71 Mach drag racing stories and others

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in Western N.C. we had a 1/4 mile strip in the 60's and early 70's called A&H Dragway for Asheville & Hendersonville. It was built on the old airport in the area of Fletcher, N.C.. Then I only had my 1950 ford with the flathead. I will have to look for some old timing tickets I did get into the 15's with a flathead running in "T" or "U" stock. But nothing stock about it, lol. I can remember when the L.A. Dart I think it was called came and it lost control and ran into the cars parked beside the strip. They loaded up and got across the state line ASAP. I can remember the big 64 Ford Galaxie that would show up and blow everyone away. You could pull up and park to watch the drags. There were no guard rails. I saw on HiPo 289 65 mustang blow a flywheel near the end of the run and it cut the headers into and also the steering column, no blanket or shield. The strip was over 1/2 mile long paved since it was old airport so he coasted to a stop. The winner most weeks was Totssie Paity in his 289 HiPo Comet if he lost it was because he missed a gear. That car was never on the road and was called Little Do Do. I think his family still has it but now some big block in it's place. There were even 60 HP flathead dragsters that ran. It was forced to close because of people complaining about the noise and they could never find anywhere to open a new one due to everyone being against it.

Sadly I did not take any pictures my sister might have her and her husband met drag racing in town. He had a 57 chevy hardtop with 283 and 2 - 4 V. We had a 57 Ford hardtop with 312 V-4 and he could never beat her 1/4 mile or top end.

Great times,

David

[email protected] Very reliable and fun 351 4v, have driven this car from North Carolina to Florida
SHHHHHHHhhhhhhWEET Ray!!! I want SO bad to run my car just once. But mine has a hard twist to the right off the line. Putting new tires on to see if the fact that I've cleaned the tread off mine has affected my torque vs tread issue. Wifey says "you sure you want to wreck it now that you have it painted?" :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
DESCRIPTION: In late 1968 after returning from Vietnam, Andy Plym of Niles, Michigan caught the drag racing bug, and soon after purchased a Boss 302 Mustang. Having limited success he turned to Gapp and Roush Racing of Livonia, Michigan for advice. They suggested a 428 1970 Mustang coupe. This was the start of the Polaris Drag Team. Team members included Larry Mihaleil, Jerry Baker, Wayne Van Gilder, Bill Reeves, and Andy Plym. They went with a Red, White and Blue patriotic theme called the “American Way”. Super stock racing was very successful to the Polaris Drag Team. So they decided to add a Pro Stock car to their efforts.

With the expertise of Larry Mihalek and his connections with the Ford Drag Team, they selected a new 1971 Fastback Mustang. It was a plain Jane, Grabber Blue, 6 cylinder, 3-speed, Sportsroof, VIN 1F02L135858. The 1971 Mustang car was immediately cut apart at the dealership, and hauled to California for acid dipping. It was next taken to the Logghe Brothers Shop for tin, brakes and chassis work. They chose a Gapp and Roush raised port Boss 429 engine backed by a B&M clutch and a C6 transmission. These were all first for Pro Stock. A Dana 60 with 4:88 gear ratio was used. The body is currently restored to the same red, white, and blue Polaris Drag Team colors, including the unique red, white and blue interior – seats, door panels and carpet. This car was raced Nationwide along with the Super Stock car, winning many awards including the Best Appearing Crew Award in Indianapolis in 1972 and 1973. When the team disbanded after the 1973 season, the car was painted all red and raced in the Midwest until it was put in storage in the mid 80’s.

Fast forward to 2012 when VIN 1F02L135858 received a rotisserie restoration on the original acid dipped body, which includes a fiberglass hood and deck lid, and it still retains the Logghe tin, brakes and chassis work. A Holman and Moody Boss 429 was topped with Gapp and Roush Raised Port Heads and matching tunnel Ram which Dynoed at 703 HP. All this is backed with an NOS B&M clutch which operates a C-6 transmission. This Polaris Drag Team Pro Stock 1971 Mustang is a TRUE piece of drag racing history. HIGHLIGHTS - 1971 Pro Stock Mustang, the original Polaris Race Team “American Way” - Vintage 1970’s Pro Stocker with documented history - Holman Moody fresh Boss 429 engine, dyno tested at 700 HP - Gapp and Rousch raised port heads with matching tunnel ram - B&M clutch operated C6 transmission - Original acid dipped 1971 body - Dana 60 with 4.88 gears - Rotisserie restoration - Fiberglass hood and deck lid - Best Appearing Crew award at Indy in 1972 - Originally a six cylinder, 3-speed car that was converted to a Pro Stocker when new - A unique part of drag racing history - Press release kit

I actually have an original press release kit from this race team. Jerry Baker is an old family friend here in OKC. I haven't spoke with him in a couple of years - last I heard his health was marginal at best... Serious Ford fan.

here are some pics of the (new 6 cyl) car being stripped. Jerry told me the dealership (I think in Michigan?) and its salesmen were freaking out that anyone would totally destroy a complete car to make a race car!

Ray
New article in Hot Rod Magazine about this cool car.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/the-saga-of-polaris-racing-1971-mustang/

Ray

Digging around in the shed today and foun a couple photos of my second drag car at Baylands in Fremont CA.

73 Firebird Formula Street/Strip

Pontiac 455

400 heads

six pack intake

super T10

411 12 Bolt

33066iw.jpg

23hvqwx.jpg

Back