3 Inch Exhaust

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my next question is gonna be can I bolt slicks on this thing and hit the track at 500hp and not break the toploader???
Toploaders were behind big blocks. I would think there would be another weaker link found before the transmission.

Yes but we have small in small out Toploaders for 351s and 302s. Big blocks got big in big out. I'm not sure about the Boss 351

I used Hooker Long tubes, then 2.5 inch pipes, and 40 series mufflers.... but the best thing I did was installing a crossover to get rid of the drone.. and getting the 2.5 in was a struggle on space and clearance.
Did you position the crossover at a specific distance from collectors to tune out the drone? I'm considering adding flex couplings, like you've got. How do you like them? Any leaks?

Not much published on top loader hp capability. The only number I saw was 450HP.
And it is the torque that will kill it and how abusive he shifts.

So mostly stroked, boosted or laughing gas will be the culprit

If I was a betting man I would say axle splines or u joints first

FPA headers fit the best.

I ran 3”, but just because I had the parts in my stash if hoarded parts.

Supercharger on the 351c so I might need 3” over 2.5”

I had to flatten my pipes at the transmission crossmember for clearance as the FPA’s tuck up so well.

I have hooker maximum flow mufflers and turn downs

Phone app says 110db at idle sitting in the car with door open. Tone is DEEP and rattles stuff in the garage.
What app are you using to measure the sound intensity? I'm gonna have to check that on mine.

Wondering how the X pipe changed the sound of your exhaust. Did it give your exhaust the brrrraaaaap sort of sound like the modern musclecars seem to have? They seem to have a higher pitched tone...

What app are you using to measure the sound intensity? I'm gonna have to check that on mine.
Pretty much every app in the app store for that purpose will show the same reading for a given phone, so it doesn't matter which one you pick. Each app doesn't have enough control over the hardware (microphone) to be any better or worse than other apps when it comes to measuring sound levels.

Each phone is different. Install the same app on 5 different phones and use them at the same place, and you can get 5 different readings. So the numerical db levels you get from a phone app are mostly useless as far as raw values go. What it is useful for is comparing sound levels from different situations, while using the same exact phone, with the same exact system settings. Comparing how loud your phone thinks it is between riding a city bus vs out camping in the woods. Cell phone microphones are also terrible with loud noises.

Keeping all that in mind, this is the sound level meter I use when I find myself needing one.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gamebasic.decibel

1712947116530.png

Last edited:
Blanket statements are not always accurate. Some of my bends measure 2.6". Some of them are 2.5". None of them are close to 35% smaller. Half in inch off 3 is 16% reduction. If anybody asks, I tell them those bends are there to help keep up my backpressure for maximum horsepowers. :D
Lmao Ye I'd say 40% would be a hacker's extreme. Anyway 3" is more likely a 2 1/2 w muffler shop bends. All considering if you run a baffled muffler, you still have the back pressure /restriction. In a perfect world we can change jetting accordingly. Cutouts and electronic tuning can get close if it's injected. Best to run zoomies & a blower. I just noticed your photos and will probably steal some of the angles they used for the extra clearance going over the axles.

Well my next question is gonna be can I bolt slicks on this thing and hit the track at 500hp and not break the toploadeJ

Well my next question is gonna be can I bolt slicks on this thing and hit the track at 500hp and not break the toploader???
That's about the max the input shaft can handle, other than that the top loader is pretty durable. I know a guy named Big Jim who left burnouts everywhere he went. He killed everything else except the tranny & maybe a couple of panels.

Did you position the crossover at a specific distance from collectors to tune out the drone? I'm considering adding flex couplings, like you've got. How do you like them? Any leaks?
I just mocked it up in the best tucked in position to clear the transmission cross brace... then tack welded it and pulled it out to finish weld it... no leaks on the flex and to fit the 2.5 pipes without more custom work they where the easiest way to go.

Wondering how the X pipe changed the sound of your exhaust. Did it give your exhaust the brrrraaaaap sort of sound like the modern musclecars seem to have? They seem to have a higher pitched tone...
It is called decibelX

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/decibel-x-db-sound-level-meter/id448155923

Xpipes normally raise the pitch some, but mine is pretty deep. That might have to do with the compression. Almost 10:1 with the the blower and a cam designed to help with the compression and blower.

Attachments

• IMG_1661.mov
    28.7 MB
Lmao Ye I'd say 40% would be a hacker's extreme. Anyway 3" is more likely a 2 1/2 w muffler shop bends. All considering if you run a baffled muffler, you still have the back pressure /restriction. In a perfect world we can change jetting accordingly. Cutouts and electronic tuning can get close if it's injected. Best to run zoomies & a blower. I just noticed your photos and will probably steal some of the angles they used for the extra clearance going over the axles.
Interesting vid here on straight through mufflers

They have another when you ad offset

Attachments

• 1987_ferrari_412_gt_1537457561146fe366201ff7431IMG_20180914_160324.jpg
    1987_ferrari_412_gt_1537457561146fe366201ff7431IMG_20180914_160324.jpg
    800.2 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back