429/460 solid engine mounts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn72mach1

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mach1 351 Q code c4 /3500 stall, 4.11 gears.
I have 3 72 Mach1's and am building one into a drag race car. i would like to know where i can get solid engine mounts to install a 514. i don't want to use an engine plate setup so would appreciate any information or advise on OEM style solid mounts from someone who has installed a big block. thanks.

Make your own..
piper.....thanks for the input. actually, i just want to buy some solid mounts so that i don't have to make any. i don't feel like the hassle and trial and error involved in "making" i have lots of other things i will make. thanks again and i look forward to hearing from anybody who knows where i can buy some solid engine mounts for drag racing.

Crites Restoration Parts has the mounts you are looking for.
clevelandcoupe, thanks for the information. a "lady"answered the phone at Crites, who wasn't interested to even talk to me, just told me "solid mounts are just regular mounts with a bolt installed through it", "and you can do that",..."that's all we would do"!!!....then, just wanted to get me off the phone,before i could even order the mounts. I called right back to verify what she had told me because i wasn't sure i heard her correctly....just hillbilly a bolt through a rubber mount.... is a solid mount at Crites ??? so she was so indignant that i called back....she hung up on me before i could order the mounts again! I was very polite and cordial despite her rude and miserable personality. Unfortunately one of the worst customer experiences i have ever had......all because i called to "buy something" and interupt what ever she was doing. what do you think.....would just bolting oem style mounts work? i will be using an 800 plus hp 514.

Shawn.. Unfortunately, the response you got from that sales woman is typical of whats' happened in the US these days.. I was in Walmart this week and a woman asked an employee where the Dust Busters (hand held vacuum cleaner) were located.. The girl responded with "what's a Dust Buster?)... Go figure..

I should have been clearer about making your own solid mounts.. What I have done in the past was to bolt the cushioned mounts together. The rubber insert is to protect the passengers from engine vibration which can be severe, especially with a big block that has been cammed up.. I have removed the mounts, drilled thru an open area, inserted bolts with a long shank and installed the retaining lock washers and nuts to be tight so as to not collapse the rubber cushion. It gives two advantages by preventing the mounts from breaking and retains the cushion against vibration at the same time..

Keep in mind that if the mounts are collapsed by removing the rubber cushion, it could possibly affect the saddle height of the engine and drivetrain.. Also could stress the transmission mount by not sitting at the correct height..

Sometimes, we have to be creative with these older cars..

Hope this helps to get the ideas out there for you..

Shawn.. Unfortunately, the response you got from that sales woman is typical of whats' happened in the US these days.. I was in Walmart this week and a woman asked an employee where the Dust Busters (hand held vacuum cleaner) were located.. The girl responded with "what's a Dust Buster?)... Go figure..

I should have been clearer about making your own solid mounts.. What I have done in the past was to bolt the cushioned mounts together. The rubber insert is to protect the passengers from engine vibration which can be severe, especially with a big block that has been cammed up.. I have removed the mounts, drilled thru an open area, inserted bolts with a long shank and installed the retaining lock washers and nuts to be tight so as to not collapse the rubber cushion. It gives two advantages by preventing the mounts from breaking and retains the cushion against vibration at the same time..

Keep in mind that if the mounts are collapsed by removing the rubber cushion, it could possibly affect the saddle height of the engine and drivetrain.. Also could stress the transmission mount by not sitting at the correct height..

Sometimes, we have to be creative with these older cars..

Hope this helps to get the ideas out there for you..

Piper, thank you for responding. yes,i know what you are saying about customer service. this woman should not be on a customer service sales line. i was going to buy the mounts i asked about and she didn't even want to sell them to me.i will just buy elsewhere! so...how many bolts did you put in the mount and how well did it work? thanks again for the input.

Back