71 Mach 1 option ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcernuto

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Mach 1 1F05M178043
The car I'm picking up was ordered with the extra cooling option and heavy duty battery.

What did extra cooling and heavy duty battery consist of?

Thanks!

I think the heavy duty battery was a 70 AMP

The Selectaire a/c included a 55 AMP alternator and extra cooling package.

The car I'm picking up was ordered with the extra cooling option and heavy duty battery.

What did extra cooling and heavy duty battery consist of?

Thanks!

The car is a non AC car

So would that mean it received a say a three core radiator over a two core? How the fan blade? would it be different? would the fan be clutch or non clutch driven?

I might be wrong but standard cooling got 4 blade no clutch fan. Hd. battery was the bigger 27F battery over standard 24F

vcernuto, The extra cooling option mainly consisted of the radiator your car would have received if equipped with AC. There were no clutch fans used on 71-73 Mustangs. Most standard cooling vehicles had a 4 blade fan, and depending on how your car was already equipped, would have received the 5 blade fan like the AC cars if it didn't already have one.

The heavy duty battery option for a non 429 car would have included a 70 ampere (like timsweet said) 27 series battery and a 55 amp alternator. The 429 cars received an 80 ampere battery with the 55 amp alternator as standard equipment. There were actually three different 27 series batteries in use, but the 70 and 80 ampere models were most commonly used in our Mustang's.

I do not know if the Ford recall on the fans was 71 - 72 or just the 73 that I got. They were flying apart at high RPM. I think some might have gotten hit reeving the engine with hood open while working on car. I never took my in for the recall have the letter in a box somewhere. They had flex fans back then that lay flat at high rpm.

vcernuto, The extra cooling option mainly consisted of the radiator your car would have received if equipped with AC. There were no clutch fans used on 71-73 Mustangs. Most standard cooling vehicles had a 4 blade fan, and depending on how your car was already equipped, would have received the 5 blade fan like the AC cars if it didn't already have one.

The heavy duty battery option for a non 429 car would have included a 70 ampere (like timsweet said) 27 series battery and a 55 amp alternator. The 429 cars received an 80 ampere battery with the 55 amp alternator as standard equipment. There were actually three different 27 series batteries in use, but the 70 and 80 ampere models were most commonly used in our Mustang's.
Correct on the extra cooling and hd battery options.

1971 Extra cooling.JPG

I do not know if the Ford recall on the fans was 71 - 72 or just the 73 that I got. They were flying apart at high RPM. I think some might have gotten hit reeving the engine with hood open while working on car. I never took my in for the recall have the letter in a box somewhere. They had flex fans back then that lay flat at high rpm.
David, the fan problem actually started in 72 with the Gran Torino. They utilized a new 7 blade flex fan and it didn't take long before Ford realized they had a problem. A shop tech was killed by a fractured blade that came loose while leaning over the front of the vehicle while some one was revving the engine. There was a massive recall that involved all the Torino/Montego cars to replace the 7 blade fan with a new design 5 blade fan. In 73 the recall was expanded to other car lines that were now experiencing problems with the 5 blade fan. Before the dust had finally settled on the fan problem, Ford had run the fan recall campaign from 1972-1980.

I do remember seeing a letter from Ford cautioning the shop techs NOT to lean over the front of the affected vehicles while the engines were running. Fortunately that's something I quit doing after I had a timing light cord get caught by a fan. After it reeled enough of the cord to snatch the light out of my hand, it cut the cord and then slung what was left of the timing light back at me about 100 MPH. I was a know it all 18 year old at the time, and unfortunately I had an audience who reminded me what I looked like running from the flying timing light for the next year!! :cool:

Steve,,

I had one encounter with the fan on my 71 Maverick. I was on one of my cross country trips and had got sleepy so pulled into a rest area and was checking under the hood. I had the engine running and was leaning over with my hand on the small fan shroud. It slipped off and my hand went into the fan. I got about 10 cuts on my thumb before I could get out of there. So here I am in the middle of Iowa but lucky I always carry a first aid kit. No deep cuts but the burrs on the fan are like little razor blades. My hand was black and blue the next day and was a pain for most of the trip.

A friend of mine was working on his dirt bike and had put a new chain on and lubed it up. He had it on a stand with it running in gear to spray the lube on. He had a rag and was going to wipe the oil that was slinging off and boom the chain caught the rag with his hand and went into the rear sprocket. The engine stalled with his fingers in the sprocket. His brother was there and he yells for him and he comes over. They decide the best thing to do is loosen the rear axle and push the wheel forward to get his hand out. When he did two fingers fell to the floor. His brother about passed out cannot stand blood. They wrapped them up in shop towel and headed to hospital. They sewed them back on but were never right.

Moving belts and chains and rotating machines will eat you up before you can blink you eye for sure, and being 18 and bullet proof does not help either.

LOL...Yep, 18 and bullet proof is dangerous. Ford was using the Torino sourced 5 blade fans on the 302 and 351 AC Mustangs in 73 after they thought they had the 7 blade fan problem solved. Then the 5 blade started developing some cracks, but in smaller numbers, so that's probably what your recall letter concerns. When I started in Oct 75 the recall was still going strong. Usually one fan out of 10 had some cracks, but Ford said to replace them all. I had three 72 Gran Torino's. My only new one was a Q code built 5/12/72 and had the new fan from the factory. My used Q code had a 7 blade with many cracks (Ford records indicated the recall had never been performed) and the third car was the 429 car with a 19" fan and clutch set up so it wasn't involved.

You ought to call your local Ford dealer and tell them you have a recall letter on your Mustang and need to see if the have the parts in yet! :whistling:

Guys my 72 Q code convertible was one of the very last Q code convertibles built. Actual build date was 7-29-1972.

Fred Jones Ford in Oklahoma City was tuning up the car and they informed us of the recall and replaced the old fan. They told us the same story Steve (secluff) described. So my car did not have the newer fan installed from the factory.

Ray

Ray, probably had a lot to do with type of car being built and plant volume. In 72 the Mustang was down to three engine displacements and one assembly plant. The Torino had five different engine displacements and was built at three different plants. So fan stock was probably depleted a lot quicker at the Torino vs the Mustang plant. When I checked on my 5/12/72 built car I was told the Vin was not involved in the recall. My used Q code (built 12/71) was involved and went through two fan replacements. My 429 Torino used a clutch style fan and was not involved. After going through two fans on the early build Q car I finally found a fan/clutch listed for the 79 351 Police Interceptor that would work. No more problems!

Latest posts

Back