71 Heater Box wo/ AC

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Hi guys,

I wanted to replace heater core in my Mustang since it's permanently disconnected due to a leaking issue (according to previous owner).
But when I saw the Heater Box... It's in really bad shape, clearly been glued before. So I starter to consider a total replacement for whole box. Being affraid of doing anything with current setup to not demage it even more, I've starter to Google for new box first, and here I got confused.

I can see plenty of new or refurbished Heater boxes for 64-68. I have found 69-70.
But when I try to find 71-73 all I see is Heater Box with fabric AC.
My mach was built without AC, only heater. And I can't find dedicated box. Tried NPD, CJ, RockAuto, eBay, Amazon, few European shops. Nothing.

Is that really so rare? Or I don't know how to find it?

Cheers!

I'm going to guess: the heater boxes were different from 69/70 between non-AC and AC. Starting in 71, the wiring was different between non-AC and AC, but I don't know about the boxes. In 72/73, all vehicles got AC wiring, so my speculation is that there are only AC heater boxes for the later years.

I'm going to guess: the heater boxes were different from 69/70 between non-AC and AC. Starting in 71, the wiring was different between non-AC and AC, but I don't know about the boxes. In 72/73, all vehicles got AC wiring, so my speculation is that there are only AC heater boxes for the later years.
As I can see, the shape of the box is totally different, also, in my Firewall there is no hole for the fan to stick out.

Check with Mike @Motorcity Mustang He may have a serviceable box in his stash.
I've been on his ebay, there is no heater box there :( But thank you for the suggestion :)

I took a heater box out of my '71 to add after-market air conditioning. Maybe we can come to an arrangement if you are interested? If you are interested, I can send a couple of pictures?
JD.

I have the same issue did you have to remove or loosen the dash to remove the old heater box?

I have the same issue did you have to remove or loosen the dash to remove the old heater box?
You do not need to loosen or remove the dash to R & R the heater box. Removing the carpet helps but is not necessary. Since it is only four bolts, I would recommend removing the passenger seat to allow better access.

I took a heater box out of my '71 to add after-market air conditioning. Maybe we can come to an arrangement if you are interested? If you are interested, I can send a couple of pictures?
JD.
Hi, sure thing. Please, send some in private message.
Have you changed anything in that heater box or is it like factory one?

As I can see, the shape of the box is totally different, also, in my Firewall there is no hole for the fan to stick out.

I've been on his ebay, there is no heater box there :( But thank you for the suggestion :)
Let me check at the garage upstairs and outside, I have 26 cars that are not all taken apart yet.

Let me check at the garage upstairs and outside, I have 26 cars that are not all taken apart yet.
Thank you, I'll wait then for some info.

No matter if and who will find that part, I'm really affraid of potential final costs (part cost, shipment, duty).

I'm sorry if I won't be able to afford that in the end. :(

Sorry about the delay. Only have AC units on the shelf, but do have heater units in the cars out back. You are correct, shipping would be a lot unless you found someone bringing a car over to Poland from the US and you could put it in the container with the car.

Attachments

• IMG_7701.jpg
    IMG_7701.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9521.jpg
    IMG_9521.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 0
Sorry about the delay. Only have AC units on the shelf, but do have heater units in the cars out back. You are correct, shipping would be a lot unless you found someone bringing a car over to Poland from the US and you could put it in the container with the car.
Thank you, I appreciate your hard work.
I'm working on that with James from previous messages as well as some shipping companies. But as you said, the package alone will be rather overkill.

Cheers

Back