71 Mustang Lower Door Hinge Spring Replacement?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmhouse440

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Coupe
I am looking to replace the torsion spring on the lower driver side door hinge on my 71 Coupe. How easy is it to do with it on the car? I currently do not have the ability and do not want to go through removing the fenders atm to change the entire hinge. I purchased a set a used OEM hinges and realized that the driver side torsion spring was missing, BUT there is one on the right hand lower spring. Are left and right springs interchangeable or side specific?

There is a west coast classic cougar (WCCC) YouTube video on replacing door hinges leaving the doors on the car.
if I recall it correctly there is a special bent tool that is required with doors on...to get around the corners
I can’t answer about the springs interchangeable between sides, tho

I recently replaced mine without removing any body parts. My helper aligned the new spring with a 16" pry bar (door and fender edge protected with folded cardboard just in case). While the spring was held in alignment, I tapped it into place with a 12" drift. The operation took about 1-2 minutes. I would not try it without a helper.

Good to know. Thank you! Do you know if the S springs are side specific? I have a right hand spring and was trying to get it fitted to the left side.

Left and right hinge springs are different. I'll see if I have one on a parts hinge...

Last edited:
As long as yo are getting into the hinge to replace the spring, I suggest you get a set of door pin bushings and replace them at the same time. It won't have any impact on the spring, but is will help correct any drooping the door may have due to worn bushings. Some kits have only the bushings, others have both the pins and bushings.

Back