Convert Auto to Manual

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told the same thing actually from Modern Driveline and others. Went at it the first time to just fit it up there and see where we need to start cutting and everything just worked. No clearance issues anywhere, plenty of room all around it and the shifter was located perfectly.

Not sure if my car is somehow weird, but everything I read and everyone I talked to before installing this said that I'd need cut but thankfully I didn't have to. So I'm assuming it's like you guys said and most of the experience is with older cars and not that mine is just some kind of oddball with a phat tunnel.
Like you I can't answer for a 71 to 73 floor but I've done it 4 times into 67 to 70 cars. 351W to 429 in the 69 and it fit perfectly no cutting anything.

I am changing the FMX in my 1971 351C fastback to a 4spd toploader as I don't want to change the 3.00 gears to accommodate the overdrive transmission. I am also using an external slave cylinder when installing the hydraulic clutch. I was tempted to use an internal slave cylinder but didn't want to chance any problems in the future. The cost of the manual change would be to much if I bought the transmission and gear change along with the EXTENSIVE refurbishment of the complete car.

I am changing the FMX in my 1971 351C fastback to a 4spd toploader as I don't want to change the 3.00 gears to accommodate the overdrive transmission. I am also using an external slave cylinder when installing the hydraulic clutch. I was tempted to use an internal slave cylinder but didn't want to chance any problems in the future. The cost of the manual change would be to much if I bought the transmission and gear change along with the EXTENSIVE refurbishment of the complete car.
My car does fine with the TKX overdrive and my stock 2.75:1 rear.
Here it is with the tremec calculator app and my tire size. 2000 RPM is 74MPH in overdrive. With 3.00:1 rear end, 2000RPM is cruising at 68MPH.
1710464094939.png

Back