1st gen Camaro & 7123 'Stangs: Brothers?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, the 70 1/2 "Camaro/Bird twins were bigger than thier predecessors, just as the 71 'Stang was slightly enlarged in most dimensions over a '70.

However, where the 71 Mustang, beautiful as it is, had styling that actually made it appear even larger than it actually is...the 2nd gen F-twins featured styling that made the car look more "trim" to most people as compared to the 71 Mustang, even though they were very close to each other.

I love the looks of the '71 Mustang...obviously. It is one of the cars I love from every angle, and never get tired of looking at.

However, I love my '78 Trans Am too. Just a great looking ( and phenomonal handling) car.

The 2nd-gen F cars enjoyed 12 years of production and all the mechanical improvements that came along with it. It was a remarkable car at its peak. Too bad they were built with such haphazard haste.

Imagine if our 71-73 Mustangs had been sold for 10 or so years and had enjoyed all the upgrades that would have come with it. That would have been sweet...

I think of all the changes and improvements the Fox Mustangs received during their 79-93 run and if only the 71-73 Mustangs had been in production as long. We would of seen performance radials and suspensions, overdrive automatic and 5 speed manual transmissions, EFI induction, electronic ignition systems, rear disc brakes, electric outside mirrors that you could actually adjust without a stick (thanks Austin Vert the stick works great in my 71) and the list goes on. In fact if you put the Government and Insurance meddling aside and Ford had continued to develop the Cleveland and 385 series engines (429-460) we would of had some serious horsepower monsters on our hands.

Agree with Kitt on the 2nd generation (70 1/2-81) Camaros. They benefited from a lot of improvements over their 12 year run and were really a good handling and performing car. But the build quality was typical GM at the time. Had some Chevy buddies that were fed up with dealing with constant MAJOR electrical problems, door handles and arm rests that would break off in your hands, doors that you had to lift up as you shut them, etc. Chrysler and Ford had their share of the same type of problems so I'm not just picking on the GM cars.

Alright someone hand me an order form, I'm ready to order a new and improved Mach 1! :D

Personally I've always been a big fan of the 2nd gen Camaro/Firebird, I thought they were much better looking and handling cars. My neighbor had a 73 he bought brand new and I was always very envious of him. It was a very pretty blue RS with rally wheels a 350 and a 4speed. If I ever cross over to the dark side that's the car I'd like to buy.

Hmm, talking about Camaros... I'd love to have a 71-72 with the small front bumpers, if possible orange with white stripes, just like the one I saw at Cars 'n Coffee when we were there with Dave (69Rustang).

I still dream of that car.

Back