Memory Lane

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Sprint Coupe, 351, Canadian decor group
I've always hated first introductions. I never know what to say.

So where to begin? Well ... how about the beginning. Some 20 plus years ago I was a young buck looking for my first car. While running around shopping with my parents we ran across a red '72 mustang Coupe (302). Man I loved that car. I still regret listening to my mechanic when he told me to get rid of it because the shock towers were rusting and couldn't be repaired. What did I know? I listened to him and off it went in favor of a little truck. :(

So fast forward to last week: I was putting together a party and one of the Invitee's is a HUGE Ford fan. I think he's one of those kinds of guys that has probably forgotten more about Fords than I can ever hope to know. So we got to talking and I found out about a couple of his current projects that are nearing completion ... and that he had a '72 taking up space in his garage that needed to go. The other projects were the cars he and his wife really wanted and that the '72 would probably wait years before he could get around to it ... plus he wanted his garage floor space back. I Promptly gathered my wife and my new friend up and left the party to go check it out.

Soon I was standing in his garage sort of 'crab walking' around all the parts and cars to the back where this car is and it was just like I remembered. Everything about my first car was sitting in front of me with just a couple of exceptions. Never in my life had I seen a mustang with a color combination like that, nor could I imagine who would have stuck a Canadian flag emblem on the rear quarter panels! LOL !! After that comment I got an education on what I was looking at, a 1972 Mustang Coupe Sprint Edition w/ 351C. Even my wife told me I should buy it if I wanted to (what a good wife...). Needless to say It's been a restless week at work while I wait to go pick it up.

So there it is. My introduction. I'm sorry but I can only offer the one picture (and I hope it actually posts ... not sure how the attachment feature works yet) but I'll be taking much more tomorrow.

72 sprint.jpg

Awesome! That's a great story. I can't wait to see more pics.

Looks like we have had a few Canadians join lately! I am American but my wife is from Alberta.

WHOOOOT WHOOOOT Congrats on the purchase, and yes you have a good wife. welcome to the site from Indiana

I've always heard stories about guys finding stuff tucked away in a barn but never actually ran across someone who did first hand ... but there it sits. 20 years in a barn. It's even sitting on (what looks like) the original tires!

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you aboard!

::welcome::

::welcome:: from central Ohio! Seems like there have been a lot of posts about the 72 Sprints here recently but I think this is the first time I have seen a Canadian Sprint. Looks like a nice car. What are your plans for the car? Post up a picture of that Canadian flag emblem. I would think that yours is a rare car.

Welcome to the site from Virginia! Great introduction! It is interesting to me to hear about the history of a classic Mustang and the how I found it story. Tell us more when you pick it up and am looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Here is a link to the Sprint registry: http://www.1972mustangsprint.com/

welcome sir..and great introduction....And what a nice car and survivor!! I have never seen the canadian version yet...only pictures of them...looks like a great ride...And yes..more pics!!..lol

Welcome, what a great find! Not only a rare car but a nice looking one too.

My car was stored in a barn for a bit and under the console I found the space between the tunnel and the console full of dried corn, hickory nuts and rat poison pellets.

My point is remove the console and seats and give it a good cleaning.

Welcome from Ontario! I think yours is only the second Canadian version of the sprint I've seen. The first one was at the North of the Boarder show about 2 years ago at Ford headquarters in Oakville. I think they did a write up of that car in Mustang Monthly....might be a good source for some info for you.

Welcome aboard from Wisconsin. Very cool story and it looks to be in pretty good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back