Which exhaust system on my 72 ??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sly_drums

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Grande / 351 Clev. 2V + Weiand XCelerator intake + Holley 600 CFM carb
Hey guys, I'm new here and it's cool to have a forum like that. I'm french and just bought a 72 Mustang Grande with 351 4V CJ engine.

I need a new exhaust system because the one installed is leaking and was strangely built.

I heard from Pypes, Magnaflow, Flowmaster etc. but I'm a bit lost. I need something that is street legal and prefer stainless exhausts for longevity.

Are there some great stainless exhaust systems that are ready to mount for my 72 ? Where to get the best deals ?

Thanks a lot !

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to our forum! I think you might bethefirst guy from France.

I don't know of a turn key stainless system for our cars...but there may be one out there. How much rumble/ loudness are you looking for?

Hey thanks, 1st from France whoaa :)

I need something loud but not too much, something that sounds like a V8 muscle car :)

What do you guys use ? Just saw Pypes, Magnaflow and Flowmaster systems on ebay that look great.

I also need to know the diameter of the original exhaust manifold output before I order. I guess it's 2 or 2,5 inches on my 351C but not sure, if someone can confirm that...

Okay I'm going to check them out :) How do you tweak the head pipes ? Do you have a picture ?

All of the vendors mentioned will have an H pipe and mufflers that will work. The problem is finding tail pipes that will work with the staggered shocks and rear sway bar bar that should be on the car if it originally came with the 351c CJ engine (competition suspension). I know from experience the Flowmaster tailpipes require major rework (cut into two pieces, trimmed, re-bent, and welded together). Magnaflow does not list anything for 71-73 and their 70 listing says excluding staggered shocks. Pypes does not mention the staggered shocks at all. You might consider www.mustangbarn.com part number G07289 or G07288. Also National Parts Depot part number 5210-28B. None of these sysytems are stainless steel. They are aluminized steel (coated). Good Luck, Chuck

I took mine down to a exhaust shop where they custom bent new pipes to fit. Are there such shops in France? I went with 'glass packs' but I just like the old school sound.

A proper response probably hinges on a couple of variables. Specifically, your ultimate goals for your Mustang and whether or not you want to keep it "stock."

Keep in mind that from a "performance" perspective, i.e., quicker response, better gas mileage, etc., the stock-type system is not necessarily the "best" option.

Over the years, as a Modifier, I have always spent a lot of time (and capital) on ensuring that I have the best exhaust system possible for my intended goal, which has been a very high level of performance. With that in mind, I gear the size of my pipes to the HP I intend on building in the motor. I match the headers and mufflers to that "number" and try to have no (or little) restriction. I take care of that by taking it to a custom shop and having the exhaust pipes bent professionally.

Now, if you are looking for something stock, just about any of the manufacturers you mentioned can supply you with the mufflers. Match your pipe size with those, take it to a good shop and let them bend up the pipes and install the system.

In the end, you generally "get what you pay for."

Just my .02.

BT

All of the vendors mentioned will have an H pipe and mufflers that will work. The problem is finding tail pipes that will work with the staggered shocks and rear sway bar bar that should be on the car if it originally came with the 351c CJ engine (competition suspension). I know from experience the Flowmaster tailpipes require major rework (cut into two pieces, trimmed, re-bent, and welded together). Magnaflow does not list anything for 71-73 and their 70 listing says excluding staggered shocks. Pypes does not mention the staggered shocks at all. You might consider www.mustangbarn.com part number G07289 or G07288. Also National Parts Depot part number 5210-28B. None of these sysytems are stainless steel. They are aluminized steel (coated). Good Luck, Chuck
When I saw Grande I was not thinking in terms of a comp suspension.

Sly do you have staggered shocks and a sway bar at the rear?

Back