• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1971 429 J code Pewter w/ black for sale

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my... Absolutely stunning. I would be interested in seeing any more pics you have of either and/or both of those awesome cars. ::thumb::

Wow, not to often you see two 429 j codes side by side. This is an awesome picture to have. There was not not that many 429,s put in mustangs but, I sure do see serveral still out there. I would have assumed more would have wrecked and parted out by now.

We should start a new thread to see how many are still on the road.

Can someone lend me $35K... Please...
I think you'd need more than $35K at this point. :( I'd imagine that eBay auction is going to go the way of "reserve not met" and end up being re-listed numerous times. The dealer has this car listed at $49,988 on their web site. And when they make a statement like "You can buy it now before we change our mind, paint it and double the price!" well that shows their mindset right there.

I guess the original seller was asking $35K OBO and it's a shame that no one in the hobby was able to jump on that. I know it perked my eyes up, but that's the top end of what I'm looking to spend, over it actually, and I have no idea what that survivor car might need in the near future. The passenger side front fender looks like a repaint in the one pic from the original Turbomom listing but it doesn't look that way in the dealer pictures. The shots of the underside don't seem to indicate any suspension damage if that side was hit in the past, but pics can't be trusted entirely. This rare car will unfortunately leave the price range of musclecar hobbyists and it will end up sitting in some investment banker's collection. All I know is that I got back into the game 10 years too late and I had better find my dream '71 - '73 before everything is $50K! Better to have a stock looking car with a 408 stroker in it anyway, right? heh

If you look hard enough and wait, you can usually find a deal. I have five 71 429 Mustangs, the dark green one is a 48,000 mile original and I only paid $22,000 for it (last year) and the Grabber Green one I paid $26,000 for it restored (three years ago).

I think you'd need more than $35K at this point. :( I'd imagine that eBay auction is going to go the way of "reserve not met" and end up being re-listed numerous times. The dealer has this car listed at $49,988 on their web site. And when they make a statement like "You can buy it now before we change our mind, paint it and double the price!" well that shows their mindset right there.

I guess the original seller was asking $35K OBO and it's a shame that no one in the hobby was able to jump on that. I know it perked my eyes up, but that's the top end of what I'm looking to spend, over it actually, and I have no idea what that survivor car might need in the near future. The passenger side front fender looks like a repaint in the one pic from the original Turbomom listing but it doesn't look that way in the dealer pictures. The shots of the underside don't seem to indicate any suspension damage if that side was hit in the past, but pics can't be trusted entirely. This rare car will unfortunately leave the price range of musclecar hobbyists and it will end up sitting in some investment banker's collection. All I know is that I got back into the game 10 years too late and I had better find my dream '71 - '73 before everything is $50K! Better to have a stock looking car with a 408 stroker in it anyway, right? heh
View attachment 24315

View attachment 24316

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look hard enough and wait, you can usually find a deal. I have five 71 429 Mustangs, the dark green one is a 48,000 mile original and I only paid $22,000 for it (last year) and the Grabber Green one I paid $26,000 for it restored (three years ago).

Not doubting what you say but I don't see how the grabber green 429 car for 26k in restored condition is possible. Did you get that from someone that had to have cash right that day and you were the only buyer? Great buys on both of those cars!

Curious now about the other ther 429 cars you have. Really seems like a bunch of these 429 cars survived. Your 48k original survivor looks to be a Sportsroof to. Probably fewer of those made than the 429 Mach 1's.

I'd imagine that being a Mustang vendor you really have your nose to the ground with regard to the 429-equipped cars. I've been looking around for over a year, albeit only online (hemmings, carsforsale, cars-on-line, volocars, you name it), and I have yet to see very many cars which would interest me at a reasonable price range. Of course once it reaches a classic car dealer, forget about reasonable price. I'm not looking at purchasing Steve McQueen's '71 Mach 1 429 SCJ Drag Pack for $89K (it's out there). heh Most likely the best deals never make it online and you have to be in the right place at the right time. But your reply gives me hope that something will turn up, as well as the post by Rozz. Apologies for the continued threadjack, but I think we'd all love to see more pics of your 429's, especially that 02 VIN code Sportsroof!

I'm really not a Mustang Vendor like Don at OMS (who is great!), I just do this for fun on the weekends (after working all week) to pay a few bills at the garage. The other four 429 cars are project cars which are Grabber Blue, White, Dark Green Metallic and Grabber Lime. Two are ready for the body shop. Just need time to work on them! Here are some pictures of the 429 Sportsroof, projects and the garage. Mike

I'd imagine that being a Mustang vendor you really have your nose to the ground with regard to the 429-equipped cars. I've been looking around for over a year, albeit only online (hemmings, carsforsale, cars-on-line, volocars, you name it), and I have yet to see very many cars which would interest me at a reasonable price range. Of course once it reaches a classic car dealer, forget about reasonable price. I'm not looking at purchasing Steve McQueen's '71 Mach 1 429 SCJ Drag Pack for $89K (it's out there). heh Most likely the best deals never make it online and you have to be in the right place at the right time. But your reply gives me hope that something will turn up, as well as the post by Rozz. Apologies for the continued threadjack, but I think we'd all love to see more pics of your 429's, especially that 02 VIN code Sportsroof!

View attachment 24322

View attachment 24323

View attachment 24324

View attachment 24325

View attachment 24326

71 429 White.jpg

Berardi Car Collection3.jpg

Berardi Car Collection5.jpg

Berardi Car Collection2.jpg

Less than 4 minutes to go on the original eBay listing! I'm tempted to bid but I'd really love to find a 4 speed car. I received a message that the auction reserve had been lowered but probably not by very much. I predict the reserve will not be met and this will be re-listed. Can't really tell but I guess the paint might be a bit chalky in spots such as the roof. Doesn't seem to be marked up anywhere and the body seems straight so maybe it could get away with a color-sanding by someone who knows what they're doing (which excludes me).

Less than 4 minutes to go on the original eBay listing! I'm tempted to bid but I'd really love to find a 4 speed car. I received a message that the auction reserve had been lowered but probably not by very much. I predict the reserve will not be met and this will be re-listed. Can't really tell but I guess the paint might be a bit chalky in spots such as the roof. Doesn't seem to be marked up anywhere and the body seems straight so maybe it could get away with a color-sanding by someone who knows what they're doing (which excludes me).
I have seen the car in person. The car really needs a re spray. If you were on a budget a ton of hard work could make it look much better. Chalky is exactly what the condition of the paint is in. If you are really interested just call them and see if you can make a deal. The car does appear to be a solid survivor that is looking for a good owner to be its caretaker!

The car must have sold at the North Freeway Hyundai lot. It had been relisted on eBay after not meeting the reserve the first time, but then the auction was ended early with a reason of "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available". It will be interesting to see if this car ever pops up anywhere again. Just look for the '71 429 Ram Air without hood locks. Who knows, they could have even pulled it off their web site in order to have it painted and then list it again way higher. I didn't want to send an e-mail because their contact form asked for a phone number in addition to e-mail address (could have given a bogus number). So I opened a chat session and "Caitlyn" said she would pass along any updates on the Mustang via e-mail as soon as they were available. She asked twice for a phone number but I said I prefer to not give it out. Don't feel like speaking with a car salesman!

Back