TurboStart 27F battery?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Long time Pontiac guy, jumped ship, now driving a '71 Grabber Green Mach 1 with "J" code 429 Cobra Jet, close-ratio 4 speed, 3.50 Traction-Lok rear.
My '71 Mach 1 429 CJ-R is in need of a replacement battery. I was just going to get a 24F or 27F EverStart Maxx at Walmart down the road from my house. Have used that brand in other daily drivers and they work out well. Also have AutoZone and others in that vicinity. However these period-correct looking batteries have always interested me. Has anyone used one of the TurboStart batteries from CJ or Jegs? My car is more of a "day two" restoration and not concours by any means, but it would still be cool to have an original appearance battery without using a topper on a standard battery. It's a little tough to find a battery with a flat top as well.

I thought these used to have the AUTOLITE and sta-ful in red, but they seem to just be black in all recent pics. Then I found a Shelby judge online who said that many of these batteries were just black on the assembly line, and the replacements would have the red color on the words. One guy had painted the red on the lettering, and after learning that he removed it. heh Sharing any experiences regarding these batteries would be appreciated.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/turbost...klGIxds4nXZh9k3eq-QREaAuUTEALw_wcB#product-qa

Back