5-speed conversion questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
-What are my options for converting to a 5-speed; kit or piece the parts together?

-Best place to buy kit?

-What all parts do I need?

-Any modifications to the floorboard?

-Do I look for a used transmission or do I have to buy new?

-If buying used:

What model?  

What should the cost be?

Are there modifications that have to be done to a used transmission to make it fit

-What troubles or anything else should I expect?

-I have a 460 that will eventually be installed.  Are all parts interchangeable?

Just for information, a friend of mine is building a Mach 1 from the ground up. He too is dropping in a 460 and is going with a 6 speed manual. Without checking, there is one made especially for the Mustang and has a smaller case so no tunnel mods are needed, but they ain't cheap!! I'd go 6 speed if I was doing it and had the cash.

I just bought a TKO600 from Modern DriveLine with most of the accessories needed. I am also converting from auto to manual. I have not yet installed them so I can't give you feedback on functionallity. One item of concern is that the TKO600 is designed to up to 600 lb/ft so if you are above that you will need a modified one or another box. The TKO600 with MDL's crossmember allegedly fits the tunnel without any modifications.

EDIT: fixed typo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a TKO600 from Modern DriveLine with most of the accessories needed. I am also converting from auto to manual. I have not yet installed them so I can't give you feedback on functionallity. One item of concern is that the TKO600 is designed to up to 600 lb/ft so if you are above that you will need a modified one or another box. The TKO600 with MDL's crossmember allegedly fits the tunnel without any modifications.

Please post your info as you do the conversion as I'll be doing the exact swap only with an upgraded 3550. Already have the transmission, clutch and bellhousing. Just need to buy the cables, pedal, etc.

If you don't mind try to take some pics while you are doing the install and w write up if possible.  :D

Wade

If you don't mind try to take some pics while you are doing the install and w write up if possible.  :D

Wade
I will be posting on progress. Right now I am working on some sheetmetal and rust issues and then I will start with the conversion. This is my build thread but I may start one just for the conversion:

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-muscletang-mod-project-thread-1971-m-mach-1

I wrote an extensive post on my experience. Let me see if I can find it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back