• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB 351C with 4V heads

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
Looking for a 351C for sale with or without heads. The heads could be open or closed. The engine doesn't have to run but it can't be cracked or anything. My 73 project's factory engine has 36K original miles on it and I'm looking to do a 408. Still up in the air about it but I have the whole factory drive train out and it's all original. The pressure plate even has a stamp that says July 12 1972. Anyway, was thinking it might be better to just store that for keeps sake and machine another block.

What can I expect to pay for such a thing and does anyone have one local to 19040? Thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:
These are near you if you want 4V OC. https://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/d/ford-351-cleveland-4-barrel/6248662692.html $150. Chuck

I guess you are aware that all 351 two and four bolt blocks are the same down to the casting number. You cannot tell a 4 bolt without actually looking inside. There was a complete one on Ebay earlier this week out of a Torino I think.

You can actually take a 2 bolt block and machine and put the four bolt caps on. Unless you are just all out going to run really hard there is not a big difference if any in strength. I have personally never seen a failure of main cap on any engine.

I turned down two of the 2 bolt blocks for $50.00 each on one of my trips north a couple years ago.

Check your local crusher yard. They do not really take anything off just crush them can get real deals there. Also great place to find 9" rear ends. One of the scrapers here sells anything that comes in for twice scrap value by weight, Biltmore iron and metal.

I'm not planning on killing the motor with track use but would just feel better doing a 408 on a 4 bolt. Wasn't there also an issue with getting something else done to the back of the block machine wise when doing a stroker kit to avoid leaks?

73' mach 1, while having your machine work done, have the rear of the block machined for a one piece rear crank seal. As others have posted and some of my friends have experienced, the Scat crank doesn't seem to like the split seal. Since the 351 W and C use the same seal, you can use the one piece seal for the 351W built after 7-11-83. The Ford number is E7AZ-6701-A if you need a part number to reference from.

73' mach 1, while having your machine work done, have the rear of the block machined for a one piece rear crank seal. As others have posted and some of my friends have experienced, the Scat crank doesn't seem to like the split seal. Since the 351 W and C use the same seal, you can use the one piece seal for the 351W built after 7-11-83. The Ford number is E7AZ-6701-A if you need a part number to reference from.
Yes, I believe this is what I came across. Thank you very much for the added info!

Looking for a 351C for sale with or without heads. The heads could be open or closed. The engine doesn't have to run but it can't be cracked or anything. My 73 project's factory engine has 36K original miles on it and I'm looking to do a 408. Still up in the air about it but I have the whole factory drive train out and it's all original. The pressure plate even has a stamp that says July 12 1972. Anyway, was thinking it might be better to just store that for keeps sake and machine another block.

What can I expect to pay for such a thing and does anyone have one local to 19040? Thanks guys
I have a couple of blocks, some with pistons and crank.  I also have heads, both open and closed.  I'm on Long Island.  [email protected]

It sounds like you have a very nice car, lower miles AND if you have pulled the motor complete...............are looking at an assembled (easy to store) set up. Seeing that I question "just the lengths" you are willing to go? You don't mention you are sitting on 40 years of parts, SO does this mean you will disassemble the 73 for components? (brackets/pulleys manifolds etc etc)

When I see these posts, I often look and think - (I have that), then I look at location and think ( I drive there alot) BUT then SEE something like your early build date and think..........MAN if I had that car I would researching and restoring probably!

Anyway - let us know more. Sounds like you have already started down a path.............BUT if you just want to build a short block, experiment or have a winter project MANY can supply these parts. Trick is to find a guy that doesn't value 351C parts UNLESS 71 Boss parts!

Mark

Back