71 Coupe 460/T56

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love them too, my dad has a set on his FFR Cobra.

I mounted the tires today and everything fits. 285/40/17 on a 17x10.5 rim with 6.8" back spacing. Next time I'm going to squeeze 315s on since I still have a couple inches of room in there. Didn't have time to get to the front today but I'll get on it soon.

I just put the wheels on the car. I haven't really seen a lot of information in one place on what works well, it's usually scattered around a thread, so I'll post all that I have learned here. 

Rear: Running a 17x10.5" FR500 wheel in the back with 6.82" backspacing and  a 1.5" spacer, and the tire is a Nitto 285/40/17 NT555ZR. The spacer was not necessary but I love the look of a wider stance. If I had gotten the 1" spacer I would have enough clearance for a 305 or 315 tire. Will definitely be running Mickey Thompson ET Slicks at some point on this setup. 

Front: The front is a 17x9" FR500 wheel with 5.95" backspacing and a 1.5" spacer, and the tire is a Nitto 245/45/17 NT555ZR. I have enough room in the front to fit a 265 easily. 

All in all I'm impressed with the ride quality and handling difference with this setup, and it can take a decently hard launch with minimal traction loss with cold tires on an unprepped surface. It's also a bonus that 1994-2004 Mustang rear wheels are a direct bolt on with no spacer required, and the 17" wheel is a perfect medium between classic small wheel big sidewall and a big wheel low profile modern look. I couldn't have done better for a $475 set of wheels!

Next on the agenda is Brakes, Suspension, and Rear while I have the car decommissioned to put the 460 in it. Also keeping it automatic until I have about $5,000 to drop for a TR6060 or maybe the worlds first TR6070 swap. 

Who is running aftermarket brakes on their car and how do they work? 

For suspension I was looking into either a 1" drop in the front or just cutting the spring a tiny bit for about a 1/2" drop. 

Any recommendations are appreciated! Thanks!

It's been a while since I've been on the forums, but I rebuilt my transmission after having a string of bad luck with it, not too bad for my first time. Didn't get many pictures of the process because I was covered in oil. Next up I'm looking to try my luck in upholstering this winter since I won't be driving after they salt the roads in two months. Also possibly going to reroute the exhaust to fit nicely around the driveshaft, and I'm looking for a different sound more like a modern mustang. Any ideas on how to achieve this would be greatly appreciated.

The wheels and tires look great, love the wide stance. Ryan

302 to 460 Motor Mounts? I’d assume the all use the same frame just different mounts. I’d like the 460 in asap before I cave and buy a Z06 since I’m getting bored with a Honda civic. Who’s swapped the 460 in a small block car and which mounts did you use?

Back