My 71 Build

The following is my journey so far with my 71.   I will be updating over the next few weeks since I already have a lot done. 

In 2012 my older brother purchased a 71 Mach1 and had a 460 with a c6 put in it.  Something he always wanted.  Interior was striped out except for the front seats. All the other parts were there.  The car overall wasn't in to bad of shape and was drivable.  He intended to have it restored.    He was also a pilot and had his own plane.  Over the following years he ended up putting his money in the plane instead of the car and it sat in his garage. 

Jump ahead to late 2016.  My brother is diagnosed with lung cancer and given 8 months to live.  Before he passed away in February 2017 he gave me the car.  I was honored to get it.  I was sad but excited to have it to work on.  I grew up working on cars. Been active in the industry building engines for strip and dirt tracks over the years.  

I went and picked the car up mid March of 2017.  Had it towed to the house since it hadn't ran for 4 years.  After bringing it home I started working on it.  First thing was to clean the mold off the seats and headliner. Next was to evict all the creatures that had decided to make the dash their home.

I Proceeded to change the oil, pull the plugs and valve covers and do a good visual inspection.  I then pull the distributor and used a oil pump priming tool to get oil into the bearings and up to the rockers.  I sprayed some fogging oil in the cylinder and turn it over with the plugs out. 

Satisfied that all seemed well it was time to start.  Ah, the sweet sound of a roar. Attached is the first fire up after sitting for 4 years.  Video is from March 2017. Sorry about my ugly mug.  lol

More to follow in next few days.

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

Sorry to hear about your brother. It's fantastic that you got it running. Sounds like your brother knew what he was doing when he left it to you.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Sorry for the loss of your brother. Car sounds great.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Sorry for the loss of your brother. You honor him by continuing what he started. Good luck with the car. I also have a 460 I plan to install. Not much room to work on things with the BB installed

Wisdom, knowledge and intelligence are three very different things.

1971 convertible, H-code, Ram Air

1971 Mach I, M-code, Ram Air

1972 Mexican GT-351

1988 Bronco II

Sorry to hear that sad story! But what an awesome sounding car! Do I remember correctly, did you post that story on facebook too in a group? I think we wrote together in there :)

Daniel ::thumb::

Pro-Touring 1973 Mustang named ''Creator'' ... :P

Under construction!!

Awesome looking car and I like the engine note... much more "poppy" than mine. Very nice your Brother leaving you that nice Mustang, carries a very special message from him to you in his passing, the car keeps his memory going. 

all the best to you 

Al

sig2.jpg

Enjoy's searching out 71-73 history

Thanks everyone for the kind words and thoughts.  So sorry about your brother Not A.  I'm for sure that we all here have experience grief from the lost of a family member or friend. With all of its highs and lows, its part of this wonderful journey we call life.

A note that needs to be added is that I am building this to what my brother "thought he had purchased".  See below.

And I have not posted about this on facebook. 

Getting  started:

Over the next few weeks in March of 17 I drove the car around getting the feel of it (loving the power) and just enjoying it. I've become popular. It's amazing how many people took notice and wanted to talk to me about the car. They don't do this when I'm driving my truck. lol

During this time I notice that the engine was running rich and spent the next few days working on the issue and tuning the engine.  Had to change the power valve to a lower one. Only pulling 7 inches of hg.  I know the engine has a big cam, roller tappets and rockers.  Unfortunately my brother could not remember much more about the engine he had put in it. The info I had at this time on the car was that it has a 460ci - holley 850 double pumper - C6 with shift kit - 2800 stall converter and a 3.70 traclok rear end.

I ordered a complete set of manuals and started doing some online research on the vin.  As Gomer Pyle would say - Surprise Surprise!  Its NOT a mach1.  Just a 02 base that's been dressed up.  What can I say.   My brother was misled about the car.  Unless one would know the difference it looks like and is decaled as a Mach1.  The good part is that the dash, door and fender vin match. 

So, over the past few years and as this builld progresses I will be turning it into a wannabe Mach1 for my brother.  As Don C would say, it's your car you can do whatever you want.  Thanks Don for being the voice of reason.  A few pics from the start of the project in 17 plus the vin.

More to come.

IMG-0304-1.jpg

20180501-114856-1.jpg

20180501-114911-1.jpg

IMG-1870.jpg

anonymous photo upload

Dash-Vin.jpg

Kilgon

Okay sorry about that.. I just wrote with a guy on facebook who had a story allmost like yours, sorry for that, my mistake.. cant wait to see that car come along nicely :)

Daniel ::thumb::

Pro-Touring 1973 Mustang named ''Creator'' ... :P

Under construction!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry for the loss of your brother! 

It is great to see you carry on the legacy and you are working on his car, that is now yours. 

It sounds very strong! Keep the things going and enjoy it as much as you can  ::thumb::

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

Thanks everyone again for your condolences, - Moving on.

April of 17

During this time I was taking notes on the things that needed to get done.  On the cosmetic and body side of the list was all new interior, repair battery apron, repair or replace cowl,  patch trunk floor, fix rusted area around hood latch bar, new rear bumper, repair or replace heater box, and standard body work and paint.  On the mechanical side was brakes, rear trans seal, rear end yoke seal, fix or replace smashed headers, replace heater core, and pull the radiator and have it cleaned.

I figured I would start with the battery tray and apron.  The battery tray  was missing all together and had a piece of 1 x 6 board as the tray with a bungy cord hold down.  The apron was ate out below it.  I ordered a new tray with support and hold down.  I cut out the bad area and made a temporary patch for the time being.  I will replace the apron at a later date.  Sorry but I don't have a picture of the patch.  I lost about 4 months worth of pictures somehow.  Was having a issue with my computer and it decided to erase several folders for some reason.

Battery-Apron.jpg

Ate out apron

Battery-Tray.jpg

Battery tray and hold down from company X.   :angel:

Took the car out for a spin and the power steering started getting hard.  Checked the fluid and the belt and both were okay.    Over the next few days it would come and go so I figured the pump was going.  The pump had a tag on it and appeared to be a replacement unit.  

I ordered a rebuild pump only from NAPA and got it the next day.  I pulled the old pump and found out that the pulley has been welded at the center of the hub and there was no flange for the puller to grip onto.  Had to cut the pulley off.  I checked around and found a used one on ebay for $45.  A little rusty but I would clean up and paint.

Got the new used pulley about a week later and put the pump back on the car.  Hmmm - got a whine in it.  WT#$@*!  Tried everything I could think of to make sure I had all the air out of the  system.  No luck.  Pull the pump back off and disassembled it and took back to NAPA and got another replacement.  This one took a couples of days to get.  Got it put in and all went well this time.  

Time to relax and take a drive.

IMG-0900.jpg

Pump before rebuild.

Pulley.jpg

Used pulley I got from ebay.

Pump-rebuild-2.jpg

Picture of pump from NAPA.

More to come.

Kilgon

• 2 weeks later...

Going to jump ahead in my journal of rebuilding my 71 but just got these over the weekend from the shop that's painting the car.  Got to say I'm excited.

9193.jpg

9194.jpg

9195.jpg

9197.jpg

9198.jpg

Kilgon

It is tough for sure when you loose a family member. You will always have his memory for sure.  

The car not being a Mach 1 is not a big thing. People think the Mach 1 package was a big performance thing, NOT. It was a appearance package or smoke and mirrors Ford thing.

The only think the Mach 1 package got you that you could not get on another model was the name Mach 1, The plastic runner in the front carpet, the rear honey comb tail light panel and the Mach 1 sports interior option if it was ordered with it. 

The base Mach 1 was nothing in the way of performance. You had to add options to go faster that could be added to any model. You even got the Mach 1 grill if you got the Decor Group. 

99.9% of the people that see the car will not know the difference for sure. It is your car do it like you want for sure.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Looks great!

Is it 2B Bright Red and did you clear coat it or just single stage top coat?

Color code is 3 which is bright red for the 71's.  It is 2 stage base coat and clear over it.  

9192.jpg

Base coat

Kilgon

It is tough for sure when you loose a family member. You will always have his memory for sure.  

The car not being a Mach 1 is not a big thing. People think the Mach 1 package was a big performance thing, NOT. It was a appearance package or smoke and mirrors Ford thing.

The only think the Mach 1 package got you that you could not get on another model was the name Mach 1, The plastic runner in the front carpet, the rear honey comb tail light panel and the Mach 1 sports interior option if it was ordered with it. 

The base Mach 1 was nothing in the way of performance. You had to add options to go faster that could be added to any model. You even got the Mach 1 grill if you got the Decor Group. 

99.9% of the people that see the car will not know the difference for sure. It is your car do it like you want for sure.

Thanks for the input Dave.  I agree with what you say but there is still that "attention getter" when you hear Mach1.  It is the perception that Ford led people to believe that it was special.  My brother would emphasize "Mach1" as if it was a great honor and privilege to own one. lol.   Right now as it sits about the only thing missing from the mach1 package is the hood locks as far as I can know.  Everything I have ordered for the interior was the deluxe for the mach 1.   The car already had the honey comb tail panel and the front bumper was also changed out.  Might be missing a few things yet but as I come across them I will convert over. Hopefully when I'm done the only way you will be able to tell it's not a mach1 will be by the vin.

Kilgon

That looks like some major progress and it looks awesome. Makes me want to get going on mine. Unfortunately winter is here and I am painting mine myself. No heat in my garage.

Wisdom, knowledge and intelligence are three very different things.

1971 convertible, H-code, Ram Air

1971 Mach I, M-code, Ram Air

1972 Mexican GT-351

1988 Bronco II

Thanks for the input Dave.  I agree with what you say but there is still that "attention getter" when you hear Mach1.  It is the perception that Ford led people to believe that it was special.  My brother would emphasize "Mach1" as if it was a great honor and privilege to own one. lol.   Right now as it sits about the only thing missing from the mach1 package is the hood locks as far as I can know.  Everything I have ordered for the interior was the deluxe for the mach 1.   The car already had the honey comb tail panel and the front bumper was also changed out.  Might be missing a few things yet but as I come across them I will convert over.  Hopefully when I'm done the only way you will be able to tell it's not a mach1 will be by the vin.

The hood locks were available on any model. It was part of the black out or argent paint on the hood. In 73 it cost $18.00 for the hood locks and black out paint. The Mach 1 did not get that as part of the package, at least not in 73 would have to look at the Ford Facts Book for 71 to be sure. Most will never know what is totally correct. You are building the car for you not them.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

In 1971 only the Boss 351 came with the hood locks (and ram air with hood black out). They were optional on everything else as part of the ram air package.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Back to the build

May & June of 17

Moving ahead with some of the needed items on my list to do I figure I go ahead and replace the transmission seal.  While I was under the car I notice that the rubber brake line at the rear axle was not looking to good.  After doing a little more inspection I found that one of the calipers was leaking and the main brake line from front to rear had a crushed spot in it. I decided to do a complete brake system replacement including lines, calipers, wheel cylinders, and porportioning valve which had a broken switch connector.

Once again another surprise.  The front disc brakes were not original.  Somewhere through it's journey the front brakes were converted from drums to disc.  Seem not to be a big problem until I ordered the calipers and they did not fit.  Now it became a game of trying to find what year and make they came from.  Casting number on caliper was of little help. 

Found a website where there was pictures of the various calipers that Ford used in the late 60's through the 70's.  I found a couple that look like what I had and called around trying to find them in stock.  Lucked out at Autozone.  Was able to match up and they came from a  Mustang II.  I decided to do the front brakes and replace all the lines at this time along with the proportional valve.  I would wait to do the rear later when I would pull the whole rear end out.  Due to the drum to disc conversion, the master cylinder was changed out also.  This caused me to have to change the line nuts and reflare to make the new lines work at the proportioning valve and master cylinder. 

Purchased a double flare kit from Harbor Freight.  It did the job but had to clamp the tube clamp with another c clamp to keep the line from slipping when flaring.  Also the ears on the wing nuts broke.  If this is something you do often spend a few extra dollars and buy a good quality one.

More to come.

Proportioning-valve-2.jpg

New proportioning valve

20191028-145626-resized.jpg

Caliper for 74 Mustang II

20191118-141650-resized.jpg

A little paint to spruce it up.

20191118-142621-resized.jpg

Cheap double flare kit.  Got me by but if I did this a lot I would spend the extra money and get a good one.

Craigs-List-Items-001.jpg

Brake line kit from classic tube.

Double-Flare-2.jpg

One of the half dozen double flares I had to do.

.20180606-095627-2.jpg

New lines and brakes done on the front.

Kilgon

• 2 months later...

July - Dec  2017 -  Dents and Leaks

During this time I spent a good portion of it cleaning up the engine compartment.  Seem like it took forever to get anything done with the engine in the way! LOL 

Another area I had to address was a transmission fluid leak. I was putting in a quart every time I turned around.  I had already replaced the rear seal but still had a wet spot on the garage floor.  Upon further inspection it seemed to be leaking at the line fittings at the tranny itself plus in one of the lines at a rubber splice.  They were also several kinks in them so I went ahead and ordered 2 new lines. 

While waiting on the lines I decided to pull the headers since it would make it easier replaceing the lines plus three of the header tubes where crushed and the headers were getting rusty.  I was going to replace them but after looking up the price for new headers (Hookers 6115 - $600 plus) I decided to try to fix them.  I was able to get the tubes opened back up by taking a galvanized pipe reducer and putting it on a piece of thread all.  I then heated up the header pipe with a cutting torch and drove the reducer up the individual pipes opening them back up.  Worked out well.  Once done I got them sandblasted and then I painted them - total cost - $120.00.  

Fitting.jpg

Type of pipe reducer I used this on the end of a piece of thread all to open up the pipes. 

IMG-0295.jpg

Headers after being sandblasted and painted.

I got the new lines in and installed.  I was planning on adding a trans temp gauge so I figure now would be a good time.  Pulled the pan to put the temp sensor in and got a big surprise.  I notice that the dipstick was not protruding past the end of the filler tube.  Checked the part number on the dipstick and come to find out someone had put a C4 dipstick in a C6. 

I've been overfilling the tranny because of this.  After cleaning up everything real good I was able to see that the fluid seem to have been coming from the top of the tranny vent and running down the side by the lines and also along the tailstock.  

20180507-081418.jpg

C4 dip stick 

20180508-121303.jpg

C4 dip stick in a C6 tranny.  You see the tip just sticking out in upper left.

20180508-120617.jpg

You can see the tranny oil from over filling and coming out vent.  New Lines installed.

20180510-131654.jpg

Picked up a temp to use until I can find a replacement.  You can see how much further the dipstick should have been sticking out.

Good possibility I was chasing leaks that didn't exist.  Put the headers back on and took the car out for a short trip.  Yahoo - all was good and dry.

More to come:

Kilgon