1971 Mustang Mach 1 rust free body - $5000

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry, but this time, blunt is appropriate: This seller is a dishonest @$$hole. A completely transparent one (especially to anyone who sees the car in person), but an @$$hole just the same.

While there's nothing wrong in selling a project unibody with repop floorpans, front aprons, and a radiator support in the sale as consolation prizes for all the missing sheet metal DUE to cutting out rust...

...there is nothing honest in claiming a pile of that description to be "rust free."

If hacking rust off of rough cars constitutes the definition of "rust free" (for those who came from Google via Barrett-Jackson: No, it isn't), excuse me while I get my air nibbler out and make a few rusty cars more valuable.

If that isn't enough, we get one look at the rear floorpan here. From the brown rust marks around it, this was not only a very rough car to start with, it was bad enough that the rust started spreading to the seat risers. Floorpan rust is normal, seat riser rust suggests that the rust was rather advanced.

21exdvq.jpg

I don't even have to guess that the cowl is shot on this car ($450 more in sheet metal that's not included to fix the "rust free" car), unless he was ambitious enough to cut a big hole in it from upside-down (guess what? It's still $450 for the replacement cowl).

Granted, only an idiot would believe the "rust free" claim if they saw this thing in person, but I wouldn't be surprised if this seller is hoping for some sucker to buy it from out of state, sight unseen.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
No this is one that will sit on Clist forever and after a few months it'll be reduced to $4,900 and so on and so on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Kurt on this one, the car is a pile. I'll take the body for $100 with none of the extra crap so that I can cut the rear all to pieces for the bits I want. And a passenger fender if he has it.

Dishonest people are a real crime to the classic car market.

Dishonest people are a real crime to the classic car market.
They're not really a crime to the market as much as they are a crime to the hobby.

Those who have had the time and the money to immerse themselves in classic cars as a hobby or business will know to stay away from a seller like this (or shop around for a better deal or starting point). Anxious, eager newcomers may not have the same experience and wind up with a very bad purchase.

-Kurt

In fairness, this is a detroit seller. So this may qualify for rust free in the upper mid-west. But $5k and is is a 302-2V? pass.

The car is in Detroit Mi. I met the guy who is selling it. Why he is advertising it as rust free is beyond me. He cut all the rust out of the car so it is kinda true, but it needs a lot of work and is only an f code car.

Latest posts

Back