71 429 Engine Side Z Bar Equalizer Bracket

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barty2000

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach1
Hi all,

Does anyone know if they reman the 71 429 ENGINE SIDE Z bar equalizer bracket? Even an aftermarket one of any kind will work for me. If not I will end up making one but I'd rather take the easy way and buy one.

Thanx,

-Barty-

Barty,

I used a 351C frame bracket and modified the Z-bar to work with my 460 & toploader transmission.
What did you use on the engine side? A frame bracket on the motor?

Actually, I modified an early mustang v8 bracket to fit on the 460, it was actually pretty easy. I an sure any motor bracket for a 429-460 could be  modified also....
I was looking at the small block engine bracket and it looks pretty similar. I would assume the bolt hole spacing is the issue. Figured if I had to make one I would get that and modify it.

Thanx!

If you need some 351c Z-bar parts and brackets I have some used stuff that I can sell you. They need some resto wrork, but if you will be modifying them anyways...

You can file the 351C version to fit but then it sits at the wrong angle. I stopped doing that & fabricated one instead from 1" angle with a pie slice & bend, some 14 gauge (I think) steel and a sturdy bolt for the nylon ball, all welded together. I had to use socket head cap screws because the Lakewood bell does not give you enough room for hex head bolts. Sorry no pics at the moment, maybe the weekend.

Ok, couple of pics for you. First is a side view of my fabbed bracket, second shows 351C bracket next to my 385 series bracket. You can see that because the big block bellhousing goes higher (or has a larger diameter), there is less of an angle to the top bolt. You can also see the 385 has no need of extension of the bearing stud like the 335 series does. Yes I got the hole to clear the dowel in the wrong place...

Socket head capscrews as shown are about the only things that will work between the bracket & the bellhousing. Used the same on the passenger side too. They were all cut to length. Also note there are welded on washers under the bracket behind the bolt holes to lift the corner of the angle to clear the radius of the bellhousing. The washer just visible is propping the bracket up for the photo. The top pair of bell bolts are hex head but shorter than stock as the steel bell is thinner than the stock iron one.

Back