Please help me with Koni shocks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sly_drums

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Grande / 351 Clev. 2V + Weiand XCelerator intake + Holley 600 CFM carb
My step father used to have a 71 Mustang in the eighties and at the time he put Koni adjustable shocks for road and track, which really helped the car handling. Now he helps me out a lot with my 72 Grande and advised me to order those same Koni shocks as I have to upgrade my suspension.

We searched a ton and it definitely appears that the rear shocks are still available, reference is 82-1389.

Then I can't find the front ones for 71-73 Mustangs. Those are not listed on online shops, or listed but not available when I ask for them.

Fortunately, my step father kept the bills for everything he ordered for his Mustang and the reference for the front ones he ordered was part 82-1742.

When typing this reference on some forums I found that's the same exact reference that used to exist for 71-73 Mustangs. Now when I try this reference in the actual Koni Shop part list, 82-1742 shocks do exist but that's for the australian Ford Falcon/Fairmont from 1966 to 1982 :

http://www.koni-shop.com/product.php?id_product=4074

(sorry it's in French)

My step father tells me the 72 Falcon has the same chassis and the actual 82-1742 shocks should probably work on my Mustang. Not sure though so that's why i'm here.

What do you think ? If you have some info about this please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
My step father used to have a 71 Mustang in the eighties and at the time he put Koni adjustable shocks for road and track, which really helped the car handling. Now he helps me out a lot with my 72 Grande and advised me to order those same Koni shocks as I have to upgrade my suspension.

We searched a ton and it definitely appears that the rear shocks are still available, reference is 82-1389.

Then I can't find the front ones for 71-73 Mustangs. Those are not listed on online shops, or listed but not available when I ask for them.

Fortunately, my step father kept the bills for everything he ordered for his Mustang and the reference for the front ones he ordered was part 82-1742.

When typing this reference on some forums I found that's the same exact reference that used to exist for 71-73 Mustangs. Now when I try this reference in the actual Koni Shop part list, 82-1742 shocks do exist but that's for the australian Ford Falcon/Fairmont from 1966 to 1982 :

(sorry it's in French)

My step father tells me the 72 Falcon has the same chassis and the actual 82-1742 shocks should probably work on my Mustang. Not sure though so that's why i'm here.

Too bad they do not have an actual picture of the shocks. I needd a replacement for one of my fronts and Koni found the last pair they had at some warehouse. That was about ten years ago. Those aussie ones might fit but I would search other part #'s of other brands for those Aussie Falcons to see if they also fit 71-73 Mustangs.

Great advice !

And I just found this :

!CFKlWeQEWk~$(KGrHqYOKk!E0f5BWpDMBNUQe+Nrkw~~_35.JPG

UltimaVsGabrielShocky_XF_Front.jpg

And look at this : http://www.xfalcon.com/forum/showthread.php?31251-DIY-how-to-Front-Shock-tower-spacers./page6

What do you think ? Those are Falcon XE-XD shocks, they look very similar and same #ref as my step father Konis for 71-73 Mustangs.

What is the #reference of your Konis ?

(sorry it's in French)

I have used these on my Boss 351 and work great!

Back