71 mach 1 drum to disc conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach 1 marc

Reaction score
My Car
71 mach 1 lincoln 460,72 Grande 351 cleveland
Any help would be great we got aftermarket booster and master from npd went to install and it would not go through firewall boot was to big they say it is missing a bracket but it seems as though it will all be out to far over valve covers once installed any suggestions. Part #2005-22ab booster conversion seems to big any suggestions as to an alternative? Installed 1102-15sb disk brake conversion kit on front end. Thanks in advance Marc

Hello Marc,

I have converted two mustangs from drum to disc. I checked out the master booster kit from NPD, http://www.npdlink.com/store/products/booster_conversion_kit_power_brake-103499-0.html and wow, that is a nice setup. I believe your issue lies in the part with number 2B180. I would check the hole size diameter of the 2B180 plate.

Source: Ford master Parts

2gxpguv.jpg

2j346jo.jpg

1qo9dx.jpg

au7fgw.jpg

I hope this helps out.

mustang7173 :D

I SWAPPED DRUMS FOR DISC ON A 70 AND 72 . DIDNT USE POWER BOOSTER ON EITHER JUST PUT THE SPINDLES AND ROTORS NEW MASTER CYL AND PORP VALVE. NO POWER BUT THEY STOP 100 TIMES BETTER THAN DRUMS. HAVE THE ORGINAL POWER BOOSTERS FOR BOTH IN BOXES WITH PEDALS. I WAS TOLD THAT TO USE BOOSTER YOU HAVE TO CHANGE PEDAL BECAUSE OF ROD. TOO MUCH WORK UNDER DASH.

Hello Marc,

I have converted two mustangs from drum to disc. I checked out the master booster kit from NPD, http://www.npdlink.com/store/products/booster_conversion_kit_power_brake-103499-0.html and wow, that is a nice setup. I believe your issue lies in the part with number 2B180. I would check the hole size diameter of the 2B180 plate.

Source: Ford master Parts

2gxpguv.jpg

2j346jo.jpg

1qo9dx.jpg

au7fgw.jpg

I hope this helps out.

mustang7173 :D
Thanks, That was alot of work i appreciate the hard work... I went with a different booster and its in now i have to figure out how to get the plunger to hook to the pedal as its a couple of inches lower. thanks marc

Marc,

What product did you go with? Maybe need to look into the Power Brake pedal.

mustang7173
i went with the stock rebuilt booster from npd it slipped right in but pedal does not line up. do you know what peddle and where i can get it thanks for your help marc

Do you still have the drum brake parts? I'm looking for spindles and hubs.
Yes i do they are in good shape a little rust they were working fine i just wanted Disc in the front., Thanks marc

Last edited by a moderator:
Marc,

What product did you go with? Maybe need to look into the Power Brake pedal.

mustang7173
Thanks ,Yes the last milestone is the pedal i need to find the right pedal as the hook ups do not line up. I am considering welding on a new stub andd making our own on existing pedal. thanks marc

Thanks welded a new stub on the existing pedal today painted it will install after i finish some real paying work and see if it lines up and works will attach pics later... Hey THANKS ALOT!!!!!!!! marc

I had the brakes changed on my car. Meaning I found all the bits on a rusted out mustang and had someone else do it. This was about 20 years ago.

The power booster I was told is needed. There was a problme with it attaching t the pedal and the guy doiing it had to do some welding to a rod to make it reach the pedal.

To complete the process you need to replace the rubber cover on the pedal with one that has a foil washer glued to it saying "disc"

I had the brakes changed on my car. Meaning I found all the bits on a rusted out mustang and had someone else do it. This was about 20 years ago.

The power booster I was told is needed. There was a problme with it attaching t the pedal and the guy doiing it had to do some welding to a rod to make it reach the pedal.

To complete the process you need to replace the rubber cover on the pedal with one that has a foil washer glued to it saying "disc"
OK

I think I may have a spare pedal in the garage. I'll look today. If not I'm sure Don at OMS probably has one. I'll let you know in a while.

Thanks welded a new stub on the existing pedal today painted it will install after i finish some real paying work and see if it lines up and works will attach pics later... Hey THANKS ALOT!!!!!!!! marc
Not trying to be smart, but I hope that's a good weld. You would be amazed at how hard you can hit that rascal when you round the corner into an oncoming log truck. :s

Drum to Disc Conversion front,New coil springs and KYB shocks Front, New Tie rod Ends and sway bar front. New 4 Leaf and shackles rear Custom Fab Break pedal for new master and booster. New strut Rods. Thanks for all the input

CAM00362.jpg

CAM00369.jpg

CAM00370.jpg

CAM00371.jpg

CAM00372.jpg

CAM00374.jpg

CAM00376.jpg

Latest posts

Back