Door hinge torsion spring help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a spring break and I had to find and buy a used hinge to get one from. You need to pull the hinge off the car (after marking the exact location or drill a small hole through the hinge and door pillar to use to relocate) and do it in a vise. It was not easy to do, I'll warn you, but it is doable. I tried to do it in the car, but there is not enough room to twist the spring to get in in. The other alternative is to buy a replacement hinge, but I'm told they are not that good and why I opted to fix the one I had. Also in my case, the bushings were still good, but that would be a good time to refurbish the entire hinge.

Funny I had actually read your thread before I posted. I was searching through to see if others have had this problem.
Hi again,
Glad to be of help. Looking back on my original post, i think your best bet now is my option 3, and deal with West Coast Cougar and buy an (original factory used part) off them. If it proves to be defective, for any reason, you should be able to exchange it or get your money back. Don't waste your money like i did on crumby aftermarket hinges that don't perform. I would also spend some extra money and buy the new bushing kit as well at the same time.(a zert kit is the ultimate way to go here for even more extra money spent) You can then clean up the hinge,respray it to the correct color and you should be good to go.

Best of luck in what ever way you choose to go.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/71dsl.html
Greg.:)

Is there a recommended method of upsetting the pin after installation? By upsetting I am referring to the smashing of the end so it is retained after installation.
Sorry, not sure on doing that sweging procedure, as i have never done one before. Try looking on U Tube for help on sweging hinge pins maybe. Another Forum member may know as well. Off the top of my head, i would imagine blow torching the tip of the pin to red hot, then holding the pin with a set of vice grips just down from the red hot heated tip, and tap on the end of the pin tip with a hammer to compress or shape the pin tip so it balloons out somewhat.
There may be a special tool for this application as well.

On the West Coast video, he gets out of trouble by installing the new pin bushing from the top going down instead of from the bottom going up, and then the need to sweg the pin tip. (See the video)

Greg:unsure:

Back