5mm Mechanical Pencil/Lead

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
Born an I-6, spent the teenage, 20 and 30 years as a 302, but at 40 will reach full potential as a 351C.
Yep...this is really about mechanical pencils.

I really need to use a 5mm mechanical pencil...have for YEARS.

I have bought DOZENS of different types, and used all different kinds of leads. However, every pen I use get jacked up. The lead breaks INSIDE THE PEN and then the pencil gets jammed and I need to take it apart and blah blah blah.

Maybe I not only lack a paint gene, but maybe I lack a mechanical pencil gene.

My current instrument is a PENTEL Energize with PENTEL 2H lead. I know 5mm is a lot tricker than 7mm, but I really need the 5mm. Anyone got a good 5mm pencil/lead?

Too good for Ticonderoga, huh? Then might I suggest a Graphgear 500? I picked one up at my local hobby shop to use for drawing out my stencils, but I like it enough I went and bought 3 more. If you're looking for the Cadillac of mechanical pencils my buddy has used his Rotring 800 Series for as long as I remember. I do believe the proper term to describe it is "shnazzy". Personally, I don't care to pay more than a $50 bill for a pencil I know I'll lose.

I used to have 3mm, 5mm, 8mm...had to use them at drafting school after I got out of high school. All the different drawing lines had to be a different lead thickness...object lines were 8mm and hidden guide lines were 3mm, etc. It was kind of cool, but my career went in a different direction! LOL

I'm not too picky about it but the Paper Mate G-Force in 0.5 was good enough that I went back to the supply cabinet and took the whole box of them for my personal supply drawer at my desk.

I used to have 3mm, 5mm, 8mm...had to use them at drafting school after I got out of high school. All the different drawing lines had to be a different lead thickness...object lines were 8mm and hidden guide lines were 3mm, etc. It was kind of cool, but my career went in a different direction! LOL
Me too!

I've always had good luck with Faber Castell and Koh-I-Noor 0.5 leads. Staedtler Mars makes good stuff, too (I absolutely LOVE their white vinyl erasers). They come in different grades as well. If you have a Hobby Lobby, Crafts Etc., or a similar 'chain' crafts store, they'll usually have a small area for art & drafting. Or, find a print store and/or drafting supply house (if your city's so equipped).

The pencil doesn't really matter to me, although my favorite was Koh-I-Noor that came as part of a pencil/technical pen kit the VICA Skill Olympics provided to all contestants when I went to Nationals in 1986. I 'normally' use the claw-style 'lead holder' pencils with a rotary 'lead pointer,' but can't seem to locate mine at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using the same Pentel for 20+ years. It was pricey at the time, but I guess sometimes you do get what you paid for. It's a 2-piece design, where the part that has the pocket hook pulls off to uncover the point and then serves as the eraser end.

I personally like my Swiss made Fixpencil that I bought from Lee Valley Tools several years age. I use it primarily for wood working but it is still all around mechanical pencil.

Back