead I will sell a set but just wanted to keep for going with the windows when I sell them.

David

DSC_1966.JPG

DSC_1968.JPG

Back