Shrinking disk

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M Beauchamp

Reaction score
My Car
1973 light blue convertible
351c 2V
I fabricated a 4 1/2" shrinking, disk made from 12ga sheet metal

Cut a 5" disk with a 7/8" hole

Welded an old grinder lock nut to it

102_3498.JPG

Drilled the wrench holes

102_3499.JPG

I got the inspiration for this from Q's door dent repair video.

Here is the butt welded 1/4 after I straighten the weld seam out

I had purchase lead free filler to fix the 1/4's butt welds, but now i don't think i will need anything more than epoxy primer and a bit of putty.

102_3500.JPG

It takes some time to do (couple hours per 1/4) and time to learn to shrink / cool small areas

the process is basically bump/shrink/bump/shrink.

Thanks for the help Q

I fabricated a 4 1/2" shrinking, disk made from 12ga sheet metal

Cut a 5" disk with a 7/8" hole

Welded an old grinder lock nut to it

Drilled the wrench holes

I got the inspiration for this from Q's door dent repair video.

Here is the butt welded 1/4 after I straighten the weld seam out

I had purchase lead free filler to fix the 1/4's butt welds, but now i don't think i will need anything more than epoxy primer and a bit of putty.

It takes some time to do (couple hours per 1/4) and time to learn to shrink / cool small areas

the process is basically bump/shrink/bump/shrink.

Thanks for the help Q
Nice M !!!!!!!!! How bout that huh..That tool is the freaking bomb !! When you get real good at it hardly any filler required as you found out ..Welcome to the world of the true craftsmen !!!!! A lost art these days

Thanks Q

I never would have though in a million years though that I could get a butt weld smoothed and straightened out that nice.

Hopefully this will help other on the site with some of their patching.

Really once you get the hang of its probable about the same time investment as it would be to fill/sand/fill/sand/fill/sand

Thanks Q

I never would have though in a million years though that I could get a butt weld smoothed and straightened out that nice.

Hopefully this will help other on the site with some of their patching.

Really once you get the hang of its probable about the same time investment as it would be to fill/sand/fill/sand/fill/sand
Glad you took my advice..Had an open mind..Some people just don't want to listen...try new things..Thats fine but I learned the hard way what works & what doesn't..When you do this for a living day in & day out for over 25 years..You use a product..It messes up & you have to pay out of your pocket to redo a job..You learn real quick..Again very very nice..Thats the way you do metal work my friend !

Back