Intake Valley Pan Gasket Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1, 351 Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Automatic, AM/8 Track, Bright Red.
When I had my engine rebuilt, the builder didn't put the intake valley pan gasket on, I found it in the trunk after the rebuild, he said it wasn't needed...what say you?

Depends stock build with a stock intake maybe but I also say no if you are modifying or using an after market intake. Basically all it does is block the hot oil from the bottom of the intake so the choice is yours.

There's a thread on here where a lot of guys provided input about using the turkey pan. As Tnfastbk said, it keeps hot oil off the bottom of your intake, but it's personal choice. I decided not to use mine with my new intake, but many do use them. I didn't find a compelling reason to reinstall mine.

Doc

Depends stock build with a stock intake maybe but I also say no if you are modifying or using an after market intake. Basically all it does is block the hot oil from the bottom of the intake so the choice is yours.
I'm running a Edelbrock 2750 intake, 650cfm Edlebrock Thunder Series Carb with a slighly hotter cam, Petronix Igniter lll, Petronix Thunder Series lll coil, but I had the rest of the engine rebuilt to original specifications. The engine set up is primarily for realibility, drivability and street performance ...in that order.

I ran into the same thing..But all the people from jegs reassured me that the pan gasket was mainly for the original cast iron intake and not needed on the edlebrock intake i had....Cause when i orderd my intake i called them and asked why it didnt come with a pan gasket in the felpro kit...lol..I guess its not really needed with aluminum manifolds that cool much better than the old cast irons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran into the same thing..But all the people from jegs reassured me that the pan gasket was mainly for the original cast iron intake and not needed on the edlebrock intake i had....Cause when i orderd my intake i called them and asked why it didnt come with a pan gasket in the felpro kit...lol..I guess its not really needed with aluminum manifolds that cool much better than the old cast irons.
FYI, mine came with an aluminum intake and valley pan from Ford.

I keep hearing.... Retain the turkey pan "unless" the carb heat ports are blocked....which i think mine are blocked....But im no engineer im just going on word of mouth on that one..lol

I keep hearing.... Retain the turkey pan "unless" the carb heat ports are blocked....which i think mine are blocked....But im no engineer im just going on word of mouth on that one..lol
I think you may have found the real purpose for it...the heat ports probably get very hot...I'm thinking hot enough to cook splattered oil maybe it is simply to keep engine oil off of the hot part of the intake ?

I highly suggest running one. My car had a terrible vapor locking problem with the Edelbrock performer intake and Weiand Xcellerator intakes before I installed the intake pan back in there. What really made it bad was installing the ram-air air cleaner. Held a lot more heat in the carb. Surprising how well it keeps heat out of the intake. Vapor lock problem eliminated.

I highly suggest running one. My car had a terrible vapor locking problem with the Edelbrock performer intake and Weiand Xcellerator intakes before I installed the intake pan back in there. What really made it bad was installing the ram-air air cleaner. Held a lot more heat in the carb. Surprising how well it keeps heat out of the intake. Vapor lock problem eliminated.
That's an angle I hadn't even considered. I've got a ram-air cleaner and suffered terrible vapor lock issues prior to putting a half inch heat shield under the Edelbrock Carb. I just figured it was the Edelbrock Carb but sounds like could also be contributed to the lack of a .

intake pan topped off with the huge ram-air cleaner holding the heat in.

If I use the valley pan, would it go between the gasket and intake or heads and gaskets?

Back