Coupe/vert trunk lid fitment tricks? Anyone get rid of the torsion spring

I’m assembling my coupe before paint just to double check everything.

The trunk lid is driving me nuts, I have not yet figured out how get the thing to set flat.  Since it uses a single torsion spring the passenger side rides high.  

Is there some sort of trick to this?  Normally I’m pretty good at fitting things up.

I’m about ready to ditch the torsion bar and go with twin pneumatic struts or something similar to apply equal lift force to both sides.

The attached photos show how my trunk torsion bar is set up. I have not had any problems with the lid fitting correctly. Both hinges move freely.

On mine it appears that you could install a second bar for the left hand hinge if required. The hole in the left hand hinge is there and the tensioning slots on the right hand side are there.

Trunk torsion bar and hinge LH.jpg

Trunk torsion bar and hinge RH.jpg

If you are doing before paint then can move a lot more. You can put a LH spring in but you have to locate from a Cougar they had two. I sold the last one I had. Lifts the trunk with spoiler on vert or coupe. There is lots of slop in the mounting holes for the trunk and remember Ford just bent them to fit on the line. They did not just bolt on and be right. People today are crazy with gaps that nobody looked at back then.

• Like 1

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

I got ahold of West Coast Classic Cougar and buying a pair of the cougar trunk springs.

They should show up this week while i am working.  Going to try them out and fidget with the trunk fitment more next weekend.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bentworker said:

I got ahold of West Coast Classic Cougar and buying a pair of the cougar trunk springs.

They should show up this week while i am working.  Going to try them out and fidget with the trunk fitment more next weekend.

That's how I did for my fathers vert. He complained about that his trunk lid wouldn't stay open with the dealer added spoiler and it even knocked his head several times by falling from above. So I went to WCCC and bought the cougar trunk springs from 71-73. Fitted just right and my fathers head is now safe! 

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony: