351c running poorly

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the past couple of days it seems to be going back to running poorly. Vacuum is a little lower and a little more unsteady.
Will, I'm sorry you are still having problems. Are you running a dual vac distributor? Do you have a thermostatic vacuum tree? If not, how old is your distributor? My assumption is that you are using Mallory's 'under the cap' Unilite system and not the full distributor.

thanks, Marc

Is that a vacuum advance line disconnected?

pic http://www.7173mustangs.com/xthreads_attach.php/942_1309806224_e35e57c6/e661eab08d11313913bbee705ba2b9ca/mi1.JPG

look right above Ford Motorsports on the valve cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the replacement Mallory distributor. It is a single vac which I run to manifold.

I took the cap back off today and tried cleaning the surface of the led/pickup and again it was dirty. Not as dirty as before but a little. It occurred to me I had not cleaned up the rotor and such so I wiped it all down.

While looking at the rotor I noticed this:

It's a little hard to make out but compare it to the other side:

On the top photo you can see where the plastic has been rubbed off just below the notches. These are # 1 and #3 firing. If you look really close you can see a new scrape starting above the more obvious one, this is because I used a piece of paper to help 'raise' the rotor assembly.

Hardly a smoking gun but it is interesting. I loosened the trigger module and moved it back just slightly (it is all it would move) and then tightened it again. I am going to go fire it up and see what happens. I am not sure why this would cause issues with #1 and #3 but there is a curious correlation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back