Getting ready for paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
Finally found a painter.

I'll probably bring it in this weekend.

Painter said it should take 3-4 weeks since it will be brought back to the original Medium Yellow Gold from it's current Red.

I will post some pics during the process.

Wish me luck that we don't find any surprises under the current paint!

good luck with the paint. my paint job took 13 months and was set to take 3 months. always calculate more time into the paint job.

abudi

Finally found a painter.

I'll probably bring it in this weekend.

Painter said it should take 3-4 weeks since it will be brought back to the original Medium Yellow Gold from it's current Red.

I will post some pics during the process.

Wish me luck that we don't find any surprises under the current paint!
3-4 weeks? Man that is smokin through it. Make sure he does it correctly and hopefully his time frame is not a pipe dream.

Good luck. Mine was supposed to take 2 - 3 mos, but has been in the paint shop now for almost a year and a half.... Unseen things, so just be prepared and be patient.

To do it right, takes time. After the 1st coat of primer, my painter let the car sit for a few months to allow time to shrink. Made all the difference in the world.

Man, if your paint is all finished in 4 weeks, I will be most impressed. Good luck with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a couple Members have stated and/or inferred, three to four months sounds good but be prepared for it to take longer.

My experience is similar to others who have posted as my '73 Grande went in to "Paint" with a contractual promised time frame of four months but it took 14 months. And that was with me applying "pressure" on a weekly basis:).

Wishing you the very best!

BT

I paint my own cars and its very tedious work but the most rewarding at the same time.

The hardest part is choosing the color! Don't you agree?, I must change my mind on color 10 or more times! LOL

I can't make up my mind about color at all! I'm glad to find out it's not just me.

And be sure on the color when you choose one and it may be different on the car than what you wanted. Ask me how I know. Most of the time it is the first one you thought of:s
The reason I was told why it would take so short of time was that he would devote 100% of time to it and they are kink of slow right now. Plus the care is pretty much rust free.

I do have a question for the painters out there:

Could the same paint semi-flat hood paint be used for the front and rear spoilers? or are they supposed to be actually "Flat"?

thats is the original color of my car also make sure you post some pics ill be excited to see some medium yellow gold pics! i can only dream when my car will be painted :( lol

When my painter took my car, he said 3-4 months. It turned into 3 years. I'm still waiting for the front hood trim. Fortunately I held the money tight so he only got paid for what he did. It was obvious it was the only input I had on his progress. Check often, don't let him lead you on and pay only on progress. Don't get me wrong, he did a great job, but I was really disappointed that it took so long.

Thanks,

Jimmy T.

When I took mine in June 2009 they said it would be ready by Thanksgiving as they give priority to insurance work. I told them not to worry about and to take their time and do a good job. Of course it was not ready by Thanksgiving so I told them to keep it all winter since they had a special separate garage they kept it in. The had it done by March and did an excellent job!

Good luck with yours!

100_2291.jpg100_2295.jpg100_2296.jpg100_2297.jpg100_2293.jpg100_2281.jpgLook Ma, No rust! (almost)

No wonder the shop said that they would be done in 4 weeks.

I guess it pays to have an Arizona car!

He said that all paint should be stripped by Saturday.

The shop said that before we paint the car, he will paint one of the panels to make sure it's still the color I want.

He is suggesting that we add some Metallic to the paint to make it a little nicer so he will spray a sample of that too.

I'm thinking of going with the metallic as long as it doesn't take away from the original color.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back