2V Carb installation question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
I am almost done rebuilding my carb but I can't figure out one last thing.

When I pulled the carb out there was a gasket under the the carb that was metal surrounded by rubber. Is this the gasket that goes between the carb and the manifold or is it some kind of spacer?

My rebuild kit came with two regular gaskets for for under the carb so I was wondering if I am supposed to use only one or use both between the "spacer" and the carb . Hard to explain: manifold- gasket- spacer- gasket - carb????

See picture; the spacer/gasket is on the left side.

100_1970.jpg

The one in your hand is the same type of gasket I use; it is not a spacer. If you have a new one like that, I would use it instead of the thin ones. I've never had any problems; I think the metal sandwiched between the rubber makes a better seal.

Are you using the Egr spacer? The Egr spacer has deep grooves in it for exhaust gas to travel. The grooves should be shaped like the metal on the gasket in your hand. The gasket in your hand would go on the EGR spacer. Metal side toward the groove to hold the gases in. I also cleaned carbon out of all the holes and grooves. you've got right idea. manifold,gasket,spacer,gasket,carb. I only used 2 gaskets when I put mine back together. The gaskets are awlfuly thin you might use 2 between the manifold and the spacer. MB

Are you using the Egr spacer? The Egr spacer has deep grooves in it for exhaust gas to travel. The grooves should be shaped like the metal on the gasket in your hand. The gasket in your hand would go on the EGR spacer. Metal side toward the groove to hold the gases in. I also cleaned carbon out of all the holes and grooves. you've got right idea. manifold,gasket,spacer,gasket,carb. I only used 2 gaskets when I put mine back together. The gaskets are awlfuly thin you might use 2 between the manifold and the spacer. MB
No EGR on mine.

I'll just double up on the gaskets and put them between the carb and manifold.

Thanks.

I am not sure about the 2v manifolds but on the 4v there is an exhaust pass to heat up the manifold and those metal plates in the gasket are there so you wont burn through it. The other gaskets are for after market intakes without the pass I would think.If there is a groove with holes in your intake use the one with the metal inserts

Come to think of it, that makes a lot of sense. I haven't had my carb off in a long time, but I'm pretty sure you're right. My '72 uses heat from the manifold for the choke, instead of having the long tubes down to the exhaust like my '65.

Latest posts

Back